• 2 Post By dbun
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 3 Post By artman
  • 2 Post By rooeey

Thread: My new lelit combi..

My new lelit combi..

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ok so i have this up and running now..

One thing i notice is the tamp pressure required is very light compared to what was required on my Breville EM series.

Questions
    for other users....

If i am only doing one coffee at a time is Primiing recommended every time ?

Also how often should i back flush and should i use any additives for cleaning ?

Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by rooeey View Post
    Ok so i have this up and running now..

One thing i notice is the tamp pressure required is very light compared to what was required on my Breville EM series.

Questions
    for other users....

If i am only doing one coffee at a time is Primiing recommended every time ?

Also how often should i back flush and should i use any additives for cleaning ?

Thanks in advance...
    The lack of required tamp pressure is likely just a finer grind by the grinder.

As for back flushing, I would say it's required. Otherwise you get a buildup of coffee grinds which are organic and decompose leaving pretty foul tastes and possibly odour in you coffee.

I run one once a fortnight without chemicals and every 2 months with chemicals. Always get the bottom of the blind filter lined with grounds.

Thanks for that...So once a week i will do this...

What about priming ?

You should prime the boiler after every steaming session.

Sniff
    rooeey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SniffCoffee View Post
    You should prime the boiler after every steaming session.

Sniff
    Not something I have to do in my BES920 so not sure sorry.

I clean water backflush after every coffee making session and chemical clean every 1-2 weeks.
    artman and level3ninja like this.

Backflush with water every time, get in the habit. Backflush with Cafetto once a week.
    Javaphile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    Backflush with water every time, get in the habit. Backflush with Cafetto once a week.
    Are you talking about a full clean cycle with the blind filter in? If so,, personally that's a lot of stress on the system...wouldn't you just run some water through the group head?

Quote Originally Posted by drwharris View Post
    Are you talking about a full clean cycle with the blind filter in? If so,, personally that's a lot of stress on the system...wouldn't you just run some water through the group head?
    No you only run the shot with the blind filter in until it hits maximum pressure (maybe 7 seconds give or take), then stop the shot. Pull the portafilter out and look at the water left in the blind filter, if there are little bits of coffee in it, tip it out and do it again. Keep doing it until there is nothing but water. To clean with the chemical (Cafetto Espresso Clean or similar), you do a similar thing but repeat it a number of times without removing the portafilter, there are instructions on the packet. Your machine has an OPV and 3-way solenoid so backflushing like this won't stress it.

I always run water through the group head after every shot to clean it, whether I'm making another one or not.

I don't know where you bought your machine, but site sponsor Jet Black Espresso are the Australian importers and will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you have about your Combi. No need to trust a bloke on the internet, give them a call to confirm

That's what I do to. But only once a week.

As above, water backflush after each session is a great habbit to get into, really minimises the coffee oil build up in the return path.

For single boilers, my routine is:

Turn on machine, hit brew switch to make sure boiler is full.
    After pulling shot, hit brew switch to rinse shower screen (I do this on all machines)
    After steaming, run pump switch until water comes out of steam wand/brew head

If you make sure brew boiler is always full you will not burn out the element.

The frequency of chemical backflush will depend on how many coffees you make and you can adjust frequency based on the colour of the water after a chemical backflush, if its really bad, increase the frequency. Backflushing on a machine with a 3 way valve wont hurt it. If your machine does not have a OPV, then you will hear the pump slow down as pressure builds, you dont need to stall it completely, once the pressure is built up cutting the shot will cause the water to gush out the return.

Also remove and clean your shower screen to keep it nice and clean.

I have two PFs, one with a blind that i use for the backflushing so it is very quick and easy.

On the first pump activation for a backflush I dont lock in the PF fully and give the PF a wiggle with the pump running so the water flows out of the blind and rinses the gasket area.

It really sounds way more complicated than it is in practice. Keeping the machine clean and healthy is easy and good practice.

Happy brewing!

Cheers
    Dimal, inorog and level3ninja like this.

I nearly have it now after some pretty bad cups of coffee and a few good ones...My average is getting much better now and i am priming after every use and backflushing every couple of days..

Thanks for the tips people much appreciated..
    inorog and level3ninja like this.