Thread: EM6910 Leaking after replacing collar and seal

EM6910 Leaking after replacing collar and seal

Hi guys. Firstly i would like to say thanks to anyone who has ever posted about the EM6910. I have visited this forum countless times over the last 7 years for EM6910 troubleshooting and you have all been an immense help.

I have now ran into a leaking issue of my own that i can't seem to fix. I have replaced both the group head seal and the collar and yet it is still leaking. The collar and the seal are both seated correctly and the machine including all parts is immaculately clean.

The group handle locks in nicely at around 530-600 and my coffee is dosed and tamped accurately (not touching the shower screen at all).

The only thing i havent tried is adding a shim; i am happy to try it if someone thinks i should, i had just ruled it out since the seal and the collar are brand new, my 2 group handles arent too worn, and they both seem to lock nice and tight into the head.

I have always got a very tasty coffee from this machine. Around 45ish gram yeild over 30ish seconds from 18ish grams in, and even now as it pisses out water it still pulls a fairly nice looking shot haha.

The water leaks from around the back of the group handle.

If anyone has any additional advice or ideas i would be super grateful. I am also happy to take it to my local repairer (either espresso fix in Balwyn or Ellis Electrical in Dandenong) which is my last resort.

Thanks in advance guys.

Edit: i just tried making a shim. The group handle locked in around 700 and the leak was just as bad if not a little bit worse.

Edit 2: here are some photos of the new seal, the 2 shower screens, the group head, and the whole lot reassembled. Let me know if you can spot any errors.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ff4n1jx1c...3AEgWRNza?dl=0
    Last edited by Fingman; 1 Week Ago at 10:45 PM.

Just a couple of thoughts-

(1) Check the rim of the basket - it could be cracked or split

(2) Are you sure the new collar is the correct one for your machine and pulled up tight against the thermoblock?

(3) Is the water coming from the seal area and not a broken or cracked thermoblock pipe above?

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthine View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts-

(1) Check the rim of the basket - it could be cracked or split

(2) Are you sure the new collar is the correct one for your machine and pulled up tight against the thermoblock?

(3) Is the water coming from the seal area and not a broken or cracked thermoblock pipe above?

Trev
    Hey Trev, thanks for hitting me back.

(1) The rim of the basket looks fine. Although that is my only basket and it is one of the things i have called into question as i use that in both of my group handles. The shower screen could also be called into question but it looks completely fine.

(2) the collar is definitely correct, exactly matches the one i have replaced. It seated really nicely and all the screws are done back up super tight.

(3) From what i can see it is coming from the seal. The leak comes from between the collar and the group handle and doesn't seem to start start until there is pressure.

Thanks for the brain storming mate. I spoke to espresso fix today and Alex there recommended i try a full blind basket just for 5 - 10 seconds to see if it leaks with the blind one. That should rule out my basket or dosing if it still leaks. I am going to borrow a blind basket from work tomorrow and try it tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingman View Post
    Hey Trev, thanks for hitting me back.

(1) The rim of the basket looks fine. Although that is my only basket and it is one of the things i have called into question as i use that in both of my group handles. The shower screen could also be called into question but it looks completely fine.

(2) the collar is definitely correct, exactly matches the one i have replaced. It seated really nicely and all the screws are done back up super tight.

(3) From what i can see it is coming from the seal. The leak comes from between the collar and the group handle and doesn't seem to start start until there is pressure.

Thanks for the brain storming mate. I spoke to espresso fix today and Alex there recommended i try a full blind basket just for 5 - 10 seconds to see if it leaks with the blind one. That should rule out my basket or dosing if it still leaks. I am going to borrow a blind basket from work tomorrow and try it tomorrow night.
    Do the test with the blind basket very carefully as the machine doesnít have an OPV. Itís not a bad idea though so worth a try. Youíll only need to wait those couple of seconds until pressure has built up as itíll leak straight away if itís going to do so. If this still shows up a leak take the gasket out and inspect it closely. Thereís been instances of brand new silicone seals having splits in them. Iíve seen it on a smaller Sunbeam gasket and it created the problem youíre having so this is what Iíd check for first. Good luck.

If the above suggestions don't produce any results try-

(1)Removing the seal and spinning it 180deg

(2)Packing the back half of the seal groove with one or more semi-circular cardboard shims.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Do the test with the blind basket very carefully as the machine doesn’t have an OPV. It’s not a bad idea though so worth a try. You’ll only need to wait those couple of seconds until pressure has built up as it’ll leak straight away if it’s going to do so. If this still shows up a leak take the gasket out and inspect it closely. There’s been instances of brand new silicone seals having splits in them. I’ve seen it on a smaller Sunbeam gasket and it created the problem you’re having so this is what I’d check for first. Good luck.
    I finally got to try with the blind basket today. After the preinfusion squirts, the moment that pressure built up it leaked everywhere.

Once it cools down i will pull the seal out again and have a closer look at it to make sure i havent missed anything.

The one concern i have is that it was leaking before changing to the new seal. Thats the whole reason i did this major service. So i am wondering if the issue is something completely different that i am missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthine View Post
    If the above suggestions don't produce any results try-

(1)Removing the seal and spinning it 180deg

(2)Packing the back half of the seal groove with one or more semi-circular cardboard shims.
    I will give these a go too. Cheers!

I finally got to try with the blind basket today. After the preinfusion squirts, the moment that pressure built up it leaked everywhere.

Once it cools down i will pull the seal out again and have a closer look at it to make sure i havent missed anything.

The one concern i have is that it was leaking before changing to the new seal. Thats the whole reason i did this major service. So i am wondering if the issue is something completely different that i am missing.
    Iíve had a similar issue once and it turned out to be a cracked pipe coming from the back of the thermoblock (the one that goes to the 3-way so it makes sense that it doesnít leak until thereís pressure). It couldíve be repaired as itís quite small and itís copper so I replaced the whole thermoblock.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Iíve had a similar issue once and it turned out to be a cracked pipe coming from the back of the thermoblock (the one that goes to the 3-way so it makes sense that it doesnít leak until thereís pressure). It couldíve be repaired as itís quite small and itís copper so I replaced the whole thermoblock.
    Ahh okay. I might have to open it back up and have another look.

Did your water come from between the group handle and the collar?

When i had it opened last week the internals didnt look wet or water logged in any way, i assume a leaking pipe would leave some evidence.

Definitely going to have a look when i get a chance to strip it down again. Thanks.

With my BES900, when I replaced the OPV and the brew pump - I was able to run it with the lid off - keeping well in mind that you have exposed 240V terminals around there so extreme caution is a must.

This may be an option for you too - as a "look but don't touch until unplugged" with your problem.

When i had it opened last week the internals didnt look wet or water logged in any way, i assume a leaking pipe would leave some evidence.

Definitely going to have a look when i get a chance to strip it down again. Thanks.
    Yes it leaked around the collar and as Iíd just replaced the collar I thought I must have put it back together wrong. I took the thermoblock out again to check the assembly and thatís when I found the cracked pipe.

Before you pull it apart, try making a basic gasket (or three, if more is needed) out of thin card (cut it out the same size as the top of the seal) and use it as a spacer / packer. Unless it is a cracked pipe or similar (sympathy to leroyc - that would be a PITA) mostly 6910 / 7000s just need to get the clearance adjusted correctly. One new 7000 had three (SB "special silicon?") spacers under the seal from the factory. That would have to be 3mm of extra spacer.

Hope this saves you some grief.

TampIt
    BTW - if it works, sorry, you did not need to replace the collar either...

Yes I agree with TampIt - make sure youíre getting a proper seal before you go pulling the machine apart. Pull the gasket out and check for splits. If it looks ok then add some spacers as suggested above to make sure youíre getting a seal. If it still leaks after this then itís something else....like a cracked pipe or loose fitting.