Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By nac
  • 1 Post By pcrussell50
  • 2 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By Lyrebird

Thread: Breville Dual Boiler Steam Ball Valve

Breville Dual Boiler Steam Ball Valve

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just an FYI: I happened to be on ereplacementparts.com today when I saw the infamous Dual Boiler steam ball valve being advertised again...(BES900 or 920/9.6), see pic. I was quite surprised as the last I looked, it was discontinued by Breville. Then I read the fine print that said ... leaves our warehouse within 18-24 business days. So I called and talked with them. The bottom line is that the only way they (or you) would know if this part would actually be available is to place an order for it, wait your 18-24 days and see what happens.

If anyone actually does that, pls report back

I have not been able to find this part anywhere. New Zealand's Need-a-part even shows it as discontinued.

Steam Ball Valve.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

nac
    I ended up buying a ball valve from Bunnings, then used a bench grinder and file to get it to fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    inorog and fdzy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nac View Post
    I ended up buying a ball valve from Bunnings, then used a bench grinder and file to get it to fit.
    Excellent NAC! So you used both ends (fittings) from the OEM valve, right? and the bench grinder was to shape the actuator so it fit the Breville steam handle, right? How long have you had it installed? Any issues? Can you post the manufacturer and part number of the valve?

This is what these forums are all about! Love it.

Martino

And that's how the FrankenBreville was born! IT LIVES!!

Brilliant idea! Well done! Echoing the others - could you post some details of what you've done?

Noice!!! Holding it with zip ties is brillers!!! I was going to grind mine down a little thinner in the middle to use the stock Breville hold down bracket.

I was partway through fitting my valve (same as yours) when I found two spares online and bought them both. I think Iíll still finish the job, just for the fun of it, even though I have spares for many years now.

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 5th August 2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Adding
    inorog likes this.

Very clever. If this valve has the heat and pressure rating needed it should last for ages.

If you canít mod the normal clamp to fit at least replace the cable ties with steel hose clamps. I reckon The zip ties will fatigue and snap with time especially with the high heat environment. It will be a much more durable solution.

Cheers
    inorog and level3ninja like this.

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Very clever. If this valve has the heat and pressure rating needed it should last for ages.

Cheers
    I have that valve too. It was under $4 USD on eBay. It was not presented with any specs, and I don't have high hopes for it. BUT... 1) it should still work for at least a little while, and 2) they're easy enough and cheap enough to replace that a somewhat shorter lifespan might still be acceptable.

Having said that, I also ordered a much nicer ball valve that is much closer to the size and shape of the original Breville bit. We'll see how that one goes, too. It is this one:
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/phoby...4-knurled.html

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 6th August 2018 at 02:14 AM.

@pcrussel50

Does it have any specs about high temperature? I couldn't see anything on it.

Quote Originally Posted by inorog View Post
    @pcrussel50

Does it have any specs about high temperature? I couldn't see anything on it.
    Sadly, I do not. I believe it’s used for hot coolant in the liquid cooled gamer PC community, if that’s any help. But I bet they aren’t at steam temps. However this valve seems to be widely available so somebody might have it. Also, it uses 1/4 BSPP threads (British Parallel Pipe) which are not as common here in the USA as I imagine they might be in Oz. So you guys might have more to choose from than we get. I think if you want to find specs, you will have to pay about four times as much which still isn’t a deal breaker, and you will have to shop actual engineering supply shops, not eBay or Amazon.

-Peter

Geordi Stainless have 1/4 stainless ball valves rated for steam duty (to ~900kPa steam pressure) for $AUD11.50.
    inorog likes this.

Do they have dimensions? The stock Breville valve is about 39-40mm long without the end caps.

-Peter

Datasheet (PDF) says 39 mm for the 1/4"

With a stylish yellow handle, appealing to the seasoned .... industrial steam-punk :P

If you want blue, go to ProChem.

Did you have any issues with the valve logic? I read elsewhere that unlike the typical valve lever inline/open, the stock valve is the opposite!
    Did you have any issues with the thread from the stock screw that goes through the stock plastic handle/lever & into the aftermarket valve?

Thanks for posting your success story!!

I have been looking at sourcing a similar looking valve:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...2d102e0ecnC2uF

high pressure, high temp (180c) Stainless steel.