Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Birkin7

Thread: lelit or Silvia

lelit or Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Moving up a level from Sumbeam ..

I have my eye on these two machines Lelit PL41LEM and Rancilia Sivia V3 or V5...

I dont drink Espresso only Latte and Picolo Latte...

Which machine do you feel would suit me best...

Such things as start up times...

Ease of use

Service and reliability

Thanks in advance..

When I looked at these machines new a little over a year ago the biggest differences I noticed were 58mm portafilter for the Rancillo, 57mm for the Lelit, bigger drip tray on Lelit and much, much cheaper PID on the Lelit if bought installed at factory. Otherwise hard to split.

I bought a lelit Diana a month ago and I think I'm having problems with the pump. Weird noise sputtering water wand and group head. Pump trying to get water into the boiler but nothing getting in
    A pump can go at any time but concerned about durability on the lelit.

3 espresso based drinks in the morning and 2 espressos in the afternoon. When it worka makes terrific espresso but very dissapointed in my lelit at the moment. Let's see how it works after the fix.

Can't comment on newer models but my over 10 year old Lelit (branded Quaha) single boiler has had nothing wear out except for seals.
    3-4 coffees a day average. Deep drip tray a definite plus. Not prone to rust as some Silvias seem to be.
    Non standard portafilter size is an issue if you want to try different baskets or measure pressure with a portafilter pressure guage.

Quote Originally Posted by wilpark View Post
    Pump trying to get water into the boiler but nothing getting in
    A pump can go at any time but concerned about durability on the lelit.
    I think they both use the same Ulka pump? So both would have the same susceptibility to pump issues, maybe you could suggest another brand of machine for the OP with different pumps in this pricepoint?

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    I think they both use the same Ulka pump? So both would have the same susceptibility to pump issues, maybe you could suggest another brand of machine for the OP with different pumps in this pricepoint?
    I thought the ulkas were the industry standard. Not sure what other machines to suggest as I dont know if any other make use another pump. And the OP asked about 2 specific makes.

But since you seem to know a lot about espresso pump you can suggest one.

My reason for enquiring about Rancilio and Lelit is price point...They both do a sub $1000.00 machine..

Quote Originally Posted by rooeey View Post
    My reason for enquiring about Rancilio and Lelit is price point...They both do a sub $1000.00 machine..
    The Ranchillio is a proven and reliable single boiler machine. Another one to consider may be the Gaggia Classic for the sub $1000. States Side a Silvia is abou $720.00 new and the Gaggia Ckassic is $499.99

Lelit PL41TEMD with PID $989 from Jetblack including del. I think this a great value, well built machine.

Maurice
    SniffCoffee, level3ninja and 338 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Birkin7 View Post
    Lelit PL41TEMD with PID $989 from Jetblack including del. I think this a great value, well built machine.

Maurice
    After doing a fair amount of research, that was the machine I purchased at this pricepoint. The PID installed was the difference for me.

What is the start up time for the lelit

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    After doing a fair amount of research, that was the machine I purchased at this pricepoint. The PID installed was the difference for me.

About ten minutes, bit over five if you want to flush the portafilter at four or five minutes to get it up to temp quicker.

Tell me more about the Gaggia classic ...Is it a good machine i.e better than Sunbeam for example..

Quote Originally Posted by wilpark View Post
    The Ranchillio is a proven and reliable single boiler machine. Another one to consider may be the Gaggia Classic for the sub $1000. States Side a Silvia is abou $720.00 new and the Gaggia Ckassic is $499.99

Which Sunbeam are you leaving behind? If it's one of the dual thermoblock models (EM6910/7000/7100) and seeing as you drink milk-based coffee, you may tire of having to wait for steam on a single boiler machine unlike what you're used to.

Tell me more about the Gaggia classic ...Is it a good machine i.e better than Sunbeam for example..
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=viY84ZSaZnQ

dont know much about sunbeam..here in the US sunbeam is totally different than in Aus.

above is a video comparing US version of gaggia and Silvia.

The Lelit PL41TEMD is within your budget and I would recommend over the Silvia.

Sniff

Tell me more about the Gaggia classic ...
    If you buy second hand don't buy older than the 2017 Classic II version, prior versions had an aluminum boiler which long term you probably don't want for your health

If o go the Gaggia i will buy brand new...

I had an EM6910 lasted around three years then a refurbished EM7000 only gave me 9 months...Also the EM 7000 all ways struggled to a double shot tried different grinds ,tamping etc just couldn't seem to get it right...Singe shot was fine..

I have Lelit Anita Combi PL042 and Silvia. My view is the Lelit has better quality components, gets to temp quicker (smaller boiler), recovers quicker and a little quieter. The Silvia has way more followers and net info. Shots on both are very comparable. The Silvia's steel frame is a let down but steam pressure is slightly better. Both present great value at their price point.

My base model Lelit is a couple of years old now, hasn't missed a beat. The research I did at the time suggested it heated up a bit faster than the Rancillio, and was a bit less difficult to get a good shot out of.

I've been happy with it.