Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Rawshack
  • 4 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By Rawshack

Thread: Rancilio Silvia advice

Rancilio Silvia advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So, Iíve had my Silvia for around 6 months now and I think I can best describe the experience as like being with an ex-girlfriend of mineÖ At times itís magic, the sex is amazing and you actually start thinking that the universe bought you together and all that stuff. Then the next minute youíre hiding the carving knifes and skewers in the kitchen so that you donít kill each other.

When the silvia is good, itís great. At times Iím pulling shots that a couple of my local cafes would be proud of. Other times, Iím thinking that a pod machine isnít actually a bad idea.

Iím running a Sunbeam ES480 grinder.

Any tips/suggestions on getting more consistent shots? I usually stick with my Genovese beans, bought once weekly.

The machine is pre-warmed for around 15/20 minutes prior to use and I temp surf prior to extraction.

Should I be looking to measure the dose? Any other tips for greater consistency?

Thanks in advance
    rossross likes this.

Measuring the dose is a quick, cheap and easy way to get a lot more consistent. You can buy scales that are hundreds of dollars, or you can pay about $30 on fleabay for scales that measure 0.1g and achieve the same thing. Weigh your dose in and your yield out and just by keeping track of it and noting whether it was shops or bad you'll be able to create a blueprint of what you like or don't like.
    andlep, Dimal, npf and 1 others like this.

npf
    Level3ninja makes a great point to achieve measurable consistency.

My take on your issue, as a fellow Silvia owner, is that Iíve come to appreciate the importance of these two variables:

1. The freshest beans possible - donít assume, if itís not fresh, Silvia will make you pay (this goes for any residual grind left in your chute)

2. The quality of your grind for said fresh beans - Iím not familiar with your Sunbeam, but if itís not at least prosumer grade, it likely wonít appease Silvia

New to coffee making and as it happens i have the same setup as you so i shall be watching this thread closely

Quote Originally Posted by rossross View Post
    New to coffee making and as it happens i have the same setup as you so i shall be watching this thread closely
    To be honest, I'm getting to the 'can't be bothered' stage as my bread and butter is a coffee pre-commute and I'm finding it all too much with limited time. It's a fantastic machine, but maybe it's not for everyone (Me included)
    rossross likes this.