Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jackster

Thread: Sunbeam EM5300 Grinder Too Fine

Sunbeam EM5300 Grinder Too Fine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All, a few months back the pump on my Breville packed it in so I purchased a brand new Barista Max (EM5300) from TGG. It was great, easy to setup and good coffee from the get go. Unfortunately it suffered a fault and would no longer pump water, it all came out the bottom of the machine, etc. Anyway I managed to get a direct replacement due to it failing within 12 months - happy days! Or so I thought...

The new machine's grinder seems to be incorrectly setup. Whereas before I'd grind between 14-16 (spot on in the middle of the 0-30 range) this one, even at max (30) setting is too fine, the coffee comes out like talcum powder and even the mildest tamp - I'm literally just flattening it with hardly any pressure then polishing - results in a hardly any water coming through. I turn it off straight away as I can hear the pump is under way too much pressure. Today I adjusted it past the maximum 30 (another 45 degrees past the max setting and the bean hopper/grind adjuster can be removed) by a few notches and it's grinding pretty well. I extracted a double shot in 24 seconds this morning and it was similar quality to the old machine's.

Question is, what happens if I need to make the grind coarser - and I doubt it's meant to be run in that range. I imagine it may be inconsistent over time as well. So how would one go about adjusting the burr grinder? I've checked and the top burr which lifts out can be installed in two positions, 180 degrees apart. I've tried both positions but it makes no difference to the grind size. The hopper/adjuster can only be installed in one orientation so that's correct.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

I'd talk to Sunbeam. Haven't heard much about that machine, but it basically amounted to "skip it and buy the BES870.”

I have had to clock the grinders to get finer. I think yours will wear in nicely enough as it ages.
    Or, pop the cover off and reset the gears to go a bit coarser
    MonoJoker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    I have had to clock the grinders to get finer. I think yours will wear in nicely enough as it ages.
    Or, pop the cover off and reset the gears to go a bit coarser
    I did a quick Google to see what reset the gears entails but can't see anything useful. Can you give me a quick tutorial in 20 words or more?

Set grinder at the point you grind at for espresso. Remove enough parts so that you can move the wheel without it moving the grind setting. Turn the wheel till it indicates a more favorable number.
    I would probably mark the original setting...