Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By pcrussell50
  • 1 Post By inorog

Thread: BES920 issue

BES920 issue

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

My wife recently told me that her coffee machine at her business requires a service, after contacting our local Breville repairer I was told it would be a 6 week wait to get it repaired/serviced. I thought the repair timing was a bit excessive and wanted to wait until we had a suitable loan machine in place before we got it serviced due to the lengthy time required to fix it.

Fast forward to today, the machine is no longer pumping water out of the group head. I assume its due to never having a descale in its 3 years of service pouring 10-20 coffees a day.

My question is, is it past the point of a descale? or can I start the descale process and let the fluid sit inside the machine for a while to breakdown the gunk inside thats potentially blocking it? I can still hear the machines pump working as normal but there is just nothing coming out of the group head.

TIA

There are many things that could be the cause of this. Possibly scale, or corrosion. The passages underneath where the solenoid attaches could be corroded or scaled close. Either is a possibility. Take the solenoid off and make sure the two holes on it's mounting pad are open and the two holes on the solenoid that mate up to the ones in the pad, are also open. If they are corroded closed, you might be able to re open them with a pick or very small drill bit (don't go too deep). If the blockage IS in fact as I describe, I doubt a descale will fix it.

-Peter

If you can't fix it yourself I would seriously consider replacing rather than repairing. If they got 15 coffees a day for three years then they are ahead of the game for a consumer machine like this one. It's likely to be pretty much worn out.

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruepath View Post
    If you can't fix it yourself I would seriously consider replacing rather than repairing. If they got 15 coffees a day for three years then they are ahead of the game for a consumer machine like this one. It's likely to be pretty much worn out.
    I guess it depends on what you consider "worn out". The pumps wear out... But they are the same Italian Ulka pumps that are on the prosumer machines that don't "wear out". Further, they are cheap and easy to replace yourself. The solenoids "wear out". But they are standard Italian Lucifer valve arrangements that are in may prosumer machines, and are cheap and easy to replace yourself. The o-rings on top of the boilers wear out. But they are super cheap, a common standard size, and easy to replace yourself. The steam ball valve wears out. And it is cheap and super easy to replace, though I've heard that BrevilleAUS will not always sell one to you... sometimes yes, sometimes no. The plastic inner group collar can wear out if your users are zealous "over tighteners" of the portafilter into the group. They are super cheap, of moderate difficulty to replace on older -920's (easy on newer -920's), if you can get BrevilleAUS to sell you one.

Now, having said all that, if all these repairs are needed, AND you have not been using scale-free water like the commercial shops and avid home baristas do, then the sum total of all the repairs you will have to catch up on may be more trouble than it's worth. But it's not because the machine is of poor quality. Any machine that is not maintained will suffer. If the repairs of a $900 BDB are $700, you might not do it. But if you neglect your $3500 E61 machine for three years, and it needs $900 worth of repairs, you would probably still do it, rather than binning it.

Food for thought.

-Peter
    inorog, magnafunk, 338 and 1 others like this.

Gee Peter... You're not much help to the consumerist society "raison d'Ítre", are you now? What are those poor-poor CEOs going to do, if all of us repair our machines and stop buying their ever-so-slightly improved new versions of the same thing we already have?
    pcrussell50 likes this.