Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By level3ninja

Thread: EM6900 - Repair or move on?

EM6900 - Repair or move on?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

A sad start to the week this week with my faithful Sunbeam EM6900 packing it in....well the steam pump seems to have anyway. I have had the old girl for 11 years and used it daily with nil issues over its lifetime. Which considering my poor maintenance other than always flushing the basket clear and keeping externally clean, is surprising!

I pulled the covers off and ran a multimeter over the micro switch on the steam control knob and this seems to be working properly, and when the knob is turned a small amount of water will come out of the steam wand, which i assume means the solenoid is functioning? I assume this means either the steam pump has died or the control board is stuffed.

My nearest sunbeam service agent is in Newcastle/Charlestown (an hour away) and I am wondering if it is time to let the old girl go to Coffee Heaven or if I should look to have her repaired?

Thoughts from the Brains trust? If the pump is stuffed what should I be looking at cost wise to have her repaired?

Cheers Pok.

P.S I am also keeping a close eye on Gumtree etc.... I was able to score an EM7000 for work which had done very little work for $50 a few months ago and also a very well looked after EM6910 for my Father for $100 about 18 months ago. If I can find a bargain like those I will be a happy man and won't bother repairing the old girl, as wasteful as that is.

Is the steam pump making noise? Maybe the steam side needs the vinegar descaling?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Is the steam pump making noise? Maybe the steam side needs the vinegar descaling?
    Not that I can hear. Can hear the switch go click but other than that, nothing.

A tech guy would probably check for continuity through the steam pump windings, and voltage to and from the pump as a next point.
    I expect the pump won't fire if the steam thermoblock isn't up to temp (but pretty sure the control lights flash if there is a thermoblock not heating).
    There is a triac on the control board that switches the pumps neutral. It's easy to pick by following the wires. Can be measured with a multimeter (by a tech)

....Just realised the old girl is actually an EM6910....whoops!

I am in the same boat, EM6910. You can hear the switch click, but no action from the pump. I think it is the switch..

Quotes from two repairers in Bris ~$150, or around $200 to fix

I purchased the machine a year back for $150, so I think its time to move on in my case.

Is there any market for machines with dead switches? What about parting out the handles etc?

6910s are regularly repaired so spare parts are both readily available and desired. 6900s aren't worth the bother but 6910s usually are.
    pandahill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    6910s are regularly repaired so spare parts are both readily available and desired. 6900s aren't worth the bother but 6910s usually are.

If I can repair the old girl, cost effectively, I'm in for sure!!