Thread: Problems with my EM7000

Problems with my EM7000

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys

So recently I got my hands on a spare portafilter for my Sunbeam EM7000 and converted it to a naked portafilter. Before this I was always measuring the shot through weight and time. Using fresh beans and all, I was pretty shocked to see how terrible it was coming out. It was spitting everywhere! I tried to adjust the grind, dose, pre-infusion settings, distribution techniques -- everything and nothing changed.

Luckily, the guy who sold me the portafilter also just gave me his EM6910 with it which I was going to just give away. However, I decided to pull a shot on it using the same settings as my EM7000 and my god did it come out perfectly. No signs of uneven distribution and a nice thick crema came pouring out.

Just to be sure I did this 3 times on each machine. All 3 times, with exact same techniques and settings, the EM6910 pours perfectly and the EM7000 came out like a tragedy. Unfortunately the EM6910 suffers from me having to really tighten the PF on or it leaks (a common collar issue it seems) so my preference would be to continue using the EM7000.

Is there something faulty with my EM7000? Has anyone else had experience using a naked PF on one or ever compared it with an EM6910?

Quote Originally Posted by ultralightmeme View Post
    Hey guys

So recently I got my hands on a spare portafilter for my Sunbeam EM7000 and converted it to a naked portafilter. Before this I was always measuring the shot through weight and time. Using fresh beans and all, I was pretty shocked to see how terrible it was coming out. It was spitting everywhere! I tried to adjust the grind, dose, pre-infusion settings, distribution techniques -- everything and nothing changed.

Luckily, the guy who sold me the portafilter also just gave me his EM6910 with it which I was going to just give away. However, I decided to pull a shot on it using the same settings as my EM7000 and my god did it come out perfectly. No signs of uneven distribution and a nice thick crema came pouring out.

Just to be sure I did this 3 times on each machine. All 3 times, with exact same techniques and settings, the EM6910 pours perfectly and the EM7000 came out like a tragedy. Unfortunately the EM6910 suffers from me having to really tighten the PF on or it leaks (a common collar issue it seems) so my preference would be to continue using the EM7000.

Is there something faulty with my EM7000? Has anyone else had experience using a naked PF on one or ever compared it with an EM6910?
    Sounds like it just needs a new rubber seal.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Sounds like it just needs a new rubber seal.
    On the EM6910 you mean?

G'day mate...

Are you using the same filter-basket and Group Handle in either machine?

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    G'day mate...

Are you using the same filter-basket and Group Handle in either machine?

Mal.
    Same filter basket and group handle! I read that they were both interchangeable or am I wrong

On the EM6910 you mean?
    Yes

Hi again "ultralightmeme"...

I was just wanting to ensure that we are comparing apples with apples.
    Given that, it could be that the Brew Water Pressure is too high on the EM-7000.
    I don't know whether this unit uses an Over Pressure Control of some kind, but if it does, it would probably be worthwhile checking this and adjusting it such that the system delivers ~9.0 Bar to the top of the coffee puck.

Other owners of the EM-7000 might jump in and advise how to go about this...

Mal.

New seal and possibly a shim for the 6910, then give away the 7000.

Can build yourself a pressure gauge.
    I bought a couple of blind baskets, and a pressure gauge. Then you can use the bit you chopped off in your naked conversion to be sealed inside the blind, and the gauge fitted to the thread protruding through a hole cut in the blind...

Not sure how well that is explained....

Could also flow check the 7000 pump. Will need to remove the valve above the shower screen (12mm socket). Need around 300ml in 30sec.

Not sure if the 7000 has a opv, 6910 has only a air bleed, and I think the 7000 is the same.

Do the pressure gauges read the same during shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    New seal and possibly a shim for the 6910, then give away the 7000.

Can build yourself a pressure gauge.
    I bought a couple of blind baskets, and a pressure gauge. Then you can use the bit you chopped off in your naked conversion to be sealed inside the blind, and the gauge fitted to the thread protruding through a hole cut in the blind...

Not sure how well that is explained....

Could also flow check the 7000 pump. Will need to remove the valve above the shower screen (12mm socket). Need around 300ml in 30sec.

Not sure if the 7000 has a opv, 6910 has only a air bleed, and I think the 7000 is the same.
    I'll be honest mate, I am probably not going to do this as I don't think it's worth the effort on the old thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Do the pressure gauges read the same during shots?
    Yeah they do, all coming out in the correct bars of pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Hi again "ultralightmeme"...

I was just wanting to ensure that we are comparing apples with apples.
    Given that, it could be that the Brew Water Pressure is too high on the EM-7000.
    I don't know whether this unit uses an Over Pressure Control of some kind, but if it does, it would probably be worthwhile checking this and adjusting it such that the system delivers ~9.0 Bar to the top of the coffee puck.

Other owners of the EM-7000 might jump in and advise how to go about this...

Mal.
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it does have that control!

I'll be honest mate, I am probably not going to do this as I don't think it's worth the effort on the old thing!

Yeah they do, all coming out in the correct bars of pressure
    If you will not do any testing on your machines to test and compare your machines, then there is not much more I can do to help you.
    Oh, I could send magic fairies over there to make it all better....

Is removing the shower screen on the 7000 and cleaning it worth the effort? You will need to undo one screw and I know that's kind of a lot. Maybe ask the fairies to do it for you while they are there.

Hey guys

G'day ultralightmeme

I agree with Jackster - probably your 7000 needs a clean between the showerscreens, whilst the 6910 needs a spacer.

Pull the showerscreens on your 7000 off (one PH#2 - ask any handyman) and remove (clean off) the baked in crud. See the photo. Ignore the top two items, the lower two are the showerscreens, complete with what I expect the ones on your 7000 look like.

IMG_1970.jpg

Then do the same on the 6910 and remove the seal (pretty blue thing in the photo above), clean it and if it is torn, replace it. If it is not torn, you need to add another spacer above it to move it down a tad. Weetbix packet and scissors if you are handy - just cut it to the same shape as the top of the seal. Or pay up to $27 for a small piece of card... If that doesn't fix it you may be in the unlikely camp of needing to replace the collar - over to a repair shop.

Hope this helps.

TampIt

I recently did this on the EM7100 and the naked portafilter does spit a lot.

The naked portafilter was off an EM6910 and I have been able to get shots to not spit with extra effort whilst distributing. So it is possible but I might say it is temperamental.

Quote Originally Posted by bittenyakka View Post
    I recently did this on the EM7100 and the naked portafilter does spit a lot.

The naked portafilter was off an EM6910 and I have been able to get shots to not spit with extra effort whilst distributing. So it is possible but I might say it is temperamental.
    For the record, the four p/fs I use on my 7000 are all brass 6910's converted to naked. They work fine. The thick stainless p/f which came with the 7000 was also converted to a naked, however it takes forever to warm up and is quite out of balance to use (post conversion - the original with spouts was reasonably balanced) so it is in storage. Nakeds will make any issues with technique blindingly obvious - which is why I always train newbies with nakeds. After they get good pours out of the naked, it is amazing how much their coffee has improved in flavour.

TampIt

Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    G'day ultralightmeme

I agree with Jackster - probably your 7000 needs a clean between the showerscreens, whilst the 6910 needs a spacer.

Pull the showerscreens on your 7000 off (one PH#2 - ask any handyman) and remove (clean off) the baked in crud. See the photo. Ignore the top two items, the lower two are the showerscreens, complete with what I expect the ones on your 7000 look like.

IMG_1970.jpg

Then do the same on the 6910 and remove the seal (pretty blue thing in the photo above), clean it and if it is torn, replace it. If it is not torn, you need to add another spacer above it to move it down a tad. Weetbix packet and scissors if you are handy - just cut it to the same shape as the top of the seal. Or pay up to $27 for a small piece of card... If that doesn't fix it you may be in the unlikely camp of needing to replace the collar - over to a repair shop.

Hope this helps.

TampIt
    Thanks for the reply TampIt, I did give the showerscreens a good clean before with no luck (was actually the first thing I did). Also did a proper clean on the machine too with no avail

As for the rubber seal, TIL it's meant to be blue. I've ordered a new one as it looks like there's some torn parts, lets hope that's the solution