Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LeroyC

Thread: Gaggia Classic crazy steam after descaling

Gaggia Classic crazy steam after descaling

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello. I have a Gaggia Classic that I just descaled and now the steam is insanely powerful to the point where it pretty much blows out the milk no matter how much I put into the pitcher. I have read that the descaling may have messed up the steam thermostat. Any ideas?

I doubt descaling would have any effect on the thermostat as it sits outside the boiler. You’ve probably had a partially blocked steam system that is now clear after descaling and working properly. Do you have the original steam attachment on it or have you got a replacement one like a Silvia wand?

Makes sense. I replaced the original wand with a Silvia wand. I think it's the Silvia 2. I don't remember the steam ever being this strong. I'm really glad that I can get this much steam out of the GC, but now I have to figure out how to control it. Also there's a lot of water coming out initially. What I usually do is pull the shot and then run some water to clean the screen. Then I turn it on the steam function and as soon as the light goes ON....I purge water/steam until the light goes OFF (indicating that the boiler is kicking in again) and that's when I do my microfoam.

Quote Originally Posted by brianchi73 View Post
    Makes sense. I replaced the original wand with a Silvia wand. I think it's the Silvia 2. I don't remember the steam ever being this strong. I'm really glad that I can get this much steam out of the GC, but now I have to figure out how to control it. Also there's a lot of water coming out initially. What I usually do is pull the shot and then run some water to clean the screen. Then I turn it on the steam function and as soon as the light goes ON....I purge water/steam until the light goes OFF (indicating that the boiler is kicking in again) and that's when I do my microfoam.
    The best way to steam on your machine will be to run the ‘trick’:
    Turn the steam on then purge the wand straight away until it’s clear of water. Then start steaming straight away.
    Yes this means that the boiler is not yet at temperature so you will start a little slow. It does however mean that the element will stay on and you will have an endless supply of steam. It should also be a little easier to control due to the slightly slower/easier start. Give it a go.
    Shortie likes this.