Results 1 to 33 of 33
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By science-teacher
  • 1 Post By science-teacher
  • 1 Post By Greenlai

Thread: Breville Dual Boiler V Oscar II

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    27

    Question Breville Dual Boiler V Oscar II

    I have been debating and deliberating for some time now about the next machine. My old Sunbeam 6910 is still producing good coffee but she is old and goes through group head seals much quicker than it should. It looks tired and with each new seal I find myself saying "ok it is time to retire the old machine". Trouble is I then have to make a decision about what to replace it with.

    After much research I have come to the point of considering either the Breville DB or the Oscar II. They are not too far apart in price and as we tend to make mostly milk based coffees so the ability to steam and pour the espresso at the same time is appealing (I think I would struggle to move to a single boiler arrangement after the 6910). Yes the BDB has more options/features but I am not sure I would spend a whole lot of time playing around with these to be honest.

    So my questions are as follows:
    • Can owners of the BDB and Oscar II (I don't imagine you will be the same people) comment on reliability? Any issues with faults? Ease of repairs / service if required?
    • If you had to choose between one of these machines which would it be? Why?
    • Any comments on the quality of the finished product on either machine?


    Thanks in advance for your input.

    Matt

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    25
    If price isnt an issue Id go with the oscar 2. To me breville is a home appliance maker. I know they have great reviews.

    I don't like the looks of the Oscar 2 but the specs and reviews are good

    Just curious what kind of grinder you have. That maybe the upgrade i make first. A better grinder will help an espresso maker but a better machine wont help much if the grinder isnt good..

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    27
    I have a Rocky for a grinder. Pretty happy with that.

    I tend to share your perspective on the Breville "appliance". Guess I'm just seeking feedback on going with the OscarII with a few fewer features but an extra $200-300? I can live with the look of it (it's different for an espresso machine but I don't hate it). I think (need to check the specs to confirm) it is a more compact size so would occupy less space on the bench (that would please the better half but not sure it would sway the argument over the cost).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    18
    Are you talking about BES920 when you talk about the Breville?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    CQ
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by wilpark View Post
    If price isnt an issue Id go with the oscar 2. To me breville is a home appliance maker. I know they have great reviews.

    I don't like the looks of the Oscar 2 but the specs and reviews are good

    Just curious what kind of grinder you have. That maybe the upgrade i make first. A better grinder will help an espresso maker but a better machine wont help much if the grinder isnt good..
    I agree with your comment about the oscar 2, looks crap but HX with good specs, and your conclusion that it is a proper machine vs an appliance.
    However,
    "Guess I'm just seeking feedback on going with the OscarII with a few fewer features but an extra $200-300?"
    $200-$300 difference?
    I don't think so. The BES920 can be had for $794 at harvey norman, the oscar is $1,349.00 at dipacci. nearly Double the price
    Last edited by science-teacher; 14th July 2018 at 05:25 PM.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    7
    Bes920 is back up to $999, Harvey Norman would go back down to $899 without too much pushing but not the infamous $7xx

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by drwharris View Post
    Are you talking about BES920 when you talk about the Breville?
    Yes thats the one.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by TMaKK View Post
    Bes920 is back up to $999, Harvey Norman would go back down to $899 without too much pushing but not the infamous $7xx
    Advertised price across the board seems to be fairly consistent at $999. I agree tbat many of those stores will negotiate that down a bit.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    27
    So i am left still wondering why i would shell out the extra $ for the Oscar 2 over the Breville dual boiler? I have to say that there is certainly part of.me that WANTS to but that is just me liking the idea of moving away from "an appliance" and onto a "propper" machine. But that's probably not a good basis to make the decision on.
    Having said that, the chair of the home committee has .ade.some positive remarks towards the Oscar ��

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    29
    The Oscar will have similar internals to the more expensive HX machines. The plastic external is I guess what makes it cheaper.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    CQ
    Posts
    139
    @TMaKK
    Quote Originally Posted by TMaKK View Post
    Bes920 is back up to $999, Harvey Norman would go back down to $899 without too much pushing but not the infamous $7xx
    @ Mattm14
    Advertised price across the board seems to be fairly consistent at $999. I agree tbat many of those stores will negotiate that down a bit.
    Oops, I meant $794, not $744.
    I only say $794 because I purchased one two weeks ago for $794 as per the expired listing here-
    https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/385991

    Oh, and this past price list here that I created before purchasing at the end of June.Previously has been:
    - $782.13 (C&C) @ Bing Lee on 09/05/2018
    - $799 @ Harvey Norman on 08/01/2018
    - $639.2 + Delivery or Free Pickup @ TheGoodGuys on 18/12/2017
    - $639 Click and Collect @ Bing Lee on eBay on 25/11/2017
    - $719.20 @ Bing Lee eBay on 23/11/2017
    - $799 ($699 with The HN Amex Offer) + Delivery or Free Pickup @ Harvey Norman on 21/11/2017
    - $679.15 @ The Good Guys eBay on 21/06/2017
    - $679.15 @ The Good Guys eBay on 19/06/2017
    - $835.05 Delivered @ Bestbuyonline eBay on 10/05/2017
    - $799 Coffee Machine ($749 with AmEx) @ Harvey Norman on 04/05/2017
    - $721.65 @ Bing Lee Online on 24/04/2017
    - $990 @ Myer Online on 23/04/2017
    - $799 @ David Jones (in Store) on 12/04/2017
    - $999 at Myer on 20/02/2017
    - $799 on Clearance at The Good Guys on 11/02/2017
    - $798 @ Bing Lee on 02/01/2017
    - $798 ($698 after AmEx Cashback) @ Harvey Norman on 6/12/2016

    I wouldn't exactly call the price
    infamous
    considering it was been that low or lower 10 odd times in the last year.

    I'm happy to upload a pic of my receipt if anyone wants to try and get them to backdate it but i doubt it'll help.

    Best of luck
    zeezaw likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    CQ
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattm14 View Post
    So i am left still wondering why i would shell out the extra $ for the Oscar 2 over the Breville dual boiler? I have to say that there is certainly part of.me that WANTS to but that is just me liking the idea of moving away from "an appliance" and onto a "propper" machine. But that's probably not a good basis to make the decision on.
    Having said that, the chair of the home committee has .ade.some positive remarks towards the Oscar ��
    I doubt you'll regret the oscar.

    But it would relate to quality of parts and serviceability. That much stainless/copper isn't cheap. The HX would do a similar job to the dual boiler but remember the breville is pretty much the only dual boiler under 2k so there's something funny going on.

    I'd say final call depends on how much you use it and how much you'll get out of it. A coffee or more a day I'd go the oscar if you had the coin.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by science-teacher View Post
    @TMaKK

    @ Mattm14

    Oops, I meant $794, not $744.
    I only say $794 because I purchased one two weeks ago for $794 as per the expired listing here-
    https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/385991

    Oh, and this past price list here that I created before purchasing at the end of June.Previously has been:
    - $782.13 (C&C) @ Bing Lee on 09/05/2018
    - $799 @ Harvey Norman on 08/01/2018
    - $639.2 + Delivery or Free Pickup @ TheGoodGuys on 18/12/2017
    - $639 Click and Collect @ Bing Lee on eBay on 25/11/2017
    - $719.20 @ Bing Lee eBay on 23/11/2017
    - $799 ($699 with The HN Amex Offer) + Delivery or Free Pickup @ Harvey Norman on 21/11/2017
    - $679.15 @ The Good Guys eBay on 21/06/2017
    - $679.15 @ The Good Guys eBay on 19/06/2017
    - $835.05 Delivered @ Bestbuyonline eBay on 10/05/2017
    - $799 Coffee Machine ($749 with AmEx) @ Harvey Norman on 04/05/2017
    - $721.65 @ Bing Lee Online on 24/04/2017
    - $990 @ Myer Online on 23/04/2017
    - $799 @ David Jones (in Store) on 12/04/2017
    - $999 at Myer on 20/02/2017
    - $799 on Clearance at The Good Guys on 11/02/2017
    - $798 @ Bing Lee on 02/01/2017
    - $798 ($698 after AmEx Cashback) @ Harvey Norman on 6/12/2016

    I wouldn't exactly call the price considering it was been that low or lower 10 odd times in the last year.

    I'm happy to upload a pic of my receipt if anyone wants to try and get them to backdate it but i doubt it'll help.

    Best of luck
    Infamous might have been an exaggeration!

    Your records give me some hope that I will pick one up for the $7xx sooner rather than later.

    Cheers!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    CQ
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by TMaKK View Post
    Infamous might have been an exaggeration!

    Your records give me some hope that I will pick one up for the $7xx sooner rather than later.

    Cheers!
    Fingers crossed mate, however there was a gap from June to Novemberast year. Maybe cross your toes too!

  15. #15
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by science-teacher View Post
    1.the breville is pretty much the only dual boiler under 2k

    2. so there's something funny going on.
    1. No itís not.

    2. What on earth makes you say that? Itís clearly due to economy of scale.

  16. #16
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattm14 View Post
    So i am left still wondering why i would shell out the extra $ for the Oscar 2 over the Breville dual boiler? I have to say that there is certainly part of.me that WANTS to but that is just me liking the idea of moving away from "an appliance" and onto a "propper" machine. But that's probably not a good basis to make the decision on.
    Having said that, the chair of the home committee has .ade.some positive remarks towards the Oscar Ū*ĹŪł€
    Have you had a good look at both of them in person? Would be a really good idea.

  17. #17
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,232
    BDB is a great machine when it works, lots of user friendly features and capable of great brew with the right ingredients and technique. if/when it break the places that can fix it are limited and if you DIY the part suppliers are limited. looks a bit more like an appliance (subjective). for $7xx its amazing value. resale is poor.

    the oscar is more a "traditional" machine, built on a different level, and built more to last.

    Have a play with both if you can.

    cheers

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    CQ
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    1. No it’s not.

    2. What on earth makes you say that? It’s clearly due to economy of scale.
    1)Hit me up with some knowledge then mate.
    I know there's a lelit and probably an isomac but they ain't near $794
    2) not near $794 is what makes me say that

  19. #19
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    644

    Breville Dual Boiler V Oscar II

    Iím going to buck the trend and say donít discount the BDB due to its appliance status.

    Tonnes of features. Quick to heat up and makes great coffee. Easy for non snobs to use too. Grab an extended warranty or buy with a CC that adds warranty to all purchases though for extra peace of mind.

    If you can stretch the budget Iíd buy the Oscar but not without contacting Antony and getting the OPV upgrade (added opv) so that would push the price slightly higher again.

    For reference Iíve owned a BDB, R58, Duetto 2, Linea Mini and currently have an Oracle, Strega and BZ10 but havebt owned an Oscar II.

    Can honestly say the BDB punches well above itís weight (although Iíd love to have my modded linea back!!) especially when you factor in the cost.
    Last edited by Lukemc; 14th July 2018 at 11:03 PM.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Have you had a good look at both of them in person? Would be a really good idea.
    The Breville yes. Yet to eyeball the Oscar 2 in person but would certainly be doing that before any final decisions are made.

  21. #21
    338
    338 is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    460
    Science teacher, admire the research you did to track the price of the Breville from Dec 2016 till June 2018 when you made your purchase, I honestly couldn't have held out that long. Impressive. What finally tipped you to buy, especially as you chose to buy when the price was at the higher end?

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    CQ
    Posts
    139
    @338. I actually kept an eye out while had a sunbeam prior to the breville.
    While deciding between the breville and a rocket (similar to this thread) I checked all previous prices and collected them in one place to ensure I was getting a decent deal.

    I actually ended up paying $694 with the amex deal which was about $50 off the lowest price.

    I pulled the trigger because I got the refund on the sunbeam after 3 years of use and was without a machine for a few months while waiting. Torture. (coincidently, I still can't use it while I wait for a Sette 270wi grinder )
    338 likes this.

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    25
    im in the US and have the sette 270wi. makes great fluffy grounds but se ding it back for a spartan commercial grade grinder Ceado E5p. my understanding is they do not sell Ceado in Aus.

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    25
    https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/nu...presso-machine

    there is a video review towards the bottom.

    In the US the Bes920xl ranges from $1150-1300. so price gap between the two is much less. for 1/2 the price maybe the breville is the better choice and an option for a nicer grinder.

  25. #25
    338
    338 is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    460
    Very diligent, science teacher. My guess was going to be catastrophic failure initiated the purchase, but was interested in the psychology of a purchase especially from someone as organised and with as much self control as you.. Sorry to hear your present grinder wait is causing another hiccup for you.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    CQ
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Very diligent, science teacher. My guess was going to be catastrophic failure initiated the purchase, but was interested in the psychology of a purchase especially from someone as organised and with as much self control as you.. Sorry to hear your present grinder wait is causing another hiccup for you.
    Haha all good mate. It'll be worth it in the end (I hope).

  27. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    29
    Oscar II is the latest
    Casa Espresso likes this.

  28. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattm14 View Post
    Yes thats the one.
    I've had 1 since it first came out. I had a 2 year warranty and just before it ran out I had the electronic pressure regular replaced along with a bunch of seals which were causing the wand to leak. 12 months later (2 months ago) I had to have exactly the same work done.

    Other than that I love my machine but if it does it again I can afford $300 every 12 - 24 months.

    The machine makes 40-50 cups of coffee a day and apart from the 2 periods of downtime has been faultless in making great coffees.

  29. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    25
    the breville does have some terrific features. it seems like a nice coffee maker. if you cant live with it after a couple of weeks Im sure you can exchange it for the other one and viseversa

  30. #30
    338
    338 is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by wilpark View Post
    the breville does have some terrific features. it seems like a nice coffee maker. if you cant live with it after a couple of weeks Im sure you can exchange it for the other one and viseversa
    Wilpark, most retailers, especially specialist retailers of items like the Oscar don't really have terms where you can use the item for a few weeks then return it because you have changed your mind. The two items here also aren't generally sold by the same vendor.

  31. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Wilpark, most retailers, especially specialist retailers of items like the Oscar don't really have terms where you can use the item for a few weeks then return it because you have changed your mind. The two items here also aren't generally sold by the same vendor.
    thanks for the education. here in the states the same vendor will sell both with a 30 day return policy. you will have to pay for return shipping and maybe a restock fee.

    this is tough choice.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Maddington, Perth. Wa
    Posts
    410
    Oops. Bit mixed up there.
    I have a musica and like its looks. So i also like the looks of the oscar2. The musica has had its share of issues, but it is a older machine and was needing love when i got it. The latest was the brew pressure was down. I shimmed the 'non adjustable' opv with copper washers.
    No experience with thd db.

  33. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    BDB is a great machine when it works, lots of user friendly features and capable of great brew with the right ingredients and technique. if/when it break the places that can fix it are limited and if you DIY the part suppliers are limited. looks a bit more like an appliance (subjective). for $7xx its amazing value. resale is poor.

    the oscar is more a "traditional" machine, built on a different level, and built more to last.

    Have a play with both if you can.

    cheers
    I'd venture to say even for resale you'd probably lose less money with BDB than OSCAR if you're planning to sell say in 3 years time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •