Thread: sunbeam 6910 steam wand issues

sunbeam 6910 steam wand issues

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My machine had some water spilt on it and stopped working. After I left it to dry out I turned it on and it was able to pour a shot, but no steam action. The steam was fine before the accident. The control knob clicks when turned but no pump noise. It makes the low water level beeps when the knob is first turned on. Could it be a pump failure or some other fault?

A lot depends on how much water and where it went.

If it entered the ventilation grille on the side it could have affected the steam pump and/or steam thermoblock and possibly the main control board.
    A spill down the back ( or a filler funnel overflow) could have affected the control board which sits low down across the back just behind the plastic back cover.
    You could possibly try removing the back plastic panel and giving it a good dry out internally with a hair dryer but make sure it is unplugged before opening it up.

If you aren't confident about delving into the machine you could try leaving it in a car in the sun for a day or two to see if that can remove any traces of water.

Just take care when retesting it as water does not mix well with mains power!

Thanks Xanthine. I will leave it to dry out a little longer. Im happy to delve deeper and was thinking the steam pump may need replacing. It made some very faint noises initially but has now become silent.

Does this pump power the hot water as well as it isn't working properly?

The hot water is sourced from the group head thermoblock and pump and is a separate water circuit to the steam thermoblock and pump.

Are you getting any hot water from the wand or is it just weak? - you can not get hot water and extract coffee at the same time.

You did not say where the water was spilt and how much entered the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthine View Post
    The hot water is sourced from the group head thermoblock and pump and is a separate water circuit to the steam thermoblock and pump.

Are you getting any hot water from the wand or is it just weak? - you can not get hot water and extract coffee at the same time.
    You did not say where the water was spilt and how much entered the machine.
    Thanks for your reply.

Water was spilt while filling the tank from the left hand side. Not too much but I think it probably went onto the control board.

Hot water isn't the main issue, but it only delivers hot water when the control knob is turned on and then the manual shot button is pressed.

I'm more interested in getting the steam working. I've taken the back and side covers off. All looks dry, but I will give it some more time before turning it on again. Last time I did there was no noise from the pump when the control knob was turned on. Pump looks ok with no leaking or corrosion evident. If there are no other solutions I will try replacing the pump.

If the water went onto the powered control board there is every likelihood that some of the components on it have been damaged - there is a mix of mains voltage and low voltage circuitry on the board which can easily be damaged by a short circuit.

The steam pump is less likely to be damaged by water spillage but its coil can be readily checked for continuity with a multi-meter set to diode range (not the normal Ohms setting).
    With the machine unplugged from the power the two leads to the steam pump solenoid must be removed before measuring across the terminals in both directions.
    If the coil is OK one direction will show open circuit and the other will be around 0.6v due to the inbuilt diode in the coil. Be sure to refit the leads securely to the correct terminals when finished.

BTW, you should get hot water from the tap just but turning the knob - it has a microswitch like the steam knob to make it operate. It should not be necessary to use the manual shot button - if it was working correctly before the spill it is another indication that there is possibly control board damage.

Anyway good luck with it!
    Cheers
    Trev

An update on repairs. Thanks for the feed back and suggestions. I have replaced the steam pump. When I turned the power at the wall switch on there was a humming noise before the on button on the machine was touched. The steam pump was making the noise and has power all the time.All other features are working and I have great steam pressure when the steam dial is turned on. I connected it up the same way I found it. Any ideas what may be going on?

Thanks, Peter.