• 1 Post By deegee
  • 2 Post By Beanherebefore
  • 1 Post By Beanherebefore

Thread: Gaggia Classic electronic component testing query

Gaggia Classic electronic component testing query

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Condensed version:
    I have a multi meter, how best should I go about testing the internal components for failure? Voltage values whilst itís on or resistance values whilst itís off? Iíd need values for whichever is best.

Longer:
    My gaggia classic has died. I got it second hand a number of years ago. I have descaled and cleaned it with puly baby and puly cafť regularly. I have the rancilio steam wand mod.

A couple of weeks ago it started making noises after heating up. The noise stopped after letting out some steam. This was an intermittent issue.
    Just before packing up it began to deliver very hot steam, like it wasnít stopping heating once up to temperature.

On its final working use, I was intending to use it steam milk for kids hot chocolate. Power light on and steam switch on. Machine got hot. Copious steam when wand was used.
    I then used the brew switch and all the lights went off. Turning the brew switch off made the power light come back on again.

Once the machine had cooled down none of the lights come on at all.

I have since removed, cleaned and replaced the front switches (very mucky but no change to the function)
    So now Iím onto using the multi meter to test the components.

What values should I be expecting when itís on or should I be measuring resistances whilst itís off?

Many thanks,
    Ben.

Probably worth replacing one or more thermostats that may have packed it in.
    They're pretty cheap to replace and Site Sponsor Di Bartoli normally has them in stock...
    Coffee Parts would also be worth a try.

Mal.

I agree with Mal, it seems likely that one of the thermostats has failed, causing the machine to overheat.
    However, if no lights come on now, it may have blown the thermal fuse too.
    Question - does the machine still heat up without lights on ?? .
    Dimal likes this.

The machine does not heat up at all. I’ve tested the thermal fuse for continuity and it’s dead. I will order some replacement thermostats, a thermal fuse and get some thermal paste from jaycar. I’ll post back when I’ve completed the job in a week or so...
    thanks for your help so far, I never knew there was even a thermal fuse til today.
    Ben.
    Dimal and deegee like this.

Thermal fuse and both ‘stats replaced today. All working fine, no super-aggressive steam production like it was before it died. I didn’t have any thermal conductive paste to seat the thermostats (jaycar was sold out) but I’ll get some and refit the thermostats as soon as I can.
    Thanks again guys.
    Ben.
    Dimal likes this.

Great news Ben...

Mal.

Good job!!