Thread: Breville Barista 870xl under extraction

Breville Barista 870xl under extraction

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello

I have been using this machine for 1.5 years. I clean it every month or when the warning lights turns on. I have noticed for the past month the flow has decreased and sometimes it just trickles and the pressure gauge is close to max. I have to run it three times for half cup of coffee. The coffee is pretty strong but the flow has decreased.
    I have tried with fresh beans as well as trader joe beans. I use the built in grinder. The grinder setting was close to FINE. I decreased the setting for a more coarse grinding to fix the issue but it has not made a difference. The flow is fine without coffee beans.

Is there a problem with the pump ??

Thanks

What makes you say under extraction? Does it taste under extracted? Normally if you get very slow flow due to the grind being too fine it would be over extracted.

When you say the flow of fine without coffee beans, what flow rate are you getting without the portafilter in?

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    What makes you say under extraction? Does it taste under extracted? Normally if you get very slow flow due to the grind being too fine it would be over extracted.

When you say the flow of fine without coffee beans, what flow rate are you getting without the portafilter in?
    My mistake, I did not mean under-extraction. I meant the flow through the filter has gotten slower over time. The coffee is pretty strong since the water trickles through the filter slowly. I use my machine as coffee maker too by running it twice in the double shot mode. Now I have to do it four times.

I am not sure how to check the flow rate when running water through empty filter. But when there is no coffee beans in the portafilter, the water flow through rate is lot higher.

Thanks