Like Tree18Likes
  • 6 Post By LeroyC
  • 3 Post By magnafunk
  • 3 Post By level3ninja
  • 4 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By EspressoAdventurer
  • 1 Post By Melbroaster

Thread: Is Sunbeam Torino worth buying? Hard to say no since the price dropped to $1098

Question Is Sunbeam Torino worth buying? Hard to say no since the price dropped to $1098

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After using Sunbeam Minibarista (bought it with $229) for 4-5 months, i decided to upgrade it due to several reasons.
    With budget around $1000, I was attracted by Torino due to its appearance and functions (according to ads)

However, some friends suggest me to go for Breville Dynamic Duo due to brand's reputation.

Deep in my heart, i really wish to get Sunbeam Torino but i hope i can get some professional insights from all of you before i made any decisions.

Thank you so much guys

Regards,
    Johnson

At $1000 the Torino is still a rip off. To make the Torino Sunbeam basically took features from a couple of quite adequate machines in the EM6910 and EM7000 and ruined them so that they could add a gimmick and make it look like something it isn’t. Why did they do this? Money. Buy the Breville.
    artman, coffeechris, Dimal and 3 others like this.

Keeping in mind I have never seen the torino, if you look around the net, including these forums wou will find many satisfied breville dual boiler owners and very few for the torino. If nothing else, by getting the breville, you know that there are many people out there to turn to for advice to get yourself started with your new machine
    coffeechris, Dimal and PrettyUgly like this.

Thanks LeroyC for your reply!! What Breville model you reckon with my budget?

Thanks Magnafunk! In deed i couldn't get much positive reviews on internet until my friend ask to post my concern on this forum. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
    Also, any recommendations for me? I really wish to throw away my current machine immediately

Get the Breville BES920 + BCG820 (dynamic duo). You can sell the grinder straight away as brand new if you want, the machine is far more capable than the grinder so you can upgrade the grinder and get more out of the machine. Look on eBay before buying in a store.
    artman, Dimal and magnafunk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyUgly View Post
    Deep in my heart, i really wish to get Sunbeam Torino but i hope i can get some professional insights from all of you before i made any decisions...
    I can't give you any "professional" advice, but as someone who has been a staunch supporter of Sunbeam since 2005 (EM6900/EM6910/EM7000), I can understand your desire to stick with the same brand that you have been happy with.
    I hope to be replacing my EM7000 soon and was also looking at the Torino. However, after much consideration, and early positive experience with my recent purchase of a Breville Smart Grinder Pro (which also replaced a Sunbeam EM480 grinder) I feel that the Breville BES920 Dual Boiler will be a better choice.

Depends on how compact you need to be and if you don't mind being the pump the ponte vecho export has a pretty small footprint and a 900ml boler. The lever is piston driven and not like the LP's. I've knocked out around 9 coffees in one go before running out of water.

Only issue is it is hard to find locally (if you can at all) and getting it overseas like I did may not keep it within this price point in today's economy. I got mine under 1k (Inc shipping) 3 years ago and have been very happy with the low maintenance machine.

Ps there is a second hand one in the classifieds, although has a UK plug I believe. mine has an AU plug from the supplier.

IMG_20190113_082918.jpg
    IMG_20190113_082909.jpg
    IMG_20190113_082857.jpg
    IMG_20190113_082754.jpg

If they drop the price by a further 50%, the Torino might represent value for money.

It was a fraud machine and it's clear that the market was sufficiently astute to see that.

I just feel sorry for the suckers who naively paid $2k for one.

I've just had a Torino come in for repair, it's actually the same machine that I bought to use for my review and assessment on my Torino thread that you can read on here. A customer bought it and it's had steady use over the last few years.

The complaint was of a leak coming from somewhere in the machine. Upon assesment, i found the plastic fitting on the steam solenoid to be leaking and the steam diffuser that drains waste water to the drip tray had a broken fitting.
    Neither of these are major problems only requiring replacement parts, or so you would think.

I contacted Sunbeam for a parts listing as they hadn't provided me with one upon which they told me that the parts i need, along with most parts for the machine, are not and will not foreseeably be in stock.

So we have a 2k machine with no parts support only a few years into it's life, that isn't acceptable.
    Fortunately i can repair the machine using other parts so my customer can have it back.

This experience matches Sunbeam's current business model with their espresso machines. The Mini Barista and Barista Max models, both new designs, are not repairable with no parts support. The cases are built using single use plastic clips so if you do want to get inside, you have to break it in order to do so.

If they break down under warranty, you just get a new one.
    I don't find this acceptable.

For this reason i no longer support new Sunbeam products. By all means buy an EM7000 or EM7100 as parts are currently still available however given these recent developments, who knows for how long.

Clayton near Monash Medical Centre luckily
    Hi Noidle, I like most maybe all of your articles, this is no exception; was going to press the like button but that would give entirely the wrong impression. I thought there were consumer laws to protect customers, but then again that's probably in another country. time for properly legislated lemon laws in OZ, but that is probably a minefield. John

Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Hi Noidle, I thought there were consumer laws to protect customers, but then again that's probably in another country. time for properly legislated lemon laws in OZ, but that is probably a minefield. John
    There are !
    However what is Missing IS a Compliant Regulatory and Agency Regime that Actively Monitor's and Enforces where necessary.
    Top level Ted's in bureaucracy are so subservient to Business Associations it is a kindergarten like game of Yes Minister.
    inorog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    I thought there were consumer laws to protect customers, but then again that's probably in another country. time for properly legislated lemon laws in OZ, but that is probably a minefield. John
    There are and the consumer wields a lot more power these days in this regard. I hope it doesn't come to that point in this case. I can fix it for him now but when I'm gone and it needs repairs again, there will need to be some other technician who is willing to put some effort in and make repairs rather than just relying on parts replacement. Unfortunately, parts replacement "technicians" are becoming the norm.

My main problem is with a company who don't seem to care about their product and are willing to just commit it to the ever increasing wastage of our society rather than supporting their product and the repairs industry.
    Breville don't seem to have a problem, they sell parts for all their machines even as far back as the 800ES and ESP series machines (to be fair, not all parts are still available but a majority are).

Australian Consumer Law:

“repairs and spare parts - the manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that spare parts and repair facilities (a place that can fix the consumer’s goods) are available for a reasonable time after purchase unless you were told otherwise. How long is ‘reasonable’ will depend on the type of product.”

Is Sunbeam Torino worth buying? Hard to say no since the price dropped to $1098

If it works out better for them to replace every broken under warranty unit with a new replacement thats fine but if someone has bought a $2k or even $1k machine and are told soon after its out of warranty that there are no parts to support it Sunbeam will get slapped
    Caffeinator likes this.