Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By arcachon

Thread: Should I buy a new Sunbeam EM7000 or a second hand Lelit PL41LEM?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Should I buy a new Sunbeam EM7000 or a second hand Lelit PL41LEM?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I'm wanting to buy a machine to use with my Eureka grinder at home, I am tossing up between a new Sunbeam EM7000 or a second hand Lelit PL41LEM (via Jet Black Espresso).

What are the pros and cons of each machine? I want something that will make me a quick coffee in the morning, so ideally I don't want to wait too long for it to warm up.

Thanks in advance!

What sort of coffees are you making? Is it just the once in the morning for you and that's it? Which Eureka grinder do you have? What sort of beans do you use?

The Sunbeam will heat up quickly as it uses thermoblocks, the PL41 will also be quick as it has a small single boiler. The Sunbeam will be faster to make a milky coffee on as you can do both at once because it has 2 thermoblocks. The Lelit only had the one boiler so you have to wait a minute or two between pulling shots and streaming milk or vice versa. The Sunbeam is generally considered easy to use but also somewhat limited in quality. The Lelit will be simpler to operate (less functions / buttons) and with a little attention to detail produce decent milk drinks.

The Lelit should outlast the Sunbeam by a couple of lifetimes, but as it's second hand it may have lived one already (I'd still expect a second hand Lelit to survive longer than a new Sunbeam).

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    What sort of coffees are you making? Is it just the once in the morning for you and that's it? Which Eureka grinder do you have? What sort of beans do you use?

The Sunbeam will heat up quickly as it uses thermoblocks, the PL41 will also be quick as it has a small single boiler. The Sunbeam will be faster to make a milky coffee on as you can do both at once because it has 2 thermoblocks. The Lelit only had the one boiler so you have to wait a minute or two between pulling shots and streaming milk or vice versa. The Sunbeam is generally considered easy to use but also somewhat limited in quality. The Lelit will be simpler to operate (less functions / buttons) and with a little attention to detail produce decent milk drinks.

The Lelit should outlast the Sunbeam by a couple of lifetimes, but as it's second hand it may have lived one already (I'd still expect a second hand Lelit to survive longer than a new Sunbeam).
    Thanks for the input. I think I like the idea of looking after a new sunbeam as the lelit may have already lived one lifetime. I just ordered the sunbeam. Thanks

Having come from the Sunbeam myself I will never go back to the thermoblock. Temperature regulation far more variable which led to inconsistent brew quality. Topped off by the prohibitive repair costs with the inevitable breakdowns. Also taking it to the authorised Sunbeam repair centre you have the inevitable wait of several weeks while "waiting for parts".

I went from the Sunbeam to a 2nd hand HX machine, which was the best move ever. Not just the improved quality of coffee but the serviceability of it. If something goes wrong the part is replaced and the machine runs like new again. Not a case of dumping it because the repair costs nearly as much as a new machine (which happened with the Sunbeam).
    level3ninja likes this.

I went from a e6910 to the E7000 and it's much better. Quieter, faster frothing and better built.

Very happy with the machine, pulls great shots and warms up quickly.

The one slight issue I had, was the seal between the handle and spout deteriorated and the spout was sitting on an angle. But, one email to Sunbeam and they sent me a whole new handle for free!