Thread: Breville bes920 or other?

Breville bes920 or other?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all, I know this has been brought up on several occasions now but thought I would try to get an updated version as most are about 1 year old +.
    I been finding a few breville bes920 for around $500-700,my question is, is it worth purchasing this dual boiler that would be 2-3 years old or is there other Italian and such machines better suited?
    I like the quick warm up times that this machine comes with in comparison to most of the single boilers
    The benefits of it having a built in PID ( which I know can come with some newer single boilers also now)
    I make milk coffees only and is usually 1-2 per day
    Currently have a sunbeam 6910 and a Rancilio rocky doserless
    I'm loving my coffee at the moment but feel the 6910 just isn't producing the best of shots that it should as it's obviously getting on in age now
    if I were to get the Breville what should I look for? Apart from group head seal wear and that? As obviously pulling the machine completely apart may not be an option when purchasing privately

Thanks,

Brendan

If you wait for a sale you can have one brand new for under $800. I would be extremely hesitant to buy one second hand as you don't know how ours been looked after and the externals will only show so much. I would certainly not be paying $500 for one.

How old is your 6910? Does it have the round dot or thin line drip tray full indicator? What is your maintenance routine with it? The older 6910s are pretty much on par with the 920s, so I wouldn't expect a huge jump in coffee quality. If you want more out of your machine consider a grinder upgrade first.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    If you wait for a sale you can have one brand new for under $800. I would be extremely hesitant to buy one second hand as you don't know how ours been looked after and the externals will only show so much. I would certainly not be paying $500 for one.

How old is your 6910? Does it have the round dot or thin line drip tray full indicator? What is your maintenance routine with it? The older 6910s are pretty much on par with the 920s, so I wouldn't expect a huge jump in coffee quality. If you want more out of your machine consider a grinder upgrade first.
    Yeah I had noticed they go on sale from time to time but yeah have been skeptical on 2nd hand ones.
    I believe it's around 4-5 years old now, but hardly any use as it was my partners prior to me and they never used it
    I always flush the group head after each shot, let machine warm up roughly 15 mins +
    Machine is in pretty good condition for what it is, haven't had to replace any parts on it as yet.
    does get a tablet back flush every month also, and I descaled every couple months too. And no worries. Wasn't sure if I'd get a huge jump in quality or not
    I'm happy with my rocky as I upgraded from a sunbeam em0480, but I do know there is better out there too

You'll probably find a 920 is similar maybe slightly better on the coffee, but nicer to use.