Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 2 Post By LeroyC
  • 2 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By danzig

Thread: First machine recommendation for newbie.

First machine recommendation for newbie.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, new to the forum wannabesnob here looking at purchasing my first machine. Apologies for another "what do I buy" thread but I'm new and completely overwhelmed.

Have wanted to upgrade from my pod machine which I never use now (keep going to local shop) to something decent and after a week away with a Breville Barista I was all set to buy until a friend who to me has a very nice Expobar (on the forum somewhere) setup said invest in some good gear. Now I'm clouded with millions of options and no idea.

Criteria:
    -Was looking to be all done and dusted for $700 (barista) but that budget is starting to raise, I don't want to upgrade too soon so I'm looking at a max of say $1000 for the machine. New with warranty would be nice.
    -Small form factor would sway me, my kitchen isn't small but I dare not overstep my bounds in wife's domain.
    -Apart from the breville and a shot on mate's Expobar (some model more than I can afford), I'm a complete rookie so I probably don't want something completely crazily complicated. I'm plenty capable of research, trial and error and love to learn new skills but it'd be a good bonus if the wife can use (has worked in a cafe at least).

So far I've looked all over gumtree and the department stores but I've found a few I think are worth my time:
    Racilio Silvca - appears very proven. Do I need a PID? I don't know.
    Lelit PL41TEMD - appears small and was recommended in another thread.
    Oscar II - local to me on gt, limited use still under warrant (5 months) wants $950 with a cheap grinder.

Saying all that, I'd really like some opinion and steering to what would meet my criteria. Obviously I'll need a grinder etc. so happy for any advice there. Since it's Sunday and in SA tomorrow is a public holiday I can't really go into any good stores (good guys really couldn't help past all-in-ones)for a few days but happy to support locally but I want some sort of idea of what I want.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Is your budget all inclusive with the grinder as well? The grinder in some ways is more important than the machine.

I've been told that. Budget is for the machine so expect a few more hundred for grinder and various other bits. I'd like to keep the budget down but I also want to buy something I'm going to be happy with for a good while.

If look at something like a Company K3 (Touch or Push varient) or a Macao M2 (D or M variant) for the grinder. A Lelit PL41TEMD will probably suit you nicely, the Oscar II is a decent machine but if you're not familiar with operating and servicing machines I would avoid buying anything off GT because you don't know what you're getting. Have you checked out the for sale section here? https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-hardware-sale/
    A Silvia with an aftermarket PID or an older Sunbeam EM6910 (round drip tray full indicator instead of a line shape) would also work.
    Dimal likes this.

You can find the Breville BES920/grinder combo for around $1200. I think personally they're the perfect step up. Grinder in particular is good to get used to using one but cheap enough that after a year or so, you don't mind buying a new one to step up.

The BCG820 is kind of ok, really not that good. It is seriously lacking when paired with a BES920, a 920 can produce much better coffee with a better grinder than it can with a BCG820. A K3 or M2 is over the threshold of not needing replacement after a short while.

I got all excited and thought Glen Danzig had joined Coffee Snobs for a second there.
    DanC and danzig like this.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    If look at something like a Company K3 (Touch or Push varient) or a Macao M2 (D or M variant) for the grinder. A Lelit PL41TEMD will probably suit you nicely, the Oscar II is a decent machine but if you're not familiar with operating and servicing machines I would avoid buying anything off GT because you don't know what you're getting. Have you checked out the for sale section here? https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-hardware-sale/
    A Silvia with an aftermarket PID or an older Sunbeam EM6910 (round drip tray full indicator instead of a line shape) would also work.
    Yeah, I've been looking through and now I'm starting to get an idea of what I want. The sunbeam looked good but I'm a bit hesitant about reliability from what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by danzig View Post
    Thanks for the advice. ..........
    The sunbeam looked good but I'm a bit hesitant about reliability from what I've read.
    I suggest it is best to get four year extended warranty with any of the appliance machines for the $100 or so. Have fun.

Has saved me a few times Warren.

See a Silivia V5 with PID on forum has PMd to see if still available.

The Rocky grinder with that V5 will be a decent starting place if the seller doesn't want to split them.
    Whatever equipment you get, a good tamper and a reasonable set of scales are a must.
    Dimal and danzig like this.

Sadly Silvia was sold. Found another Rocky local which is hopefully available.

Now learning towards a new Lelit PL41TEMD unless someone can suggest a better option for around the mark. I could still offer $850 on the Oscar ii but like said it's a risk (apparently still under warranty though and looks in very good cond.).

G'day danzig...

That Lelit PL41TEMD is a real beauty mate and very hard to go past in my view.
    Will outperform a Silvia in all the ways that matter and being a 100% stainless steel build, capable of lasting a lifetime...

Mal.
    level3ninja likes this.

Good to hear Mal! It's how I'm leaning atm. I'm going to call up some local places see if anyone has in stock tomorrow.
    Dimal likes this.