Thread: BES878 - Breville "the Barista Pro" Owners Thread

BES878 - Breville "the Barista Pro" Owners Thread

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just bought one of these, and seeing there isn't an owner's thread, thought I'd start one to share experiences.

Also first time for me on the forums - go easy!

Possibly is an iteration of the BES870, but it's new to the market with a (reported) new innovative feature called ThermoJet® delivering a '3 seconds start up with ThermoJet® heating system'.

This is the link to the Breville BES878 "the Barista Pro" webpage.

Here are the specs:

• Accessories: Single & Dual Wall (1 & 2 Cup) Filter Baskets The Razor™ Precision Dose Trimming Tool 480 ml Stainless Steel Milk Jug Cleaning Kit Water Filter
    • Capacity: 2 L Water Tank 250 g Bean Hopper
    • Construction Materials: Brushed Stainless Steel
    • Dimensions: 35.4 x 41 x 40.6 cm 9.08 kg
    • Power: 1680 Watts
    • Settings: Adjustable Grind Control Intuitive LCD Interface 1 & 2 Cup Volumetric Control
    • Voltage: 220-240 Volts
    • Warranty: 2 Year Repair

I'll refrain from posting my experiences until I've tried a couple of beans, grinds, and learnings, etc - only had it one day thus far.

Oh - I paid $639 at Bing Lee via ebay using the 20% off ebay sale coupon.

Cheers!

Looks like a decent little all-in-one... any reason why you didn’t get the Dual Boiler (other than the extra $200+ w/ grinder)

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by shauno View Post
    Looks like a decent little all-in-one... any reason why you didn’t get the Dual Boiler (other than the extra $200+ w/ grinder)
    Couple of reasons - WAF on the real estate required for a coffee machine + grinder, and as you say it would have been another $2-300 more (just moved - feeling a bit skint...), I also like the idea of not having to turn on and warm up a machine for a while (will test this though), don't need to make more than one/two at a time and don't need to parallel milk/coffee (and don't drink more than 3 shots a day if at home, less so if heading into the city). I was heading for the 870 then saw this and thought, why not, which could be a risk but it seems the 870 + Breville heritage are ok for a home machine - they seem to be learning from the past.

Right now I'm definitely still in the learning phase of the machine, plus have not had a chance to get some good fresh beans!

Breville BES878 "the Barista Pro" Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyntee View Post
    I'll refrain from posting my experiences until I've tried a couple of beans, grinds, and learnings, etc - only had it one day thus far.
    Switched the thread title to align with what seems to be the official taxonomy....

Test 1: Vitoria from local IGA, probably been there a while...
    • Grind: Various from 15 all the way down to 1...
    • Tamp: Within the 15-20Kgs as prescribed, used 'Razor'
    • Dose: 11 secs in double hopper, 7 in single
    • Pre-infustion: Default 3 seconds
    • Extraction: Default
    • Portafilter: Tried all, single and dual wall, single/double

• Outcome: Always under extracted, first pour always less than 6 seconds, grinds damp/wet, puck sticks to head on smaller grind, hardly any creama
    • Taste: Let's not go there.
    • Feeling: Deflated and disappointed, but probably as expected.

Test 2: Chagas Priest, roasted within 2 weeks, from local cafe. Spoke to the barista and he said he had the same machine. His recommendation was: 1. Don't use single shot filters - use double even for single shot, just make it shorter time, increase pre-infusion to 15secs and (I think he said so pinch of salt) extraction to 25secs, grind to 22.

• Grind: 12
    • Tamp: Within the 15-20Kgs as prescribed, no need for Razor - good amount
    • Dose: 11 secs in double hopper
    • Pre-infustion: 10 seconds
    • Extraction: 15 seconds
    • Portafilter: Double shot single wall

• Outcome: Good extraction but room for improvement, first pour about 9 (not sure why given settings will test and edit this as I go) seconds, grinds a little damp def not dry, good creama
    • Taste: Much improved, smooth, very drinkable, little weak perhaps (NB with milk, latte)
    • Feeling: Much happier, want another.

Test 3: Chagas Priest, roasted within 2 weeks, from local cafe.

• Grind: 11
    • Tamp: Within the 15-20Kgs as prescribed, no need for Razor - good amount
    • Dose: 12.5 secs in double hopper
    • Pre-infustion: Was set to 10 secs but seemed to only be 6...
    • Extraction: 10 seconds (again, seems to be misaligned with the custom settings)
    • Portafilter: Double shot single wall

• Outcome: Good extraction best so far, first pour after about 6 seconds, puck only slightly moist but good shape and form, did stick to hopper but easy to remove, excellent creama, shot possibly a little small. Need to work out why everything was done after 16 seconds.
    • Taste: Awesome, sweet and smooth, good bouquet, good strength, very very drinkable
    • Feeling: Chuffed

Sounds like you’re getting there... it’s fun to play around with, unfortunately a limited tasting experience unless you want to get wired! (Or get some good decaf beans)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyntee View Post
    Spoke to the barista and he said he had the same machine.
    What are the odds of that?

Quote Originally Posted by shauno View Post
    Sounds like you’re getting there... it’s fun to play around with, unfortunately a limited tasting experience unless you want to get wired! (Or get some good decaf beans)
    I guess that's part of the game... I can't drink coffee after 2pm or I stay away too late.... and 2 cups a day is sufficient!

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    What are the odds of that?
    I know... I was like.. the Barista Pro, the new one? yup apparently so.....

Thanks Jimmyntee for the test runs and the thread information. I have been reading this this website on an off for a year or so, but just finally joined! Good to know there's a few people out there with this machine as well.

We've just got this machine after our BES870 failed after 5 years (Wasn't getting any pressure through the group head) and was thankfully covered under product care, so we decided to upgrade for a few extra dollars!
    I am liking the ability to customise settings quite a bit compared to the BES870 and provides a nice challenge each day to get better with each pour. I feel that we reached our limit with the BES870, but was still a very good machine for the price, and this feels like a comfortable step up. We also used the Dual Boiler for a couple of weeks and really enjoyed that, but didn't want to lash out for that and a grinder as well.

Currently we are using a locally roasted coffee, but normally use Republica beans and have always liked the result from this even though it's a supermarket bean that was probably roasted months and months ago.... anyway, would be good to discuss other peoples experiences with this machine.

Happy coffee drinking!

Quote Originally Posted by ALICESPRINGS View Post
    Currently we are using a locally roasted coffee, but normally use Republica beans and have always liked the result from this even though it's a supermarket bean that was probably roasted months and months ago.... anyway, would be good to discuss other peoples experiences with this machine.
    Hi - thanks, what settings did you land on?

I finally settled on 13 second grind with locally roasted beans with the above custom pre-infusion and extraction totalling about 23 seconds.

I got given a bag of supermarket Lavazza Espresso, had some concerns but tbh, surprised by the outcome. I just dialled the grind finer to 10 and increased the dose to 13.5 seconds, again resulting in a 23 second pour. Good creama, robust taste (not comparable but not bad also). Puck still seems to stick to the roof of the hopper.

Will keep reining - would like to get the pour a little slower!

I recently bought this machine from The Good Guys, with the Mothers Day special of 2KG Beans from Pablo & Rusty's, Porter St Blend. I have the machine set to the following specs,

I always use 2 shots
    Grind = 9
    Grind time = 15.5 Seconds NOTE: I take the handle out when it reaches 5.5 secs and gently push down the grind to stop it overflowing and wasting coffee, then put it back in for the last 5.5 secs. You have 10 seconds to do this before the timer resets.
    Brew/Pour Time = Usually 24-26 seconds
    Pre Infusion = about 5 seconds
    Tamp = fairly firm, but not too hard

Result is great. I get a good coffee, lots of crema, full bodied and full flavour. Puck is nearly dry and firm when tapping out. Not soggy, loose or muddy. Can be picked up without breaking apart.
    Overall I am VERY happy with this machine, which I got to replace a Barista 870 which failed after many years, tons of use and 2 repairs. Would recommend it.
    It took a few experiments to get the settings right, but once I did, I was happy.
    Have tried many different types of coffee beans and it gives consistent results on the same settings.

Just got one of these. Still figuring out how to pull a good shot but it's getting better.

Also just picked up one of these, and so far am very impressed! I can endorse Aquila's settings above as a starting point - they deliver a good shot.