Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 3 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By ultralightmeme
  • 2 Post By CafeLotta
  • 1 Post By JetBlack_Espresso
  • 1 Post By Willowbanker
  • 1 Post By lestone

Thread: New machine advice. Looking at the nuova Simon Elliott oscar 2. Alternatives?

Cool New machine advice. Looking at the nuova Simonelli oscar 2. Alternatives?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi its time to upgrade my current machine i have been using for about 8 years now. I drink a mix of espresso and milk based coffees. Our household usually only makes about four coffees a day. Looking at spending around $1000 to $1400 on a machine and topping my list at the moment is the Oscar 2. If anyone has any positive or negative feedback on this machine it would be much appreciated, as well as any other machines around this price point you think are better and why?? Also does anyone have any idea what sort of lifespan i should expect out of the oscar 2? Thanks in advance

What grinder do you currently have, and are you planning to upgrade that too? Is the budget for machine only or both?

Hi sorry yes that budget is just for the coffee machine i am also upgrading the grinder to compak k3 or m2m or something around that
    Last edited by Willowbanker; 10th May 2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Auto correct

I have a Musica that I like. The Oscar2 is similar but no hot water wand. Not that big a deal as you can just use group water or steam your water as hot as you like.
    I don't like the warm up time, but that is easy to rectify.

I think the Oscar is the same as the Musica, in that if it's turned on, and you flick it off at the wall, when you flick the wall back on, the Musica starts heating up. This suits a wifi switch perfectly.
    lestone likes this.

I can recommend the slightly cheaper Rancilio Silvia, although I am not sure what you are upgrading from?

$1000 should allow for a brand new silvia with a naked portafilter to match! The new versions are a big improvement in comparison to previous models (I have used v2,v3, and v5).

Hmmm...

A "standard" Silvia of any guise or age would be the last machine that I would recommend, given the plethora of much better value/performance machines that are available.

Mal.
    Last edited by Dimal; 18th May 2019 at 09:33 PM.
    CafeLotta, level3ninja and lestone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Hmmm...

A "standard" Silvia of any guiuse or age would be the last machine that I would recommend, given the plethora of much better value/performance machines that are available.

Mal.

Such as? What else do you recommend?

I have the Oscar I and have been really happy with it, steam power is a beast and as far as I know the Oscar II is very similar in performance
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowbanker View Post
    Looking at spending around $1000 to $1400 on a machine and topping my list at the moment is the Oscar 2. If anyone has any positive or negative feedback on this machine it would be much appreciated, as well as any other machines around this price point you think are better and why??
    Maybe the search box at top right of the forum page needs to be a bit bigger?

(To be honest I tend to use Google with "Coffeesnobs + .................")

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...-oscar-ii.html
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 19th May 2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added Google reference
    Dimal and Yelta like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsr20 View Post
    Such as? What else do you recommend?
    Several of the Lelit range come to mind...
    If you could find a used Silvia in good nick for between $300-400, that's about what one is worth in my opinion.

Mal.

Site Sponsor
    Some second hand/ex demo coffee machine options.

and the Lelit coffee machine range.

charlie
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    Maybe the search box at top right of the forum page needs to be a bit bigger?

(To be honest I tend to use Google with "Coffeesnobs + .................")

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...-oscar-ii.html
    Thanks for the reply. I have previously read through this thread as well as others before posting. It is quite a long thread but with very little information regarding the machine accept info about the screw securing the shower screen and people saying they want to check the machine out. Nothing that really relates to my query anyways. Thanks again
    lestone likes this.

Ive been looking as well and in that price range it seems to be the pick with an opv valve installed . the warm up times seem resonable and it seems more user friendly than a silvia.

I thought the lelit p60 looked good too https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...0-dual-boiler/
    Dimal likes this.

Bezzera bz 35 or BZ99 DE volumetric both are great machines