Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 241343232
  • 1 Post By artman

Thread: Breville BES870 Frustrated User

Breville BES870 Frustrated User

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I just purchased a new BES870 yesterday, after reading so many positive reviews on the internet.

But I have experienced nothing but frustration.

My goal is to get 30ml of espresso in 25-30 sec with 15g of freshly ground coffee.

Here's what I have tested so far.
    Warm the machine to 30min, run empty shot through group head to heat up the portafilter and equipment.
    I find the auto-doser to be very inconsistent, so I decided to manually weigh my ground to 15g.
    The default grind setting is 5. When I pull a shot wit those variables, grind=5, 15g = coffee, double cup, single wall double cup filter. I get OVER EXTRACTION.

After numerous attempts, I can only get a shot to be within the espresso range with grind size 10 - 13, delivering roughly 30-40ml of espresso.

in about 1 minute extraction time.

Those variables are completely off , compared to other users on the internet and Breville's recommended setting of grind size 4-5 with 16g coffee and extraction time of 30 sec and should give me 60ml of espresso.

So then I checked the temperature. 1 CUP empty run, water only extraction and it was 60 degrees.
    2 CUP was around 70 degrees.

But if I dispense just water from the wand, I get around 90c continuously.

Why does the temperature fluctuate based on 1 CUP, 2 CUP and WAND?

Another note, I pulled a blank shot with the rubber disc and tablet inside, my pressure gauge did not even move.

I suggest this is a faulty machine, can someone verify? or suggest what i can do to proof it's faulty, so i can return to Breville?

Sounds faulty. Call Breville and they will advise you how to confirm etc.

Has anyone tried to return a Breville product? It states, that there's no refunds unless it's purchased from Breville website?

I doubt there's anything wrong with it.

30 minutes warm up is excessive. Once the lights are on and its ready, give it 5 minutes with the portafilter lightly locked in place then run some water through until the portafilter is hot to the touch. You're ready to go.

Disregard Breville's recommended settings for the grinder. Start in the middle and adjust from there. Bear in mind there are always a few grams of retained grounds in the grinder and chute, a 2-3 second purge before you load up the basket will get rid of these old grounds.

What beans are you using? Do they have a roast date on the bag? They must be within 3-4 weeks of roasting to give predictable, repeatable and acceptable results in the cup. Once they get older, it's more difficult to extract a decent shot.

Measuring the temperature from the group as it's running freely will always show a low reading. The only way to accurately test the temperature is when the machine is under pressure, extracting a shot.
    I've seen a lot of these machines and I've never seen one have a problem with the temperature (aside from a few with circuit board problems but they manifest in a different way, you would definitely know there was something wrong in this case).

The reason you see a difference in temperature between the group and the hot water wand is that the hot water function operates the pump at a lower power to reduce the flow rate. This gives the water longer inside the thermocoil to heat up before it comes out.

I have even tried manual brewing, hold down the 2 cup for 10 secs pre-infusion then let it, and it is supposed to pull the shot.

all came out was like 5 ml, after 50 sec.

this is with a grind size of 13.

i think there is definitely something wrong with this machine.

according to videos i have watched and reading articles on this forum.

it should not be this hard at all.

I also tested with the plastic disc to test the pressure.

1. non-pressurized basket double shot - no pressure at all.
    2. pressurized basket 1 shot - hits pressure in the middle.

This seems to indicate to me, the machine is not giving enough pressure.

If anyone has any test to suggest, I can try it on the machine. But since I have tested 2kg of beans, i have covered all possible scenarios.

I5 grams is not sufficient in the basket. Your starting point should be between 17/18 grams. As you've already said the doser is inconsistent so weigh all your doses and just use an even tamp, no need to to do a strong arm 15kg tamp as the tamping pressure makes little or no difference on the BE. As soon as you get the grind correct you will get a decent shot.

What is your previous experience with coffee machines? Where are the beans from?

When you use the rubber disc, did you use the double wall single filter basket?

How did you measure the water temperature?

Just to conclude for future buyers.

I rang u Breville explaining my situation.

The customer service rep was annoyed from the beginning, as she sound like she was fed up with her job. I had a laugh

She asked the usual questions, 1. did you use fresh beans, did you run a plastic disc.etc

Even though she had to pause every 5 secs, to ask her colleague, how to handle the case.

Eventually she gave up and asked me to go to my nearest appliance repairer to get it looked it.

Without providing clear instructions, where I go from here, what is the process, do I get a reference number, etc.

I rocked up to this dodgy appliance repairer in Boronia, he takes out a form and asked me to fill.

I proceed to ask him, can we do a quick test on the spot and if he did need the machine, how long would it take to get it looked at. He insisisted, he would not even look at it after 10 days.

As a consumer, this is total BS, I just bought a brand new machine and i have to wait 10 days to even get an answer.

He suggested i should take it back to the retailer as it's brasnd new.

So I did that and that was the end of my story.

I would never ever buy anything from Breville, unless it's a disposable item. Their customer service is pathetic, shows no interest to resolve issues, except blaming the user for being an idiot or using old beans.

Now I have made up my mind to go to a local coffee equipment store and get a proper Italian machine with proper support from the store owner.

Thanks for all your help guys.
    topshot likes this.

Where did you buy it from? Your contract is with the place of purchase. If it is actually faulty from new then a replacement should not be too far out of a fair settlement.

As above, ignore the numbers on the grinder. Use them only as a reference point for your machine.

Look up the 5 cent piece test. Use this as your dose level and keep it constant. Keep your tamp constant.

Adjust grind to get the pour you like to your taste. Only change one thing at a time.

Make sure beans are decent and fresh (say two weeks post roast).

Donít over complicate it.

Cheers
    inorog likes this.