• 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By rodpinna73
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 1 Post By Ronin

Thread: Lelit PL41, no pumping

Lelit PL41, no pumping

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, base model Lelit (PL41?) about 4 years old. This morning, no pump action and no light on the pressure gauge. The machine heated up, and the LED next to the power switch still comes on. Neither of the other LEDs do anything.

Is this going to be a pump replacement, or is there something else I should look at?

Thoughts, other than get a new machine :-) most welcome

Suggest giving the people at Jetblack Espresso a call, they may well be able to help.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    [*]PS I assume it is not low on water! [/LIST]
    I'm assuming that as well, is there a way to check? The tank is full, and I can only assume the boiler is primed.

I'm in Perth so I'll probably give one of the local mobs a call. Bought the machine locally, though interestingly enough or did come with a jet-black sticker on it, so I guess it ultimately came from there.

Does it still heat up, or did it heat up this morning, then pump/heating function stop? If so, it may be the re-settable thermostat on top of the boiler.

If it's not that, maybe a new pump time, they tend to get 4-5 years life from an Ulka in those machines because pump is right next to boiler

Quote Originally Posted by rodpinna73 View Post
    Bought the machine locally, though interestingly enough or did come with a jet-black sticker on it, so I guess it ultimately came from there.
    That's why I suggested calling them, they probably know more about Lelit models than most., not sure , I have a felling they are Australian importers.

It was the water tank I was referring to, thought there may have been a low water cut out, if the tank is full that takes care of that idea.

Should be repairable, this sort of thing can be frustrating, let us know the outcome, good luck

If youre not confident checking 240v wiring and frying yourself then best get it looked at. Otherwise you can check to see if the pump is getting power or where it stops. My guess is that it will be a simple fix.

Cheers

Thanks all. I had a quick look and I'm not even completely sure how to open it. I'm guessing it's the two security screws near the top inside the part where the tank goes.

Might be best if I leave it for a repairer, rather than try myself, of I can't even get into it

Quote Originally Posted by rodpinna73 View Post
    Thanks all. I had a quick look and I'm not even completely sure how to open it. I'm guessing it's the two security screws near the top inside the part where the tank goes.

Might be best if I leave it for a repairer, rather than try myself, of I can't even get into it
    Probably a good plan of action.
    Dimal likes this.

Back to close this out. Had it looked at by a local mob. Apparently it just need a service. Unfortunately there want the tech there to talk to when I picked it up. A bit surprised that a need for service would make the pump cut out, bit there you go.

(If anyone has an explanation, I'd welcome it!)

Guess I need to up my cleaning routine.
    Jackster likes this.

Does the receipt just say service or does it list parts replaced?

Shower screen and sealing ring. Will scale build up stop the pump?

No. It would still at least try to pump.
    Hope the issue stays away. Sounds to me that your machine decided to work ok after a trip in the car.
    Dimal likes this.

Do you ever clean the machine?
    We had a lelit just like this in recently, I’d say it’d never been cleaned probably the worst I’ve ever seen.
    In short, if all the water paths are blocked with rancid coffee oils then yes a good clean and service will be all is needed.

Where did you get it serviced?
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    No. It would still at least try to pump.
    Hope the issue stays away. Sounds to me that your machine decided to work ok after a trip in the car.
    Bad scale can stop the pump

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Do you ever clean the machine?
    We had a lelit just like this in recently, Id say itd never been cleaned probably the worst Ive ever seen.
    In short, if all the water paths are blocked with rancid coffee oils then yes a good clean and service will be all is needed.

Where did you get it serviced?
    Caffetto backflush every few weeks. Descaling every few months with either citric acid or vinegar mix. Backflush never looked particularly black (actually usually comes out pretty white).

Generally 2x a day during the week, then probably six coffees over the weekend. Using the steam very rarely.

It's definitely had the screen and sealing ring replaced - the porta filter is tighter to lock into place.

What I found odd about the explanation, as noted by Jackster, was that I would have expected the pump to keep pumping if it was just blocked. I also can't see why the light behind the pressure dial would have gone out.

Bad connection somewhere?

Not a sponsor, so I won't name them. Are there any WA sponsors?

So what is its modus operandi?
    Red light when heating, and no pumping ability, then when hot, the red light goes off, green comes on, and then the pump will work?

Dimattina in Osborne Park is a sponsor

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    So what is its modus operandi?
    Red light when heating, and no pumping ability, then when hot, the red light goes off, green comes on, and then the pump will work?
    Normally, the light behind the pressure gauge is always on. When it's heating, the heating light is on on. There is a seperate switch to turn the pump on, and another to select water from group or steam. The pump can be switched on at any point.

When it wasn't working, the pump was completely dead. No pump light and the light behind the pressure gauge first went dim, then after awhile went completely out. It was still heating, and that light was on.

It sounded electrical to me, which was why I was a little surprised it was just cleaned, but it does seem to be working.

Also thanks for the heads up on dimattina.