• 2 Post By Yelta
  • 3 Post By CafeLotta
  • 1 Post By CafeLotta
  • 1 Post By coolie21
  • 2 Post By SilentBoB

Thread: Silvia's 20th Anniversary facelift

Silvia's 20th Anniversary facelift

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Silvia's had a facelift for her 20th anniversary. Advertised as available for a limited time only.

Shame a PID wasn't added rather than just some color.

Silvia29thAnniversyBlackout.jpg
    flatbattery likes this.

Wow! They've really gone all out to mark the milestone I prefer the standard stainless steel look myself, and I agree would love to see Rancilio do a PID version. If Lelit can do it can't see why Rancilio can't.

Prefer the stainless look - what is the black material made from?

Reminds me of the red leather covered Silvia from around 2010.
    Leather Silvia.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by steiny555 View Post
    ................ and I agree would love to see Rancilio do a PID version. If Lelit can do it can't see why Rancilio can't.
    At the price they sell for nowdays, the Silvia has a frame that rusts and still no PID after 20 years and is just plain bad value for the money I think.
    SilentBoB and Yelta like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    At the price they sell for nowdays, the Silvia has a frame that rusts and still no PID after 20 years and is just plain bad value for the money I think.
    I agree, a facelift hardly constitutes a new model, seems there are a number of better value/performing machines on the market nowadays.
    CafeLotta and inorog like this.

I have seen the "black " in the metal.

Looks OK but IMO the stainless is going to wear much better. A small scratch on the black is going to stand out like the proverbial ….

There is still steady demand for the Sylvia after all these years. Dur for a real update? yes probably is but it still has its place

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    I agree, a facelift hardly constitutes a new model, seems there are a number of better value/performing machines on the market nowadays.
    What would you call the comparable "better value/performing machines"? the Lelit? Others available in this part of the world?

Do you think the extra $$ is worth it to get the PID on the Lelit?

Quote Originally Posted by bron1 View Post
    Do you think the extra $$ is worth it to get the PID on the Lelit?
    The number of Silvia owners that have retrofit a PID probably answers that question.

It would probably be the coffee machine equivalent of the original Vokswagen beetle if it was produced and sold today. Very basic and sort of does the job but they're trying to milk every last dollar out of an outdated design. When it was $400-500 you could sort of understand it but seriously time for a factory PID at the price they sell at today.
    coolie21, inorog and level3ninja like this.

Some anonymous soul should forward this thread to the manufacturers - to get them to lift their lazy game

I sometimes wonder how many people give up on home coffee brewing when they just can't get a consistant result in the cup. Not being able to repeatably brew at a optimal temerpature (93-95C) is probably the main cause. Under temp Sour shots or Over temp Bitter shots will be tolerated for only so long before chucking in the towel.

A well priced factory PID Silvia would be a much better Starter machine by largely removing one of the main variables (temp) and allowing newcomers to concentrate on developing their grinding, dosing and tamping skills. If Breville had better longetivity with their BES920, people would probably not even give the Silvia a second look. When bought on a super Special with an extended warranty, the BES920 is probably still worth a look.

Currently the Lelit PL41TEMD is a strong contender in the price range and probably better value for money than the Silvia. It has a PID and a Stainless Steel body which the Silvia doesn't.
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 6th November 2018 at 12:24 PM.
    level3ninja likes this.

I agree with this 100%. On the other hand, if you were just starting out, and didn't have a great point of reference (thinking of all the many retail establishments and 'coffee shops' that use tinned or stale coffee beans and manage to provide your coffee with a 10-15 second pour) even the non PID'd single boiler might be better. I started with the Breville BES, and was spoiled with the PID, no need to temp surf and consistency (if you got the grind dose and tamp right). When my son wanted to get into this I recommended him the Lelit PM41TEMD and he loves it. It also looks more 'modern' which is relevant if it has to live in your wife's kitchen....
    CafeLotta likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    I agree, I own an Silvia but went away for a month on an extended work trip and made a couple of coffees before heading to the airport. Stupidly forgot to empty the drip tray and I got back to a rusted base which makes the drip tray hard to remove and put back.

Upgraded to a BES920 but alas they just aren't built to last and it has started to breakdown now it's out of warranty so I plan on pulling the old Silvia out of storage and cleaning her up until I find something worth upgrading to on the 2nd hand market.

If I was back at square one though I would probably put my money on the Lelit with PID over a Silvia now.
    CafeLotta and level3ninja like this.