Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By TampIt
  • 3 Post By noidle22
  • 2 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By noidle22

Thread: Is this 6910 PF stainless or brass?

Is this 6910 PF stainless or brass?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a few photos in attaching of a sunbeam 6910 portafilter I'm looking to buy! Wanting to get brass so I can easily convert to a naked version, but don't want to buy if it's another stainless. How can I tell from photos? And been told it's 5+ years old easily too! Help would be great as the item goes till Monday 10:40am.Screenshot_20180714-233204_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20180714-233201_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20180714-233153_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20180714-233204_eBay.jpg

Calling @level3ninja

Why don't you ask for photos of the inside, often if there is wear it wiĺl show the underlying material.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg\

This is the only photo I could get sent so I'm not sure what to look for and hopefully you guys do!

Looking at that photo I can't see any brass wearing through, which unfortunately doesn't help as also doesn't mean it is not brass. Hopefully someone familiar with the brand knows another way to tell

Would you be able to find a metalwork / machine shop near you. If there not busy it should be cheap to get them to cut the stainless one on a lathe. Quicker and nicer finish possibly. Just take the handle off it to make life easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    Would you be able to find a metalwork / machine shop near you. If there not busy it should be cheap to get them to cut the stainless one on a lathe. Quicker and nicer finish possibly. Just take the handle off it to make life easy.
    I wanted to do myself with a hole saw but read that stainless takes hours and hours in comparison to a brass one. I can always just buy and ask them what it'd cost or just attempt it myself on a lathe

Quote Originally Posted by FilthySudo View Post
    I wanted to do myself with a hole saw but read that stainless takes hours and hours in comparison to a brass one. I can always just buy and ask them what it'd cost or just attempt it myself on a lathe
    Yeah youíll need a lathe for stainless. Itís quick and easy and gives a better result including with brass. A general engineering workshop shouldnít want much more than $20 for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Yeah you’ll need a lathe for stainless. It’s quick and easy and gives a better result including with brass. A general engineering workshop shouldn’t want much more than $20 for the job.
    My grandparents have a lathe I believe but what tool would I need to cut through it?

My grandparents have a lathe I believe but what tool would I need to cut through it?
    I havenít actually done it myself as my mate always does it for me on his lathe. Itís a cutting tool of some sort I guess. The lathe owner should know.

I suspect it is brass (about 60% educated guess), which means it is older than 5 years. Be aware the 6910 stainless p/f is a lot thinner and easier to work than the 7000's, so to an extent it is worth a punt. If it is stainless, just get the proper cutting fluid - do not use water. Oh, and use a lot of the cutting fluid (easy to recycle it "on the job").

If in doubt, try contacting a few repairers of SB and ask them to keep the p/f from any machine they scrap.

TampIt
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Use a parting tool. Stainless work hardens, so dont mess about, dig into it.

I think it might be brass. Look at the underside of the locking ears. Looks a bit brassy there

It's a portafilter from an early model machine and will be brass.

Indicators are:

1. The large rounded lip of the basket rather than the later model smaller ridged lip.
    2. Smaller contact area of the two portafilter ears. You can see about halfway along the ear the different level.

Another indicator that can't clearly be seen in these photos is the spout thread pitch. Early models have a coarse thread and later models have a fine thread. I think there was a crossover where stainless portafilters had coarse threads, not quite sure.
    Generally speaking though, coarse thread is a brass portafilter.
    inorog, Jackster and FilthySudo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    It's a portafilter from an early model machine and will be brass.

Indicators are:

1. The large rounded lip of the basket rather than the later model smaller ridged lip.
    2. Smaller contact area of the two portafilter ears. You can see about halfway along the ear the different level.

Another indicator that can't clearly be seen in these photos is the spout thread pitch. Early models have a coarse thread and later models have a fine thread. I think there was a crossover where stainless portafilters had coarse threads, not quite sure.
    Generally speaking though, coarse thread is a brass portafilter.
    Ahh this sucks! I missed this item thinking it might not be brass! I shall send through photos of my current photo to see if you know if it's the stainless model then 20180716_181806.jpg20180716_181816.jpg

Ahh this sucks! I missed this item thinking it might not be brass! I shall send through photos of my current photo to see if you know if it's the stainless model then 20180716_181806.jpg20180716_181816.jpg
    Wait till you see whatís hiding under that plastic insert!!!! Itíll be horrific.
    inorog and 338 like this.

Wait till you see what’s hiding under that plastic insert!!!! It’ll be horrific.
    Should I not keep it in there when making coffees??

Should I not keep it in there when making coffees??
    No. Definitely not.

No. Definitely not.
    Relatively quite good! This was after a very quick wipe and looks good! But before that had a slight brownness from coffee
    20180716_185936.jpg

Relatively quite good! This was after a very quick wipe and looks good! But before that had a slight brownness from coffee
    20180716_185936.jpg
    Oh thatís good. You must do regular backflushes which would help keep it clean. Iíve seen portafilters in all sorts of horrid states under there.

Oh that’s good. You must do regular backflushes which would help keep it clean. I’ve seen portafilters in all sorts of horrid states under there.
    Ever since I have had it I've always back flushed monthly or so, and always washed out portafilter

I'd say it's probably brass, going from the threads. Are the two ears like in the photo of the original one you wanted or are they longer?
    You could just check by scraping a small amount of the chrome away from an inconspicuous spot and checking the metal.

Regarding the plastic insert, I had a machine in once and the complaint was a funny taste in each coffee. After I established their coffee and grinder was ok, I checked the shower screens for old coffee residue with not much found. They had been cleaning it as I had recommended from the first time I saw the machine.

I forgot about the plastic insert until I gave the portafilter a clean. Once I removed it, the source of the taste was evident. A mostly decomposed cockroach.

You wouldn't believe the amount of earwigs I've removed from within Nespresso machine outlets as well. Given it's a capsule machine, they probably made the coffee taste better.
    level3ninja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    I'd say it's probably brass, going from the threads. Are the two ears like in the photo of the original one you wanted or are they longer?
    You could just check by scraping a small amount of the chrome away from an inconspicuous spot and checking the metal.

Regarding the plastic insert, I had a machine in once and the complaint was a funny taste in each coffee. After I established their coffee and grinder was ok, I checked the shower screens for old coffee residue with not much found. They had been cleaning it as I had recommended from the first time I saw the machine.

I forgot about the plastic insert until I gave the portafilter a clean. Once I removed it, the source of the taste was evident. A mostly decomposed cockroach.

You wouldn't believe the amount of earwigs I've removed from within Nespresso machine outlets as well. Given it's a capsule machine, they probably made the coffee taste better.
    I'll ask a friend of mine who knows more about metal than I do! I am going to buy a 2nd portafilter regardless so if mine is brass then I will turn this one naked and keep the other in case I need to make drinks for more than myself from the one double shot! But that is absolutely so gross! I'm so glad I've taken mine out, wonder if the shot will be any different. And hahah yes! Anything makes capsule coffees better