Thread: BES920 brew boiler not heating.

BES920 brew boiler not heating.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Morning Coffee lovers,
    I was presented with a 920 for repair as it wasn’t heating the brew,for that matter it wouldn’t start up properly.
    Lights kept flashing and the display didn’t change,sound like yours?
    This is the first 920 I’ve played with so after checking all the discussion surrounding this problem prone machine I offered to check it out for the sad owner.
    This machine both leaked and failed to start up,a leaking warm machine,steamer worked fine as did the hot water spout.
    All discussion suggested the possibility of a failed thermal fuse on the brew boiler ,being difficult to access apparently was the bugger that sent people into a spin!
    As this was the first 900/920 I’ve looked at ,upon opening I noticed the lower front located thermal fuse
    is now relocated to a easy to reach/access spring clip,I simply unclipped the failed fuse ,replaced with a good fuse.
    How easy was that?
    Once I replaced four leaking o rings,job completed,customer will be pleased.
    Tested for a day of lovely coffee & steaming,what can I say but big improvements with Breville.
    cheers,
    mick.

Good even coffee lovers,
    It is with much regret I must inform you good people that despite my previous post suggesting
    I had successful repaired this BES 920 machine,I have failed!

I had a series of successful coffee’s and frothing of milk together with my warm and fuzzy (misplaced)
    sense of achievement all day yesterday.

Today I went off to my real job only to return this afternoon to a, now failed, machine that wouldn’t heat up properly
    and just sits there flashing away it’s starting up lights,!!!! Some might say “bother”!

My good wife even gave it a good scrub with our intention of returning the machine to it’s happy owner!

I believe nothing in today’s clean up contributed to this machines present condition,something else has failed and resulted in my present predicament.
    I simply say “dash it all”.
    cheers,
    mick,
    ps:Happy for someone who may have any helpful suggestions that I might find useful!
    pps: I did check my repairs and all are operational and correct,even the boiler is heating!

Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    Today I went off to my real job only to return this afternoon to a, now failed, machine that wouldn’t heat up properly
    and just sits there flashing away it’s starting up lights
    Which lights is it flashing? Does the screen indicate a temperature? No lights should flash except for the temperature on screen.

A fuse doesn't blow just because it feels like it, something has caused it to fail. A likely cause would be a faulty NTC or an intermittent shorted brew boiler triac, this can happen from steam leaks inside the chassis from failing steam boiler o-rings.

Hello and good morning,
    I have found another leaking water connector on the side of the steam boiler,looking like it has been leaking for some time,all over a thermostat below.
    Yesterday the temperature was flashing and sitting on 110 degrees however,this morning I switched it on (from cold) and everything worked!
    I don’t have coffee in the morning so I back flushed to 9 bar ,just to check whether I could get a coffee out,worked as it should.
    Turned it off and had breakfast,turned it on again half hour later.. same as last night,almost as if a dry solder joint has opened with the higher temperature and open circuited.
    What and where is this NTC you spoke of? (Thanks noidle22).
    Ourcome is the machine operates ok ,as long at turned on from cold,not satisfactory,more work required now.
    Thanks for listening to the rambling anyway.
    cheers,
    mick.