Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By brianleon
  • 1 Post By pcrussell50
  • 1 Post By brianleon

Thread: First few shots on new La Pavoni

First few shots on new La Pavoni

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I think these are ok early days yet.Taste was fine maybe i can improve . Its nice to be able to steam straight away.After pre infussion coffee started to slowly dribble before i put any pressure on the lever.
    Next time i will tamp more and leave everything else the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    fg1972 and topshot like this.

Looks good mate!

I have one of these but i need to buy a bunch of parts. They can make an awesome coffee once you get the hang of it.

According to the manual, you should get a dribble of coffee under pressure from the boiler before you put pressure on the lever, so what you are seeing is normal. I tamp lightly, just to spread the grounds.

Fantastic crema isn't it?

Gonzo

Yea ,it really looks the part although i dont drink many espressos just had a few to make sure its not bitter , first few were though.I am really pleased with the results im getting so far. First day i had watched too many youtube vids and ground like flour and really put my shoulder into the tamp.
    Now im getting consistently good shots. I wonder what i will want next, its good to always be wanting something i think..i wanted this setup for ages.

looks good!

Congrats. Thy are a great fun machine. Try to get a fitted tamper as the one that comes with it is famously crap. (Perhaps you have one already.)

There is a lot of satisfaction in getting the best coffee out of the La Pavoni lever machines. After five years with one, Iím still finding little tweaks to my technique to get the coffee just that tiny bit better.

After all that time (and all those coffees) the machine still looks like new and all weíve had to do to maintain it is replace a couple of o-rings. Before that, $500 machines would die and not be economically repairable after only a couple of years. Beware leaving the plastic tray in place after making a coffee though. We havenít had a problem, but there are many photos online of rust forming under the plastic drip tray if it is left in place with water under it.

They do a great job of frothing the milk once you get the hang of it too.

Besides the obvious like weighing your dose before pulling, there are things you can do to help you repeat that great shot when you find it, or at least home in on it in small improvements until you nail it. Adding a thermometer so you know or can repeat a temperature that works well with the bean you have is priceless, and it can be done pretty unobtrusively. Here's what I did with mine, with a $10 USD kitchen thermometer where I cut the tip off and put the bead on the bell of the Pavoni:

This is a 2000 Pavoni with the pre-Millennium group. I also have a Millennium like yours that I have done the identical thing to. Also note that I replaced the bolts that hold the group to the boiler, with studs. This is for two things:
    1) Pavoni group bolts are notorious for not going very deep into the boiler, putting extra strain on the few threads they engage with.
    2) Since you will be cleaning and re lubing periodically, repeatedly threading and unthreading the brass threads in the boiler with steel bolts will wear them more rapidly than if you use studs with nuts, where you don't have to screw steel threads into the boiler.

A couple of minutes with the right sized hole saw and you no longer have to take off your spout, but rather can have this:

HTH

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 14th August 2018 at 05:47 AM.
    Kjarsheim likes this.

Thanks Peter
    Im gonna leave it alone for a while,at least till it has its first seals replacement. I always used to break my toys on christmas day,
    i just know this is gonna end in tears if i keep messin with it.
    inorog likes this.

Good on you ^^^

Perfectly smart and safe to just let it be until time for disassembly. If you become interested in temperature in the meantime, there are stick-on temperature strips you can get. They are not as exact as a real, fast-read thermometer, but at least you are not flying totally blind either.

-Peter

Hi Peter, Getting a pre-millenium Europiccola myself and would love the specs on the studs you fitted, the thermometer looks genius also....you are inspiring me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kjarsheim View Post
    Hi Peter, Getting a pre-millenium Europiccola myself and would love the specs on the studs you fitted, the thermometer looks genius also....you are inspiring me!
    Sorry, been crazy busy today and tomorrow. I'll get you the exact parts I used, but in the mean time, the threads are M6 x 1mm. The studs are stainless and made by well known US-based racing engine bolt maker, ARP. Mine are in stainless steel but I'm not sure that is important. I'm quite sure the appropriately sized studs will be available locally in Oz, even possibly from an ARP dealer there, but surely elsewhere as well. Also, for holding the brass group to the brass boiler, you do NOT need super strong studs/bolts. So no need the search for the n'th degree of aerospace/racing strength.

-Peter

These are not the exact studs I used, but they are affordable, the right thread size, and more than adequate. Choose 25mm or 30mm long:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-M6x30m...ds=arp+m6+stud

These are the exact ones I used:
    ARP METRIC 300 STAINLESS STUD

More expensive. A blingy brand name (in the USA anyway) because of their connection to top class auto racing.

-Peter