Thread: Rancilio Silvia - Low Steam to No steam

Sun

Rancilio Silvia - Low Steam to No steam

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,

Picked up a second hand v3 silvia and had it cleaned and serviced last week, with a new boiler/element installed.

I'm really happy with the extraction process - I've got my grinder dialled and we are making great espresso already!

Only problem is the steam wand. Hot water comes out fine with water switch, but not so with steam.

I've been pouring my shot then flicking the steam switch. Usually the heating light comes on, goes off then I purge the wand of water and start steaming. (sometimes the heating light does not come on when i flick the steam switch)

I'm getting low flow and low pressure steam, to the point where steam flow stops after 20-30 seconds and the milk (100ml) is still cold.

Am I doing something wrong, or could I have an issue with the machine itself?

Thanks in Advance

Your comment "sometimes the heating light does not come on when i flick the steam switch" suggests to me that the unit is faulty. I had a Rancilio. Warmup time for steam was at least 30 seconds, more typically 45. If it were ready immediately then you would have been pulling your shot with steam!