Thread: BES860X not brewing a full shot

Unhappy BES860X not brewing a full shot

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi! I'm new to the espresso world as of a few weeks ago and am having a problem I could use your help with. I have a Breville BES860XL that I found at a yard sale for a great price. After giving it a thorough cleaning it worked great, although I did find a small piece missing from the white gasket the shower head seats against. (I've ordered a replacement gasket from Breville and am waiting for it to arrive.) Fast forward to this past weekend. My grandson wanted some coffee so I ground the beans and tried to brew a shot, but now it suddenly wasn't working right. The coffee would just start to come out of the portafilter spouts when the machine would suddenly click then stop brewing with only a part of an ounce of coffee done. This happened whether I chose a single or double shot. Pushing the brew button again would then give me the full amount of the shot but leave me with a soggy runny puck. This happened with both sizes of both the single and double wall filter baskets. The beans I used were from the can of sacrificial beans I'd bought to clean the grinder, so not the best but they hadn't given me a problem before. I ground them on #5, gave them a medium tamp, and made sure I had the correct settings activated on the machine. I've tried changing the grind to more coarse and more fine and experimented with the firmness of the tamp, but the same thing happens. Do you have any ideas of what could be causing this and how I can fix it? I've got a video of what's happening but need to get it off my phone, as soon as I do, I'll upload it here.

P.S. I'm also searching for a place where I can buy small amounts of good fresh beans in decaf - suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the Breville, but you can buy decaf right off this site under the beanbay section

Old stale beans for a start.

Why don't we have a sticky on the steps required for newbies to make their machines make espresso.

Or maybe a video, with some built in coffeesnobs advertising that can be linked to?

The beans caused that problem? How quickly do they go stale? I understand they weren't the best to begin with, I got them to run through the grinder to clean it and to help me learn how to use the machine before spending $$$ on good freshly roasted beans. What I don't understand why the problem happened so suddenly. Everything was working fine one day, then three days later when I used it again I couldn't a full shot.

I saw that, but it doesn't look like shipping to the USA is available. :-(

What part of the US are you in?

I'm in the Southeast Coast

So near Florida? This thread may be worth a look:
    https://www.home-barista.com/cafes/s...ps-t34564.html