Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By pcrussell50
  • 1 Post By pcrussell50

Thread: I plumbed and rotary pump'ed my Breville Dual Boiler

I plumbed and rotary pump'ed my Breville Dual Boiler

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    And it's easy...

Mine is, and has been already flow profiling through an on-the-fly controllable needle valve, a la Bianca/Slayer.

So the next step for me was to go rotary. I just did this to mine. And it's easy and reversible for factory repairs. Very very fun to use this way. BUT...

1) It's commercial style... Not home style. By that I mean that the motor and the pump that is attached to it is NOT inside the machine. Right now, I have it under the kitchen sink. The pump is being fed by the output from my ion exchange softener, which I have always had under the sink anyway. The output from the pump comes out through the hole in the granite counter that was there for a soap dispenser (who uses those anyway?)

2) In stock form, this machine has it's own separate, dedicated steam boiler pump. The system works very well and does not ever interfere with an extraction because of a software call to fill the steam boiler. I decided not to mess with it. So I keep a little water in the reservoir tank, for steam boiler fills and let the system operate as it always does.

3) Before I did the rotary, I had wired in a pump interrupt switch, so I could switch off the vibe pump while the solenoid remained open, for long slow puck soaks. And I wanted to retain that capability with the rotary, so I came up with an ingenious solution... Since I have the pump under the sink, I plugged it into the garbage disposal outlet and switch it on and off with the disposal switch, which is right next to the machine by the sink (the way a lot of plumbed home machines are). Now, I have independent control of the pump and the solenoid, to go along with my full authority on the fly needle valve.

4) Still, going rotary is all bling. I cannot honestly say that it makes better espresso than a vibe pump with full control. But I can honestly say that being plumbed is nice, not having to worry about reservoir fills.

With the pump mounted remotely under the sink, the loudest noise is the sound of the espresso running into the cup, with a quiet solenoid hum in the background. This is a HUGE aesthetic improvement and is two tons of fun.

-Peter

Developing thread here:
    https://www.home-barista.com/espress...ry-t58362.html
    LeroyC, 338 and 392392 like this.

Couple of videos. I decided not to use my needle valve to profile these shots, and leave the emphasis on the rotary experience. So I just whacked on the switch and hit the puck with the full 12.5ml/s flow rate like a traditional La Marzocco Linea Mini style pull.

Cup warming with line pressure only, no pump:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwedIMLWRyc

The extraction, with pump on from the beginning (and gratuitous commentary from wife):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ421vWHlJU

Sorry for dirty machine and the poor light/focus on the second one. I didn't have my "filming light" under the the group head and the camera focused on the outdoor light.

-Peter
    Last edited by pcrussell50; 27th April 2019 at 05:44 AM.
    LeroyC likes this.