Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 1 Post By level3ninja

Thread: Sunbeam EM7000 - hot water from hot water wand and not the group head wheen control

Sunbeam EM7000 - hot water from hot water wand and not the group head wheen control

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Machine on - no leaks - boots up as normal.
    Hot water control off.
    Then, when pushing any control panel button - manual, 1 , 2 cup - the water is directed to the hot water outlet/wand with only some from the group head.
    Turn the hot water on and it functions as normal - turn it off and hot water stops.

Maybe a solenoid behind the hot water control stuck. Maybe part 50-4027-1

Any way to check it?

Any thoughts on what the issue is and how to fix it, please?

Certainly sounds like the solenoid that directs water to the group head when de-energised or the hot water wand when energised. Unplug your machine from the wall, undo the nut holding the coil on the shaft of the solenoid, remove the solenoid and disassemble, give it a thorough flushing as it sounds like something is stuck inside it and preventing it from closing properly. Have you recently don't a descale or anything like that? Once it's clean reinstall the solenoid and solenoid coil, then test machine.
    Last edited by level3ninja; 27th April 2019 at 05:03 PM.

If it the same as a 6900/6910, it will be your hot tap leaking or not turned off tight.
    The 6910, when the brew pump is powered, the water can flow to the drip tray (through the solenoid if open), to the brew head if the hot tap is closed and the solenoid is closed, or out the hot tap if the solonoid is closed and the hot tap is open.

Is the 7000 a different setup level3ninja?

I thought there was an extra solenoid for the hot water line but I'm not sure. I'll have a look at the parts one I have in the garage and report back.

So, from what I can see the water pathway starts at the tank, goes to the brew thermocoil, goes to a solenoid attached to the top of the hot water wand, then either goes down through the hot water wand or continues out the solenoid to the group head.

With some testing I believe the solenoid does determine if the water goes to the hot water wand or to the group head. I tried removing the microswitch that tells the machine the hot water wand has been activated, then opened the hot water valve during a shot. No water came out the hot water wand, it all continued out the group head.

I let the shot run with the hot water valve open and pressed the microswitch. This killed the shot and sent water through the wand.

I disconnected the wiring to the solenoid, opened the hot water valve and (without a shot running) pressed the microswitch. Water came out the group head and not out the wand.

20190427_123046.jpg

20190427_123446.jpg

Edit: the water must come from the tank via the pump
    Last edited by level3ninja; 27th April 2019 at 12:09 PM.
    Jackster likes this.

After further experimentation what I called the hot water valve is not a valve at all. The knob's only function is to activate the microswitch. Leaving the knob in the off position and operating the microswitch makes hot water come out the wand.
    Jackster likes this.

Better setup for sure!
    I had a good go at relapping the hot valve in my 6910, it's now only about 4 drops in a 30sec shot.
    level3ninja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dpar View Post
    Maybe a solenoid behind the hot water control stuck. Maybe part 50-4027-1

Any way to check it?

Any thoughts on what the issue is and how to fix it, please?
    That's the part number for the 3-way valve that releases pressure at the end of the shot. The one you're probably having issues with is part number 50-4028-1. As I said above it needs to be disassembled and cleaned. Most likely is that it has a foreign object stuck in it. Other possible causes are the spring or gasket failed within the valve, unlikely to be a complete failure of the valve itself.

While I think of it the other option is the relay that controls that solenoid is stuck closed, or at least partially closed. I think this is less likely due to the water coming out both places. I would pull the valve apart and clean it first, then if it's still a problem you might need to test the control circuit.

The way to test that is to (with the machine unplugged from the wall) have a licenced electrician disconnect the blue wire off the solenoid and let it hang in free air carefully. Have your licenced electrician plug the machine back into the wall and run the shot. If the shot still comes out the hot water spout the issue is in the physical valve, if the shot now behaves normally the problem is electrical in the control circuit.

What's your location dpar?
    Jackster likes this.