Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By arcachon

Thread: Replace my 6910

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    24

    Replace my 6910

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Time to replace my sunbeam.

    I donít make many coffees perhaps 1-2 a day. No need for a machine that can pump out coffee after coffee for guests either.

    Dont mind it taking 5-10 mins to heat up

    I have minimal bench space so the smaller the better

    I have a Breville smart grinder so only need the machine

    I usually have an espresso / long black or a latte

    hoping to spend under 800 or around that mark

    I have read quite a few posts and seem to see the Silvia and Breville coming up most often.

    any other recommendations welcome thanks all

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    26
    single boiler machine okay? Gaggia Classic is very good. As is the Silvia. Lelit makes great value to price single boilers too.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4
    I have a mate with a Lelit, he thinks the quality of the coffee is great, but he isnt too happy with the build quality. He says certain bits don't feel as well attached as they should. Agree with the gaggia classic and the silvia, both are great machines - silvia is slightly more expensive but has an e61 head which makes bottomless portafilters cheaper

  4. #4
    338
    338 is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    638
    Quote Originally Posted by TainePC View Post
    silvia is slightly more expensive but has an e61 head
    Are you sure the Sylvia has an E61 head? I would have bet money it doesn't but happy to be wrong, makes the Sylvia a great buy

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Are you sure the Sylvia has an E61 head? I would have bet money it doesn't but happy to be wrong, makes the Sylvia a great buy
    No, it doesn't
    fatboy_1999 and 338 like this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rockingham W.A.
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennyc View Post
    Time to replace my sunbeam.

    I donít make many coffees perhaps 1-2 a day. No need for a machine that can pump out coffee after coffee for guests either.

    Dont mind it taking 5-10 mins to heat up

    I have minimal bench space so the smaller the better

    I have a Breville smart grinder so only need the machine

    I usually have an espresso / long black or a latte

    hoping to spend under 800 or around that mark

    I have read quite a few posts and seem to see the Silvia and Breville coming up most often.

    any other recommendations welcome thanks all
    G'day Pennyc

    "Dont mind it taking 5-10 mins to heat up" - good luck with that one. Unless the (much) newer Silvias are better, my Miss S (had one for 9 years) would tell me it was ready around the 15 minute mark - and totally fail to produce anything worth drinking until 20+ minutes (i.e. a full preflush and a temp surf later) had elapsed. The DB Breville (around $1,100 if I recall) was only marginally quicker - and once again when it stated it was ready you could check for overhead pigs. It took a preflush and at least another 5 minutes before it would play.

    Any boiler machine must heat the whole boiler and then the rest of the water shot path before it is ready - also be prepared to notice an increase in your power bills unless you have solar.

    My SB 6910s take a nominal 90 seconds, however you can nearly double that as they also need a partial preflush before the first cuppa is drinkable.

    On any of the above machines, until the whole path including the p/f is hot, forget quality in the cup.

    I would rate the machine you have as easier to live with than either of them except for the noise factor.

    My much less noisy SB7000 is not as good as the 6910 however it gains the much appreciated aura of domestic harmony and is still easy to cohabit with long term (2014 to date on the bench - the 6910s and a number of my other bits of gear are banned from the house due to noise).

    TampIt



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •