Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By buderim11
  • 1 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By level3ninja

Thread: EM7000 Thermoblock always on.

EM7000 Thermoblock always on.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I am looking for some advice I have a old Sunbeam EM7000 , The grouphead thermoblock is always on even when the machine is switched off . The only way to turn it off is to turn the machine off at the wall socket.

When you turn the power on at the wall socket there is a short whir noise like something is resetting .

I am assuming it must be the controller PCB that is over riding the power switch.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem ?

EDIT , I think I have found the answer in this thread , looks like it is the relay .
    https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...ing-water.html
    Last edited by buderim11; 16th January 2019 at 06:13 PM.

Good chance it's the relay, though may not be the only problem. They're stupid cheap from RS. I have a couple of extras from when I did Joe's in that thread, he left the extras with me. I have since moved house though so I'm not 100% sure where they are. Would be cheaper to buy it from RS than for me to post you a free one though. If you do swap it out yourself you'll need a fine tipped soldering iron that heats up quite hot, and once you've compared the replacement relay to the one on the board use a small pair of side cutters / electronics snips to destroy the relay only leaving the soldered pins behind with as much length on them as you can get (but separate from each other). This will allow you to heat and remove them one by one by applying the soldering iron to the short side and pulling gently on the long side with some long nose pliers. Much easier than heating all pins up at the same time.

I ordered a couple of relays this afternoon from RS . Thanks for the soldering tip it will make it a lot easier ...
    level3ninja likes this.

Hi , I have taken the base off my EM7000 and I am a bit stumped can someone advise me how to get to the main Pcb ?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's not in the base. From memory it's behind the middle vertical cover between the group and the drip tray. I think the instructions are in the other thread with the RS part numbers. You need to remove the top to get access.

P.S. if you haven't worked with PCBs before make sure you remove all static electricity from your hands by firmly wrapping them around the kitchen tap (doesn't have to be kitchen, does have to be metal) for a couple of seconds immediately prior to touching the PCB or any components.

Unplug the machine from the powerpoint.

Remove the plastic base of the machine by removing all visible philips head screws. You will then see the pumps and wiring.

There will be 4, maybe 5, small philips head screws that affix the metal cover plate over the PCB that are undone from the base of the machine.
    Once these are removed, pull down on the metal plate and the big white PCB case will be exposed. There's a few more philips head screws that hold the plastic cover over the PCB. remove them to gain access.
    I was wrong, I think I was thinking of the 6910. The two screws that are in the metal cover on the left of your photo need undoing, along with any other screws on that cover.

Yes I have been trying to follow these instructions , I can only guess the metal cover plate is the side panel ? as I cant see any metal plates inside the base .

You only need to take the top cover off if the steam thermoblock fuse has blown. In your case you don't need to. The coffee thermoblock safety thermostat cuts in before the fuse reaches its limit.

There's 4 screws in those small channels you can see at the left of the machine just before the silver drip tray base in that picture. These affix the metal cover to the machine that hides the PCB. Once the screws are out, the cover slides down and away.
    The instructions on the other thread should be sufficient for the rest.
    buderim11 likes this.

I just remembered I have a 7000 in the garage for parts. I was more right than I thought. You are removing the back panel between the drip tray and group, you need to remove the bottom plastic piece to access the screws. See screws in photo in the bottom of the channels in the plastic.
    20190118_215758.jpg
    20190118_220439.jpg
    buderim11 likes this.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and post the photos . I will give it a go tomorrow...