Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 3 Post By 338

Thread: Help me choose

Help me choose

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So my 7 year old BES900 is on its last legs and just about moving on to the next life

Giving it to the folks as an interim while the reno and sort out what they want to do.

Time for a new machine

The wife and I make our coffees in morning, she is home half the weekdays and makes a second / third

So during week volume is low. But we regularly entertain / host on weekend and make upwards of 10 coffees, mostly at same time.

So ability to make quick coffees (e.g. dual boiler or the right heat exchange i think) is important.

Whilst my BES900 lasted 7 years, it was repaired 3 times and was making hit & miss coffees for a while

Looking for something more rock solid that can last longer than that

I have no idea re options, was looking at a silvia but i think it won't meet the quick coffee requirement.

Lelit dual boiler is outside budget of machine + grinder of around $1200-$1300 from what I can see, what other options do I have?

You're not going to get a dual boiler better than the BES920 with that budget. I'm not even aware of any other DBs at that price. Even the NS Oscar II (cheaper Hx) is over $1300 on its own (new).
    If making lots of coffees at once is important and the budget is fixed you'll either have to go second hand or I'd suggest waiting until closer to Christmas or just after and picking up a BES920 for under $800, then get a better grinder than the Breville, which will see a noticeable improvement in the cup. For your budget I'd suggest the Macap M2D V2 micrometric (still a slight stretch).
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    You're not going to get a dual boiler better than the BES920 with that budget. I'm not even aware of any other DBs at that price. Even the NS Oscar II (cheaper Hx) is over $1300 on its own (new).
    If making lots of coffees at once is important and the budget is fixed you'll either have to go second hand or I'd suggest waiting until closer to Christmas or just after and picking up a BES920 for under $800, then get a better grinder than the Breville, which will see a noticeable improvement in the cup. For your budget I'd suggest the Macap M2D V2 micrometric (still a slight stretch).
    Thanks mate

What about the lelit combi - although the steam doesnt seem that powerful when I watched a youtube vid on it

Any others you would recommend?

The Combi is a single boiler so won't suit your needs, though from what I hear the stream on the newer units is significantly improved. There's no other machine in that price bracket with those features. An older Sunbeam EM6910 would produce similar results, but nothing else new would be as good as a 920. The PL60T V2 sounds like it would suit you aside from the price. A second hand Profitec Pro 300 is still outside your price range even without a grinder. The Breville is going to be impossible to beat if the budget doesn't change (not to have a go at your budget, I have a 920 myself).

Cheers!!

Might have to save up a bit longer and extend budget out to $1500 or so

Might get lucky and snag the PL60T V2 for that on sale

Even PL60T is close to or slightly over $2k. You can't beat BES920 for this budget.

Thanks

You are both correct in that it represents the best value at this price point

However longevity?

I want to keep this next machine for 10+ years

I had the bes900 repaired tice and had to spend $400 on it

so would have to secure machine + grinder for say ~$1k to make up for the difference in price + ongoing maintenance over the PL60T

Random, if you have your sights set on the next level up machine I would just drink a different style (drip, filter, etc) for the next few months until the right second hand unit turns up. Christmas is approaching, a time when people might reward themselves with a better machine 'to cope with the crowds'. Your posts sound like you don't want another Breville, low budget just means you have to wait longer for something suitable to pop up
    Dimal, inorog and level3ninja like this.