• 5 Post By noidle22
  • 4 Post By Yelta
  • 4 Post By EZCFlair
  • 1 Post By TroubleBrewing
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 2 Post By herzog
  • 2 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Daffodilgirl

Thread: Confused - just read that an automatic machine doesn't create a true espresso

Confused - just read that an automatic machine doesn't create a true espresso

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

I'm new here. I hope I've posted in the right place.

I've been researching coffee machines for the last week and wanted to buy an automatic one. I've narrowed it down to Melitta CI, Melitta cafeo barista, DeLonghi Magnifica S ECAM 22.110.B, Delonghi Fully Compact Automatic, Gaggia anima prestige, and I looked at some Saeco ones last night but haven't found a review online yet for them.

I was leaning toward the Melitta CI and I read this detailed review on this German blog here: https://www.coffeeness.de/en/melitta-caffeo-ci-review/

But on another page on that site he says that you won't get a true espresso from an automatic machine because of the way it makes the espresso. And that the crema is fake crema because the machine puts a bit of air in it to make it look like crema.

So I'm confused. I wanted an automatic one so I wouldn't have to worry about milk wand steam burns or have to grind and tamp and lock the head? portafilter? in place. But I thought an automatic would give me a real espresso.

I currently have a Nespresso pod machine (a basic one) and wanted to upgrade and have freshly roasted beans and make mochas and lattes.

Thanks for reading :-)

One of those automatics probably wont give you a discernible taste improvement over Nespresso, especially if you are making long milk drinks like latte/mocha.

Id go for a semi auto and grinder, and buy from a good dealer who will give you some starter training.
    coffeechris and Dimal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    One of those automatics probably wont give you a discernible taste improvement over Nespresso, especially if you are making long milk drinks like latte/mocha.

Id go for a semi auto and grinder, and buy from a good dealer who will give you some starter training.
    Thanks Herzog. It's disappointing to discover that an automatic won't give me what I expected, but it would be even more disappointing if I'd bought one and spent money on $40-50kg freshly roasted beans and the coffee wasn't much better than my capsule machine.

My supermarket capsules make better coffee than half of the occasional takeaways I get locally, which is why I don't buy many takeaways as often they're a waste of $4.20 :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Daffodilgirl View Post
    Thanks Herzog. It's disappointing to discover that an automatic won't give me what I expected, but it would be even more disappointing if I'd bought one and spent money on $40-50kg freshly roasted beans and the coffee wasn't much better than my capsule machine.

My supermarket capsules make better coffee than half of the occasional takeaways I get locally, which is why I don't buy many takeaways as often they're a waste of $4.20 :-(
    G'day Daffodilgirl

You have just displayed exactly the kind of good taste that means that you will fully appreciate better coffee.

I concur with Herzog - you will not be happy with a full auto with an inbuilt grinder as the lack of adjustment / issues of the beans heating up in the unit alone will drive you spare (there are a few other gotchas with autos as well). Unfortunately I suspect you may have a case of upgradeitis in your near future as you discover more about good coffee. It is hard to go backwards...

There are a few reasons for separating grinders other than heat transfer - you can always upgrade a grinder later when / if you discover it is not up to standard. BTW, a good grinder is way more important than the espresso machine.

I would suggest you find a few coffee aficionados near where you live and also see if you can get some "barista training" (which means almost anything these days from free to bucketloads of cash and time). Alternatively, find a good cafe and express a little interest to the staff - most of them will be only too happy to answer your queries during a quiet period.

Enjoy your cuppa

TampIt

Welcome " Daffodilgirl"...

Decent Superautomatics worth buying don't really cut it in quality output, reliability and serviceability until you're heading towards and past $3K, so if your budget won't stretch to that sort of number, "herzog's" advice above is definitely the way to go...

Requires some learning up front in order develop proper techniques, etc but once learnt it'll be like riding a bicycle. Plus, the quality of the coffee in the cup has the potential to exceed all your expectations so long as you use freshly roasted, high quality coffee only ground immediately before pulling the shot(s) using a decent quality burr grinder.

Have fun...

Mal.
    coffeechris and Caffeinator like this.

Crikey, they must be crap coffee shops in your area
    Dimal and chokkidog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianB View Post
    Crikey, they must be crap coffee shops in your area
    I had a laugh, DamianB. Yes, they are, depending on who is making the coffee. Sometimes my takeaway mocha tastes like chocolate milk (not joking) when person A makes it and other times it's very nice, because person B makes it. Both work at the same bakery/cafe.

And at another cafe in the same small town, their takeaway coffees were one step above dishwater (not joking either). That was a few years ago, but whenever I bought a "have here" coffee at that cafe, it was very good. I stopped buying takeaways at that cafe and I was only getting one every few months for a treat.

Thanks everyone, for your answers :-) This morning I bought some coffee capsules from the mycuppa site that are freshly roasted and ground so I will see if they're better than the supermarket ones, while I decide on which machine to get.

I have had good coffee locally, but at a different cafe to the above 2. And also in Hobart, there are a lot of good cafes. I had a really interesting coffee a couple of years ago at Two Folk Espresso in Hobart - totally different to what is served locally. I can't remember what it was, but I think it was single origin from Honduras maybe.

P.S. Just read this reply when it posted and I'd typed "I had a laugh" and it came out as "I had a laugh". Now it's gone back to I had a laugh!
    Dimal likes this.

Small Towns....
    I have been served a cup of warm earwax being passed off as coffee. Espresso was near 100ml, and told that's the way the machine makes it...
    I was close to suggesting perhaps I should make the coffee server a drinkable cup.
    I understand you daffodil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    ...................I have been served a cup of warm earwax being passed off as coffee.................
    Gross............haven’t heard that one......
    Last edited by EZCFlair; 14th January 2019 at 11:04 PM.

Small Towns....
    I have been served a cup of warm earwax being passed off as coffee. Espresso was near 100ml, and told that's the way the machine makes it...
    I was close to suggesting perhaps I should make the coffee server a drinkable cup.
    I understand you daffodil.
    G'day Jackster

One "near local" waitress / owner / barista was in tears as her newly serviced "still under warranty" commercial machine (starting with W to identify the poor service mob, not the machine) was producing well over 100ml of insipid, tea coloured dishwater in 25 seconds at the finest setting on their grinder (Mazzer Major). When she complained to the service guy he reckoned it was their grinder...

She nabbed me as I was walking down the street (the pain of being known by her) for a second opinion. I spoke to the service guy and asked him if my Turkish hand grinder should also be a gusher - and suggested he revisit their busy cafe and recalibrate the espresso machine or expect a large legal bill due to loss of trade... Even then he tried to delay by a week! Unacceptable, I said - you have to fix your mistakes asap. Think ocean front cafe with 300 to 400 cups a day of throughput to get an idea of the legal bill.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day a crap service guy can nuke any setup. Small towns are even more vulnerable to a visiting tech - which, to be fair, are mostly pretty good.

Enjoy your cuppa - then the rest of your day will flow so much more smoothly.

TampIt
    Jackster likes this.

If you want good coffee, my advice would be to forget about pods or automatics
    Making great coffee requires some learning, and the ability to adjust variables to suit the beans, the age of the beans and for your taste. Pods are just not fresh. Autos do not have the flexibilty.

For the price range your looking, I'd suggest looking at the Brevelle dual boiler. The most automatic I would go is a Brevelle Oracle, which can make quite a good coffee.
    The dual boiler with seperate grinder will give a little more hands on ability. The machine is self is quite good, and paired with a breville grinder it does ok, set up the grinder and it can do even better.

The set up from there would cost quite a bit more

For the price range your looking, I'd suggest looking at the Brevelle dual boiler. The most automatic I would go is a Brevelle Oracle, which can make quite a good coffee.
    The dual boiler with seperate grinder will give a little more hands on ability. The machine is self is quite good, and paired with a breville grinder it does ok, set up the grinder and it can do even better.

The set up from there would cost quite a bit more
    Thanks DamianB :-) Since I read on here 2 days ago someone bought a Breville Bambino Plus I was thinking maybe I should get that one? I only have a small space to put it in the kitchen and I've read a couple of reviews about it and thought maybe it would suit me. I'd have to buy a grinder though.

What do you think?

I havent used nor am I familiar with the Bambino sorry.
    As for grinder, my order of preference for home use would be
    Niche Zero
    Sette 270wi
    Breville
    I have all 3, and they all work ok, but the differnce is noticable, particularly if later you upgrade machines. The Sette 270wi is a really simple grinder to use, with the built in scale, it makes getting the dose consistanly right. The Zero is a better grinder, a little more work, but worth it. The differnce is small, but noticable. Both are a step above the Breville, but it will get the job done for not much money.

Every part of the process, the beans, the roasting, the grind, the extraction, even the milk steaming, goes into making a fantastic coffee. Each part of the process is as important as the next. Hence you should give the grinder the same priority as the machine. Get the best you can budget for.

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar

Each part of the process is as important as the next. Hence you should give the grinder the same priority as the machine. Get the best you can budget for.
    This is an important point! However many of us would argue that the grinder is the MOST important piece of kit you can have.

It's possible to make great coffee from a bog standard machine and good grinder but next to impossible to make great coffee with a great machine and a poor quality grinder.
    Last edited by WhatEverBeansNecessary; 15th January 2019 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Formatting
    level3ninja likes this.

Thanks DamianB :-) Since I read on here 2 days ago someone bought a Breville Bambino Plus I was thinking maybe I should get that one? I only have a small space to put it in the kitchen and I've read a couple of reviews about it and thought maybe it would suit me. I'd have to buy a grinder though.

What do you think?
    G'day again Daffodilgirl

Grinders: as I posted, way more important than the machine.

My minimum grinder to make good coffee is a SB480 / 500 (no lesser models) or the Breville smartgrinder. The SB is (about $50) cheaper, more manual and a better teaching tool, the Breville is more automatic and slightly dearer. The grind quality is almost identical. Unfortunately I have encountered duds of both of them "out of the box" so a little cross checking against a known good grinder is a prudent idea.

If you want what I would regard as the best domestic grinder, consider the Mahlkoenig (not Baratza - they are a grey import) Vario gen2 (secondhand, not the "gen1") or gen3 (new). FWIW, I would try to avoid secondhand grinders unless you know how to test them. Tiny, quiet, Swiss made (and it shows) and totally brilliant at the Turkish to espresso range of grinding. No static, mess or any of the other snafu's all to common with lesser grinders. In that grinding range it beats the Sette (and a number of massively more expensive grinders) hands down, as the Sette is more of a "jack of all trades" compared to the Vario "master of one". Outside espresso - the Sette wins hands down. Last time I checked Varios were about $100 more than the Sette, way quieter and a little smaller "on the bench". Note: listen to a Sette before you buy it, and try the actual one you intend to buy - they vary a lot in noise level.

I have never tried a Niche, so no comment from me.

I would spend less on the machine if necessary, the SB 6910 (not the 7000 - which is quieter and has some intrusive automatics) is about 1/2 the price of a Breville dual boiler and will make almost identical coffee. Having lived with a number of 6910 / 7000s I can make slightly better coffee than a Breville DB, however part of that may be my setup is geared towards them... The other differences - the Breville takes a lot longer to warm up (SB < 90 seconds, BDB several minutes), chews up a lot more power (you are heating up a couple of boilers instead of just heating the actual water you are using) and also if you are making coffee for a multitude the Breville runs out of puff around shot 7 and needs time to reheat the boiler. The 6910 can do 72 coffees an hour complete with frothing milk (for most of them as it happened) as long as you have a pet serf to keep filling the water tank. Either machine will teach you enough about "standard commercial coffee machines" to make a later upgrade a relatively painless learning curve. Sideways note: although I had a Silvia for 9 years, it is not a good learning machine as the knowledge gained will not readily transfer to "prosumer / commercial" machines later.

I hope this helps.

TampIt
    PS: if you can access a known good repairer or have the tech knowledge yourself (service manual is on this site), secondhand 6910s in good condition go for around $200 and usually only need a thorough clean. I picked up a 2006 vintage one last year for peanuts as it was "supposedly dead". After cleaning it up the only "fail" is the pressure gauge. Pre 2010 6910s are pretty hard to kill!

Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    G'day again Daffodilgirl

Grinders: as I posted, way more important than the machine.

!
    Thanks, DamianB, WhatEverBeansNecessary, and TampIt.

You've given me a lot to think about :-)

Will now look at grinders!

Update

I just wanted to update you.

Last night I bought a Breville Bambino Plus from David Jones for $499 + free delivery. I watched a Youtube video by Seattle Coffee Gear and the milk steaming part didn't seem scary :-)

And now I've just bought the Breville Smart Grinder Pro with Extended Warranty from Bing Lee online.

I've just gotten a quote for some necessary guttering: $2800 :-( so thought I shouldn't buy a $700 + grinder. Maybe I can save up for one :-)

I'm going to buy some beans from Zimmah next, so hopefully I'll be making espressos next week when everything arrives!
    Dimal and DamianB like this.

Last night I bought a Breville Bambino Plus from David Jones for $499 + free delivery.
    The Bambino only comes with dual wall filter baskets (not sure why) but you will need to also purchase single wall filters to get the best from the machine and grinder.

The double shot basket part number is SP0001520 and can be bought directly from Breville. The single shot basket is SP0001518 and isn't quite as important, you want to stick with the double shot basket for the best results.
    Dimal, level3ninja and zeezaw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    The Bambino only comes with dual wall filter baskets (not sure why) but you will need to also purchase single wall filters to get the best from the machine and grinder.

The double shot basket part number is SP0001520 and can be bought directly from Breville. The single shot basket is SP0001518 and isn't quite as important, you want to stick with the double shot basket for the best results.
    I agree. To further explain the double wall stews the taste but produces a better looking shot with more crema and virtually fool proof, no matter what beans are used, the single wall works better for taste but needs fresh roasted high quality beans to produce its magic. In other words you need both basket types.
    It is advisable to have extended warranty with any of the appliance machines but it is a positive to see the bambino comes with a two year warranty.
    Hope to see a user report in due course.
    GOOD LUCK

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenK View Post
    I agree. To further explain the double wall stews the taste but produces a better looking shot with more crema and virtually fool proof, no matter what beans are used, the single wall works better for taste but needs fresh roasted high quality beans to produce its magic. In other words you need both basket types.
    It is advisable to have extended warranty with any of the appliance machines but it is a positive to see the bambino comes with a two year warranty.
    Hope to see a user report in due course.
    GOOD LUCK
    Gah! I didn't know any of that. Thanks, everyone. This is my first espresso machine, upgrading from a Nespresso capsule machine.

I'll be making single shots. I only have 1 coffee per day usually (at breakfast) and I want to make mochas and pumpkin spice lattes (pumpkin spice from iherb.com - it's delicious in my coffee - I just add a little sprinkle).

P.S. I've just ordered freshly roasted beans from Zimmah - The Devil and The Deep :-)

Hi Daffodilgirl. My reaction on reading some of the comments, all of them thoughtful and intended to be helpful, is that a bit of winding back can be a good thing. I think it is complicated to the extent you want to make it so. Follow just the basics and you will probably get a very good coffee along with the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Adjust something if it is obviously out compared with the basics. There are years available for refinement at your leisure, to the extent you desire at the time.
    Dimal and EZCFlair like this.

Thanks so much, Beensean :-) I think I'll stick with what comes with the Bambino Plus for now and then if I think my coffee needs improving I'll buy those extra basket things that were recommended :-)

I've just read on another thread about using cheap beans for practicing so will have a look at Woolies tomorrow at the Republica brand that was mentioned.

And I'll be at Coles next week so I can get those cheap Coles beans, too :-)

Thanks so much, Beensean :-) I think I'll stick with what comes with the Bambino Plus for now and then if I think my coffee needs improving I'll buy those extra basket things that were recommended :-)

I've just read on another thread about using cheap beans for practicing so will have a look at Woolies tomorrow at the Republica brand that was mentioned.

And I'll be at Coles next week so I can get those cheap Coles beans, too :-)
    I would advise not doing any of these things, sorry to sound negative.

You will not be able to produce repeatable and consistent results with dual wall baskets and supermarket coffee, it's just going to be a futile endeavour.

The only supernarket beans I, and many others, would recommend are the Aldi Lazzio brand beans for practising, they are always fresh enough to produce good results.

Using dual wall baskets will mean that you can't alter grind and dose settings and observe a measurable change in the cup. Sure, you will get a coffee, but it's not going to be anywhere near as good as you will get by using the correct gear.

There's plenty of threads on here and videos on YouTube which cover espresso theory, it's definitely worth your time to research them.
    Pair the learnt theory with the right equipment then it's just down to you to practise and improve.
    Brewster, Dimal, inorog and 2 others like this.

Our Coles has Yahava beans. I think they are Margaret River based. Their useby date is 2yrs after roasting (!). But I found bags that were 4wks post roast so expiring in Dec 2020. They got me through the new years period, and we're fresh enough for espresso

After 24 posts we're down to pushing the virtues of supermarket beans, again! it's a growing trend among some posting on Coffee Snobs.

I'm wondering if some of these posters have an agenda? surely not.

Seems to me to be an attempt to bypass all of the collective wisdom of the past 10 or so years, do the people posting believe what they say? or is it a deliberate attempt to promote the stuff being sold by the supermarket chains.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if your taste runs to this stuff, fine, go for it, but please don't insult my intelligence by trying to convince me this stuff is quality coffee.
    Dimal, coolie21, Kjarsheim and 1 others like this.

The only supermarket beans I’d buy are the baked variety but the side effects are not good.
    Dimal, herzog, Yelta and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    After 24 posts we're down to pushing the virtues of supermarket beans, again! it's a growing trend among some posting on Coffee Snobs.

I'm wondering if some of these posters have an agenda? surely not.

Seems to me to be an attempt to bypass all of the collective wisdom of the past 10 or so years, do the people posting believe what they say? or is it a deliberate attempt to promote the stuff being sold by the supermarket chains.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if your taste runs to this stuff, fine, go for it, but please don't insult my intelligence by trying to convince me this stuff is quality coffee.
    Hi Yelta,

I am green as they come so following as many of these journeys as i can, along with my own!

As a senior member and man of obviously impeccable taste, I would respectfully suggest that these posts are probably not trying to convince you of some exceptional quality supermarket beans...
    ...my perspective is quite different from yours in that all is new and shiny and I too thought it logical to experiment by practising with Aldi Lazzio beans - it seems to make sense as a starting point whilst testing the waters.

I am glad I did too - as it instantly affirmed that I am going to spend the rest of my life spending more on coffee beans than less! Whilst i am really glad I tried them, I am convinced it is worth paying more for good Espresso at home. I totally recommend everyone do the exercise at least once (and i believe you have!) but for those like me, starting out that is, do it with some fresh quality roasted beans as a comparison.

I bought only a coupe of hundred grams of each of 2 different 'gourmet' beans, each costing the same more or less as a kilo of Aldi beans and I can't see the Aldi beans getting finished. Naturally YMMV and everyone should find their own way
    Dimal likes this.

Our Coles has Yahava beans. I think they are Margaret River based. Their useby date is 2yrs after roasting (!). But I found bags that were 4wks post roast so expiring in Dec 2020. They got me through the new years period, and we're fresh enough for espresso
    Having visited Yahava in MR last year I can confirm their beans are reasonable. If you can get them fresh they're at least as good as Aldi, probably better (they had a natural processed Indian when we were there that was pretty damn good, but they also had a couple of average beans).
    Jackster likes this.

FWIW I stopped buying from "Yahava Coffee Works" here in Singapore (is it the same?) for the same reason. Got stale beans a few times. Very nice service though, they even sent me a Christmas card. But I could just go down the road where I know my roaster's schedule and turn up the day after for the regular pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by EZCFlair View Post
    The only supermarket beans Id buy are the baked variety but the side effects are not good.
    Definitely a different aroma.
    inorog and EZCFlair like this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    Definitely a different aroma.
    The others here are wondering what I’m laughing at.
    Last edited by EZCFlair; 19th January 2019 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleBrewing View Post
    As a senior member and man of obviously impeccable taste,
    I'll take that as a compliment, I think.

Not sure of this assessment TB, senior member! wont dispute that, not that it counts for much other than having been around for a while.

Impeccable taste! nah, other forum members would run rings around me in this area, my knowledge and taste is pretty well limited to espresso, been drinking coffee for a lot of years, have narrowed my preference down to the aforesaid form of the brew, even then my taste is mine alone, I have established and know exactly what I prefer.

Yep, I have opinions and am not shy in expressing them, doesn't mean everyone has to agree, and they often don't.

Having said that I have no time/taste for poorly roasted and/or stale beans and refuse to use or endorse the stuff.

HooRoo.
    Last edited by Yelta; 21st January 2019 at 04:14 PM.
    Dimal and TroubleBrewing like this.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I've read all the new comments on here, but only today. I bought a 1kg bag of Woolies dark roast beans with no expiry date - the only one on the shelf - last week BUT it has a refund policy! If I'm not 100% happy with them, they'll refund or replace. So I'll ask for a refund if I don't like them.

Nothing's arrived yet :-( sob.

I'll be making single shots. I only have 1 coffee per day usually (at breakfast) and I want to make mochas and pumpkin spice lattes (pumpkin spice from iherb.com - it's delicious in my coffee - I just add a little sprinkle).
    I suggest for one a day 250g would work better. I make five a day and 1 kg lasts three weeks. However even though I have got the freshest beans from a local roaster, by the third week they are getting older and I struggle to keep the extraction fine tuned. So, less is better. GOOD LUCK

IGOOD LUCK
    Thanks, WarrenK :-) Today the grinder and my Zimmah beans arrived, 2 x 200g bags. Still waiting for the Bambino Plus, though.

Update. So far I've made 2 coffees. One with Coles organic beans and one with zimmah devil and the deep.

The Coles needed finer grinding I think. I used 12 grind on my smart grind er pro
    The milk was slimy in it but I steam ed it in microwave.

The zimmah took.me 3 goes with a grind of 23. The beans were ten days old
    Then I foamed milk with the wand, medium for foam and temp. The milk was so good! Better than some of the cafes here. I made a.latte
    But the coffee was nice but nothing special. I couldn't taste any notes, etc

Do I need to fill the basket all the way to top? Because after tamping I don't need to use the Razor yo level off. It's a single shot using the one cup basket.

On phone
    Sorry for typos.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I've read all the new comments on here, but only today. I bought a 1kg bag of Woolies dark roast beans with no expiry date - the only one on the shelf - last week BUT it has a refund policy! If I'm not 100% happy with them, they'll refund or replace. So I'll ask for a refund if I don't like them.

Nothing's arrived yet :-( sob.
    If you still have the bag look for a best before/use by date heat stamped into the top seal of the bag. They have to put it on but they love to hide it.

Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    If you still have the bag look for a best before/use by date heat stamped into the top seal of the bag. They have to put it on but they love to hide it.
    Thanks Chokkidog!

Update after my 4th espresso

I think I've made a good espresso today. I used the double shot basket for the first time as I only wanted to drink single shots. I used Tasmanian Roasters Columbian Gold beans I bought yesterday from Woolies. The Use By date is 08/20. I tried them yesterday on a single shot and wasn't very impressed. I think the grind needed to be coarser.

So I used number 23 on the grinder for a double shot and it seemed to flow out well and had a good crema on it. Then I foamed the milk - still had a bit too much with just under the Min level in the jug - then I poured the milk on top, trying to do it like the baristas do at cafes and it had more flavour than yesterday's attempt.

Then I sprinkled a tiny bit of Ceylon Cinnamon on top and stirred it in with a spoon and drank it while eating a choc hazelnut small donut from Woolies - the latte tasted extra nice after a donut bite :-) but now I think it might have been to strong for me, I had a laugh. I didn't drink it all.

This is the quickest espresso I've made so far - a few minutes. yesterday I spent 80 MINUTES trying to make one because the grind wasn't right and then I accidentally set the milk steamer off without the jug in there and had to go and turn the power off at the meter box because I didn't want to get burnt by the steam!

I've used grind 23 also for the Zimmah beans I tried, so tomorrow might try the Zimmah again in a double basket and see what they taste like in a double instead of a single shot.

P.S. Today was the 4th time I've used the machine because we had to evacuate nearly 2 weeks ago due to the bushfires and it arrived 5 days before we evacuated and I only had time to play with it twice before evacuating. Now I'm home and everything is okay :-)

Reasonable explanation of Single and Dual wall Filter baskets which might be helpful - Pressurised vs Non-Pressurised Baskets &mdash; Guide 2 Coffee

Daffodilgirl, I think this is a good thread for a beginner. Instead of buying more beans, just use what you have, you will develop experience in the process. I suggest Bean Bay on this site would be good for your next beans as they only supply fresh roasted beans. If you go into a trendy coffee shop and buy their trendy dear beans they will try to sell you what they have in stock, you may be lucky or unlucky as to age. I think the Woolworths beans are likely to be far too old as a use by date is nothing to do with a roast date. Up to 7 days after roasting is a good guide but only buy a quantity you can use in two weeks.
    I think Breville are a bit lousy in not supplying both single and dual wall baskets, the manufacturer's cost for them is minor.
    GOOD LUCK

Daffodilgirl, I think this is a good thread for a beginner. Instead of buying more beans, just use what you have, you will develop experience in the process. I suggest Bean Bay on this site would be good for your next beans as they only supply fresh roasted beans. If you go into a trendy coffee shop and buy their trendy dear beans they will try to sell you what they have in stock, you may be lucky or unlucky as to age. I think the Woolworths beans are likely to be far too old as a use by date is nothing to do with a roast date. Up to 7 days after roasting is a good guide but only buy a quantity you can use in two weeks.
    I think Breville are a bit lousy in not supplying both single and dual wall baskets, the manufacturer's cost for them is minor.
    GOOD LUCK
    It's obviously less hassle for Breville not to supply single wall baskets. Then they won't have customer service repeatedly telling people to only use fresh coffee. It's quite convenient for Breville to make their product as simple to use as possible and you will get away with inadequate grinding too. Win, win for Breville and a definite step up from Nespresso.
    Last edited by Erimus; 10th February 2019 at 12:52 PM.

Use by date of 8/20... Probably roasted August 18, so maybe 7mth old already.

Coffee Fiend
    Where in Hobart daffodilgirl?

there are others on coffeesnobs here in Hobart who can help out in person if you wish, just let us know !

Quote Originally Posted by nickR View Post
    Where in Hobart daffodilgirl?

there are others on coffeesnobs here in Hobart who can help out in person if you wish, just let us know !
    Thanks, NickR :-) I live in the Huon Valley and don't get to go to Hobart much.

I made my friend a cappuccino with the Zimmah beans and she said it was delicious :-) I'm now splitting a double shot and drinking a single from it using 2 cups under the spout. I've ordered a measuring glass, the single wall baskets and a 54mm tamper :-)

BeanBay is on my list of beans to try, Warren, but I'm waiting on the Edelweiss and Big Dog beans from Wolff Coffee Roasters in Qld. There are so many different beans/blends I want to try! :-)

I took the Woolies beans back and got a refund :-) (refund guarantee on them)
    inorog likes this.

Two Folk Espresso is at the back of Argyle St Carpark, Nick, if that's what you meant?