Thread: Upgraditis to a Sunbeam EM6910

Upgraditis to a Sunbeam EM6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well I got the Upgraditis today in an instant whilst in the place that converts cash.

My wife and I just popped in to take alook around and I came across the EM6910 *I checked it over and it was a little dirty but this would be easily cleaned up. *I check the shower filter, and as much as I could see without pulling it apart and I didnt look like it was overly used and in pretty good nick. *

The price tag was $295. *

I figured since my Breville ES800 was only 6 months old I wasnt going to be allowed to spend the $699 for a new one so I thought this would be a very good price to upgrade to the next level without spending too much more money. *Anyway. *once I am happy it is working for a month or so I will probably sell the Breville to reclaim some money back on the Sunbeam.

Bargain? *I am happy with the price.

The only thing now is to get another Tamper 58mm (Fathers Day coming up so I might be asking for a Pullman.) as the breville was a 52mm. *I only came with the double standard filter basket so i am on the hunt for a few items now.

1. *58mm Tamper (most likely a pullman)
    2. *Single Standard Filter Basket
    3. *Naked PF (Do they make these for Sunbeam products?)

I have just noticed now that I have gone all out with Sunbeam
    1. Coffee Machine
    2. Grinder
    3. Knock Box
    4. Roaster (BM)

Re: Upgraditis to a Sunbeam EM6910

Well done matey - thats a great price for a working unit. You will have a ball with it.

Cheers

That sounds like a good find. Hope it works out ok. Ive had the same machine as you have bought for five weeks. It has been great to learn new things, try to work out how to make better coffee, roast the beans for espresso.

Re: list of items. Cant help, except to say that elswhere on this forum people post about turning their Sunbeam portafiller into a naked. I dont think anyone makes one.

Did you get a manual with the machine?

Cheers.

No Manual but not a problem, Just went to the Sunbeam Website and download the user Manual. Did a quick check about cleaning instructions as I of course did a clean out before using it.

Will need to get some of the Sunbeam Cleaning Descaling tablets as I dont know when it was last done.

Also Does anyone know what the Calcium filters insides are meant to look like. The one I have looks like loose sand. Is it meant to be like this or is it time to replace it.

As I got it secondhand I do not know of its history.

The Calcium filter goes like that once water has been flowing through it... very normal...

Hey Goodies!

Hows the coffee?

Cant wait to hear the good news.

You can make up a mixture of citric acid to clean it out....

Ray.

So far I am happy with what it can do to a shot and thats not even close to getting it right yet. (the reason I say this is that because it came secondhand it did not have a 58mm tamper with it, so until I get one, I have had to rummage around the cupboards to find something round approx 58mm wide.

All I can come up with at the moment is a Beer glass with a flat end which is approx 55mm wide. Then I firm it up a bit with the 51mm tamper I have from the other machine. Mind you it is a curved base so it makes it even harder to get it flat, compressed and even.

Cant wait to see what it is like when I get a proper 58mm tamper, but I might have to wait until Fathers Day, Birthday or heaven Forbid Christmas before I get a decent one.

Anyone in Perth got a spare 58mm Tamper I can lend until I get one or Greg, Got any Tester Model Pullmans lying around that I could trial for a few weeks.

I know thats cheeky but people do desperate things to get a good coffee when you are a CS.

I have ordered a Pullman Tamper so I will be anciously waiting on the arrival of that. but a question in the mean time about PF.

Currently I am having to tamp with the 51mm and run around the PF with numerous tamps to try and get the coffee as commpress, flat and even as I possibly can with the tools I have. When I get the pressure guage to the middle (ideal espresso area) I notice spurts of water come from the top edges of the PF and Group Head.

My question is:

1. It this cause by the way I am Tamping
    2. DoestThe group Head Seal need replacing
    3. Neither or Both.

Quote Originally Posted by The Goodies link=1186652619/0#0 date=1186652619
    I have just noticed now that I have gone all out with Sunbeam
    1. Coffee Machine
    2. Grinder
    3. Knock Box
    4. Roaster (BM)
    How do you find the Sunbeam Knock box? I brought one home and found it was a dog to clean, as well the knock bar being cheap and nasty. Took it straight back for a Breville. The removable insert is a dream to empty and clean. Its one of those purchases that went so right. I thought I would only use it if I had visitors but I use it every day.

How do you find the Sunbeam Knock box? *I brought one home and found it was a dog to clean, as well the knock bar being cheap and nasty. *Took it straight back for a Breville. *The removable insert is a dream to empty and clean. Its one of those purchases that went so right. *I thought I would only use it if *I had visitors but I use it every day.
    I like it. I just put a small plastic bag into it (sort of like a bin lining for it) and the only thing I have to clean is the bat. (quick wipe and your done) I remove the plastic bag when full - No mess) The plastic bags I use are the ones you use for your fruit and veg that you get at the supermarket, Ideal size)

Quote Originally Posted by The Goodies link=1186652619/0#8 date=1187009547
    Currently I am having to tamp with the 51mm and run around the PF with numerous tamps to try and get the coffee as commpress, flat and even as I possibly can with the tools I have. When I get the pressure guage to the middle (ideal espresso area) I notice spurts of water come from the top edges of the PF and Group Head.

My question is:

3. Neither or Both.
    Assuming youre getting around 50-60ml in 25-30s from your double basket, probably #2 ;)
    You might as well also check to make sure the PF and basket are flat/level and havent been dented.

-Paul

Hey Goodies,

Your leak sounds like the group head is distorting, check the left hand side of the head where one the lugs of the portafilter fits. Does the zinc guide look like it is rolling over (in)? I had a EM6900 replaced under warranty because of this issue.

Cheers,

Well I think I might have solved the leaking problem. I was not turning the PF around far enough. I was only taking the pf handle to 90 degrees to the machine, but upon looking at some demo videos of the sunbeam 6910 they were turning the handle past the 90 degree mark.

Now I am dong this and taking the handle to the end it has not leaked.

Problem solved

Now that is good news!

You will be able to get back to the real purpose of these machines -

Quote Originally Posted by The Goodies link=1186652619/0#8 date=1187009547
    *When I get the pressure guage to the middle (ideal espresso area) I notice spurts of water come from the top edges of the PF and Group Head. *

My question is:

3. Neither or Both.
    I assume you are using the correct filter basket with many perforations, and not the dual floor filter basket with the single perforation?

If the latter, do check that the single perforation isnt blocked - mine was blocked and water started to leak out around the group head.

There should be a little "blind filter" rubber insert hanging on the inside of the rear door on two prongs, near the bottom hinge.

Grab that and put it into your perforated filter basket and fit the porta filter into the group, loosely. Then hit the switch to start the pour. Now wriggle your group handle left to right - any trapped grind on the group seal will be forced out as it leaks down the sides of the PF on the outside. Do this until there is no more grind that is trapped on your group seal.

Lawrance