Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bushtocup
  • 1 Post By SomeRandomBloke

Thread: Budget of $500-600 : Breville BES870, Sunbeam EM5300 or other?

Budget of $500-600 : Breville BES870, Sunbeam EM5300 or other?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Looking at getting our first coffee machine. I'm not a full on coffee snob....yet....but I am quite critical of most food/drink/everything.

Budget around $500-600 all up. Hence I'm looking at those two units as they have integrated Grinders?

Any one particularly better than the other?

Other options I should consider?

Prefer new as warranty.

Appreciate the help CS

I helped someone in a similar position.

Whilst everyone has their own view I think wait for a 20% off sale at good guys or bing lee and the bep920 will be on sale for around 800-900. That will come with the grinder and served me well for a few years.

Note that bep920 has the grinder (p stands for package) and bes920 doesnít include the grinder.

Does look good. But at $1499, unlikely it's ever entering close to my budget unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloWing View Post
    Does look good. But at $1499, unlikely it's ever entering close to my budget unfortunately.
    I understand that but they often with sales come up at 800-900.

Thatís why I mentioned 20% off at those stores. eBay has them at $1050 now shipped.

Depending on your timing 900 or even 800 is possible.

If you canít wait until the BES920 is on sale and you want an all-in-one unit Iíd grab the Breville BES870. The Sunbeam machines are all pretty rubbish until you get to the EM6910 level. The other alternative would be the Sunbeam PU6910 machine and grinder package. Last time I looked they were available on eBay for about AUS$550.

I am on my second Breville bes870 and recommended you pay the extra $100 or so for extended warranty. The machine is very useful for the first couple of years but the standard warranty is one year and expensive to fix.

I'll keep an eye out for a bargain.

Else the Breville probably suit us well for at least a few years.

And thanks Warren. I actually read some of your posts on them and was planning to go extended!

Anyone with the BES870 able to tell me height with the hopper (bean holder?) in?

Anyone with the BES870 able to tell me height with the hopper (bean holder?) in?
    It is 410mm.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    It is 410mm.
    Thanks mate.

Looks like we have decided on the Bambino plus a grinder.

Now I need to find a cheapish, slim/small grinder...

Looks like we have decided on the Bambino plus a grinder.
    Check that it has a hot water outlet, handy for long blacks. The Seattle Coffee utube review said it didn't.

I was wondering that. I personally just want the Espresso shots. And my wife would just want Latte/Capps. So I guess if guests want a long black then boil the kettle as well!

My first espresso machine was the BES 870. And I managed to make better coffee than with the pod machine I'd been using.

But I recently upgraded to a Flair Espresso paired with a Lido 3 grinder. Both manual devices.Total cost was less than I payed for the BES 870, while flavour is vastly improved.

Much less space taken on the benchtop - looks like that's important to you, as it was to us.

Doesn't texture or froth milk - OK for you I suppose. I drink my piccolo or flat white properly flat (microwave the milk).

I doubt you'll get a decent grinder in your price range, even with a good discount on the Bambino. I didn't really believe all the advice on here about spending as much or more on the grinder than the espresso machine. But I get it now.
    Gavisconi007 likes this.

Aiming for the Breville Smart Grinder I think.

Press button, walk away to settle baby, come back, stick it in Bambino, walk away, tell toddler to stop doing something, come back, set milk jug down, walk away, pick up baby, come back, assemble coffee.

Ordered the Bambino (black) and Smart Grinder Pro.

Should arrive Tuesday!

Bean time!

It arrived!

Need some tips on what to try. Been playing around with it and still have a slight burnt taste to the shots.

Its a pressurised / twin wall system. So it extracts a shot fairly quickly, quicker than the 20-30 seconds guidelines you see around (first drip is about 9 seconds, then its done by about 20-25 seconds). I saw an article say a twin wall setup tends to work 10s or so quicker.

Given its pressurised, do I keep going a coarser grind and extracting 50-60ml until it is better. Or do I maybe go finer and just extract a quicker 40ml shot or so. I've use between 15-19g when doing it all, testing different setups.

Haven't found a whole bunch of info about twin wall stuff online. And assuming it is over extracting, but still coming out fairly quickly, I'm not sure what to try.

I do need to try another bean too. The ones I have are fairly dark, wonder if its just the bean taste.

We like coffee and know when it sucks. But we aren't that finely tuned and mostly do milk based ones. So its reasonably good at the moment, but I get a hint of burnt still.

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    It arrived!

quicker than the 20-30 seconds guidelines
    It arrived!

I do need to try another bean too. The ones I have are fairly dark, wonder if its just the bean taste.
    Definitely give another bean a go. Make sure its fresh not the supermarket stuff. Order some from BeanBay or if you can't wait that long pop down to a local cafe/roaster and make sure they were roasted within the last 3 weeks - giving you at least 1 more week of top quality.

Honestly I prefer shots that are closer to 30-40 ml over a 60ml shot. So in all I'd say a finer grind will help. And make sure you weigh each dose into the grinder and out, if you just eye ball it it can be wildly different!

Yeah I've been weighing.

Once I get grind and machine right, I'll set the Smart Grinder to dose the same all the time.

Will try a finer grind and 40ml or so. See if that helps.

I do notice between 40 and 60ml the stream lightens up a fair bit.

Hi guys, newbie here and keen on getting a half decent coffee machine. Ive gone from not drinking coffee at all to a nespresso to an aldi machine and now want to take the next partly serious step!

Ive been looking at both the Sunbeam EM5300 and Breville BES870 for a while now but stuck on making a call. I don't want anything more expensive than these for now and not taking up too much room is also important.

Can anyone comment on the grinding process of both? It seems like the EM5300 is a grind where you manually push the group head down to extract. (is it even called that?!) whereas the BES870 seems to do it automatically with a button. Some online reviews of the Sunbeam talk about the mess it makes of coffee grinds because of this manual process. Strangely though the Breville has a smaller 54mm head/filter compared to full size 58mm of the Sunbeam.

Ive read somewhere about the Sunbeam also leaking water. The current Breville model has been around for 5 years I believe so it seems fairly consistent and about the only other difference between these two seems to be the bar/PSI pressure being better on the Breville?

Both models also have promos on at the moment with the Breville giving coffee beans.

Just wondering if the Breville is worth the extra $150 or so...

I can't say, have only used the Breville, it does work as advertised, but the warranty is short at 12 months. GOOD LUCK.

I've used both. But the breville was at a family friends place.
    I used the Em5300 at home daily - so far it is a solid machine - only issue is that the coffee grinds sometimes spill out when grinding into the shot.

But I got this machine for free using qantas points so I'm not complaining.

I mix it up with aldi dark roast on weekdays at grind 16 and use the more expensive stuff on the weekends on grind 19.

The breville 870 has a solid history too and less coffee grind wastage. Maybe just get that if you see a deal?

I'm brand new to espresso machines. I recently did a barista course and have had the BES780 less than a week after several years of being an Aeropress man. (I get the beans from my favourite boutique roaster/cafe, so I know what's possible on a commercial machine with the right barista. I am not that barista.)

Out of the box, the settings are pretty good and the grinding setup very convenient. I'm just trying to get the extraction time right, but have been pretty happy with the results. One thing that initially threw me is the 'pressure gauge' which is completely useless to the point of being deceptively wrong. Better off just going by extraction time. But that's a minor quibble really. Texturing the milk was a little difficult to figure out, but I'm very happy with the results now I've learned the quirks of the machine.

I like the results from the Aeropress, but think this is better. And put it this way - I've tasted far, far worse from both cafes and home machines.

As for the Sunbeam, I'd read to many bad reports about inconsistency and build quality to even consider it. YMMV.
    Dimal likes this.

If anyoneís keen, the BES870 is $462 via the EBay plus sale...