Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By JojoS
  • 1 Post By JojoS
  • 1 Post By JojoS
  • 1 Post By JojoS
  • 1 Post By migo33

Thread: Fix the Gaggia Classic or get a second hand or new alternative?

Fix the Gaggia Classic or get a second hand or new alternative?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hereís the gist.
    I have a 2004 Gaggia Classic which has some issues such as constant water dripping from the steam wand (even after replacing the steam valve), unable to fully lock the portafilter at the group head and just overall canít seem to get a good creamy espresso (low, honey drip).

I use a Rancilio Rocket grinder and try to use fresh beans.

My questions are:
    1. Should I try to fix the Gaggia? This might be a long experimental process or a simple replacement of some seals.
    2. Should I get a new Gaggia?
    3. Should I get a second hand Silvia or Lelit which seem to be of higher quality?

Cheers
    Mike

Try the stepless mod for your Rancilio Rocky grinder and see if you can get better results. Your grinder is known to not play well with the Gaggia Classic without the stepless mod.
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks JojoS for the mod solution. This might solve some issues but overall I think my Gaggia needs some servicing and I am not sure if it makes sense to service it (could be $200+) or get a different machine.

What kind of servicing do you think is needed? The GC is a very DIY serviceable.
    Dimal likes this.

That's the point. I don't know what I need to service. I replaced the group seal and steam valve a couple of years ago but it feels like I'll end up buying parts I don't need or perhaps damaging the machine. I also concern (a bit) about aluminium residue form the boiler after 15 year of use even though I can't taste anything or get any scientific data about this.

If you are considering a boiler teardown, you really won't know what you will need to replace until after disassembly. Also, 15 years of use without mention of the preventive maintenance or service history other a group gasket and steam faucet replacement is not much to go on. Water dripping from the steam wand is so common with GC that is is more like a feature than a problem. I just use a cup to catch the drip.
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks. I use a cup as well. not a big problem.
    I descale and back-flush periodically, clean the machine and the group head with a brush. I did muck around once with the OPV so not sure if the pressure it correct. Not much else that needs to be serviced I assume except perhaps replacing seals.

Messing around with the OPV without a pressure gauge will put your brew pressure in an unknown state. Best to get that sorted out and the grinder stepless mod to see if you still want to get a new machine. Good luck!
    Dimal likes this.

Getting the OPV to the right setting made a world of difference to my Classic. Don’t rule out the machine before making what is a simple adjustment. If it’s running too many bar of pressure, it could explain a number of your issues...

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoneRanger View Post
    Getting the OPV to the right setting made a world of difference to my Classic. Donít rule out the machine before making what is a simple adjustment. If itís running too many bar of pressure, it could explain a number of your issues...

Andrew
    I decided to take the machine for a service quote before making a decision. I am now actually less inclined to spend on a different machine as I am not that convinced that another single boiler will make such a difference. I think my Gaggia only needs a few adjustments and perhaps new seals. Will post back.
    Dimal likes this.