Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By justin
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 2 Post By Chris
  • 3 Post By Jv1983

Thread: Time to upgrade- confused

Time to upgrade- confused

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I知 currently using a Saeco Via Venezia with the Breville Smart grinder pro. Pretty happy with the coffee but the machine is getting a bit old and is starting to leak again. I知 due for my next service but thought I壇 upgrade instead.

I mostly make cappuccinos, 1-2 at a time, twice per day.

Looking to spend around $1000 but confused about which machine is best for my needs.

Ideally I壇 like the machine to last 5 years.

I知 torn between the Breville dual boiler, Breville Barista Express and Rancilio Silvia. The Barista Express seems like a silly purchase if I already have a grinder but it seems to be a popular machine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I知 in no way an expert at making coffee and resisted upgrading my EM6910 to a Silvia until it completely died, mainly because I壇 read so much about the Silvia being such a harsh mistress. When I finally upgraded, I also bought a couple of things to help with consistent shots... a calibrated tamper and a set of jewellery scales. I致e had no problems whatsoever in the last year and half of ownership
    Dimal likes this.

The dual boiler on sale is hard to beat in this price range. You should be able to pick it up for around $700+ before or after Christmas
    Dimal likes this.

To me it always depends on your lifestyle and what you want. After various prosumer machines over the years I've ended up with a Breville Dual Boiler, often seen as a downgrade. But! And here's the but. It turns it self on, is widely tolerant of incompetence/laziness, has an easy clean cycle and sits in the corner without looking down on me. If I want to play on a Sunday morning it has enough adjustment and is stable enough to do that, and it throws up a coffee as good as anything I can buy locally.

The Silva is capable of excellent results, but is also capable of making you work for it. If you like to perfect your cappuccinos it may be an option. Would you pick the taste difference between a well prepped Silvia and a Brev? Mmmmmmm not sure.

re: longevity I've racked up 3100 or so brews in a little under three years. I find myself replacing O rings every six months or so but its a 15min job and I almost consider it servicing. My gut tells me my pump is getting tired but the machine would beg to differ. A Silvia would possibly be a little more durable.

Not a fan of inbuilt grinders - much easier to clean and maintain a standalone.

Hope that helps!
    Dimal and level3ninja like this.

Thanks for the replies.

I want to want the Rancilio as I think it will last longer but I think the Breville Dual Boiler suits my needs better.

Whilst my other half likes to play with settings I知 less patient and not keen on waiting 20 mins for the Rancilio to heat up.

The dual boiler is on sale for $719 until tomorrow so I think I will bite the bullet.
    Dimal, inorog and level3ninja like this.