Thread: Sunbeam EM7000 Pressure not working

Sunbeam EM7000 Pressure not working

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, did a search but couldn't find anything helpful.
    Recently got an EM7000 for Christmas. Was very excited to try it out, but I have not been able to make a decent coffee.
    Every time I try and pull a shot, there is no pressure and the water just runs straight through.
    I think it might be an issue with my grinder (Sunbeam EM0480) not grinding fine enough. I have it on the lowest setting possible but it still doesn't help.
    I've even tried pre-ground coffee from the supermarket and the same issue.
    I am tamping down as hard as I can with the grounds in the basket, and it's very tough to secure it in place.
    Really not sure where I am going wrong, or if it is the machine itself.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by radXish View Post
    Hi, did a search but couldn't find anything helpful.
    Recently got an EM7000 for Christmas. Was very excited to try it out, but I have not been able to make a decent coffee.
    Every time I try and pull a shot, there is no pressure and the water just runs straight through.
    I think it might be an issue with my grinder (Sunbeam EM0480) not grinding fine enough. I have it on the lowest setting possible but it still doesn't help.
    I've even tried pre-ground coffee from the supermarket and the same issue.
    I am tamping down as hard as I can with the grounds in the basket, and it's very tough to secure it in place.
    Really not sure where I am going wrong, or if it is the machine itself.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    G'day radXish

It is very likely that your grinder needs shimming. The kit used to be free from Sunbeam, no idea what the current status is. Basically all shimming does is alter the range the grinder operates in.

If you can "beg, borrow or steal" a friend's grinder that makes espresso in their system it would help the diagnostics process. Alternatively, ask your local cafe for a handful of their normal grind and see what the result is (although ground coffee oxidises fairly quickly, the pour does not alter significantly).

Note: standard supermarket ground coffee is a lot coarser than espresso grind, so if you try that it should also be a "gusher".

I hope this helps.

TampIt

Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    G'day radXish

It is very likely that your grinder needs shimming. The kit used to be free from Sunbeam, no idea what the current status is. Basically all shimming does is alter the range the grinder operates in.

If you can "beg, borrow or steal" a friend's grinder that makes espresso in their system it would help the diagnostics process. Alternatively, ask your local cafe for a handful of their normal grind and see what the result is (although ground coffee oxidises fairly quickly, the pour does not alter significantly).

Note: standard supermarket ground coffee is a lot coarser than espresso grind, so if you try that it should also be a "gusher".

I hope this helps.

TampIt
    Hi TampIt,

Appreciate the reply. Managed to find a shim kit on eBay for $2, so once that arrived I'll give that a try.
    Cheers!

Many many years ago when I got my first EM6900, I found that the "Illy" pre-ground coffee (comes in a can), was fine enough to register correctly on the Sunbeam. It may be worth a try.

Also, make sure you are putting enough grind into the basket...there should be an equivalent thickness of a 5 cent piece between the grind and the top of the basket once you have finished tamping.

I am having the same problem and found this post which may be both our issue. Will check tonight.

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...e-problem.html

I'd like to add to your post rather than start another one if thats OK.

I am having the same issue right now however the circumstances are different. Went through everything you described when I first bought the Sunbeam EM7000 and Sunbeam EMO7000 grinder. Once I found the correct setting life was good. Perfect coffee every time for over a year.
    I always run a descaler through the machine and run the cleaning cycle. However I had never removed the 'group head' before and cleaned it. Did that for the first time last week and there was a solid film of coffee over one of the steel discs. I removed it all and cleaned everything, checked the seal and it was all good and put the whole thing back again.

My first coffee had water pouring out. So I assumed that after I had cleaned the group head it either: A. Was able to generate more pressure than before OR B. I put something back wrong. So I double checked everything and it was all good. I have adjusted the grind over and over and it has gone from no pressure and water spilling everywhere to No water spills but cant get the pressure to reach the orange area on the pressure gauge no matter how fine I make the grind.

Has anyone cleaned out the group head only to find you can no longer make coffee the same way as before ?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeen View Post
    I'd like to add to your post rather than start another one if thats OK.

I am having the same issue right now however the circumstances are different. Went through everything you described when I first bought the Sunbeam EM7000 and Sunbeam EMO7000 grinder. Once I found the correct setting life was good. Perfect coffee every time for over a year.
    I always run a descaler through the machine and run the cleaning cycle. However I had never removed the 'group head' before and cleaned it. Did that for the first time last week and there was a solid film of coffee over one of the steel discs. I removed it all and cleaned everything, checked the seal and it was all good and put the whole thing back again.

My first coffee had water pouring out. So I assumed that after I had cleaned the group head it either: A. Was able to generate more pressure than before OR B. I put something back wrong. So I double checked everything and it was all good. I have adjusted the grind over and over and it has gone from no pressure and water spilling everywhere to No water spills but cant get the pressure to reach the orange area on the pressure gauge no matter how fine I make the grind.

Has anyone cleaned out the group head only to find you can no longer make coffee the same way as before ?
    G'day Greenbeen

You have changed the clearance between the p/f and the seal by removing the grunge between the showerscreens. Remove the blue seal (carefully - most 7000s also have a thin blue silicon spacer above the seal - do not lose / damage it) and add another 1ml or so spacer (card will do - just cut to shape, or get an "official spacer" from almost any coffee repair place and pay for the privilege). Be aware that most spacers are card, not silicon.

TampIt

After the blue seal is removed, clean the crud out of its seating groove.
    That and Tampit suggested spacer should stop it spraying water everywhere.
    Then you can start working on the pour