Thread: Breville barista express - how much coffee for a double shot?

Breville barista express - how much coffee for a double shot?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys, bought a barista express recently while I save up for my next real espresso machine .... having trouble pulling a decent shot, thins out way too early and never tastes good. If I go coarser wuth the grind it pours out to fast and too quick.... I always aim for 40mls in 30 secs.

What dose should I be using with these small domestic double baskets? 16gms? 17gms? 18gms?

Thanks for any help before I throw it through a window.

What beans are you using? You must use freshly roasted beans not supermarket beans. Around 18 grams is the optimum dose for the BE. And you should be grinding finer, not coarser if the flow is to fast, but this will make little difference if you're using stale beans.

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    What beans are you using? You must use freshly roasted beans not supermarket beans. Around 18 grams is the optimum dose for the BE. And you should be grinding finer, not coarser if the flow is to fast, but this will make little difference if you're using stale beans.
    Freshly roasted specialty coffee beans, $50 a bag.
    Finer just chokes it more, that's what I was trying to get at. Starts running at 10 secs and then goes wispy at 20 secs... last 10 secs of extraction are not good and I thought this might be why is not tasting great?
    Im used to working on commercial machines.
    Thanks

You've got to weigh the beans, so single dosing is a must and see if that improves anything. This is better than filling the hopper and the beans heating up and going stale quicker, also I don't think the dispenser is very accurate. Mine always overdosed even on the minimum setting, so it was necessary to single dose and then started getting good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam76 View Post
    Finer just chokes it more, that's what I was trying to get at. Starts running at 10 secs and then goes wispy at 20 secs... last 10 secs of extraction are not good and I thought this might be why is not tasting great?
    I've only used a BES870 for a couple of weeks when fixing it up for a friend, but in my experience it struggled to grind fine enough for espresso, which meant compensating by overdosing to slow the flow rate down. What you're describing sounds like a combination of too much coffee not ground fine enough. I had to recalibrate their grinder because setting 1 just wasn't fine enough. After recalibrating setting 4 was producing a good shot with 16g in the double basket to roughly 32g in the cup in about 25-27s from memory.

You say grinding finer chokes it more, this is good and means you can dose less and grind finer. What setting are you on now for the grinder? How many grams are you putting in the basket?

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    I've only used a BES870 for a couple of weeks when fixing it up for a friend, but in my experience it struggled to grind fine enough for espresso, which meant compensating by overdosing to slow the flow rate down. What you're describing sounds like a combination of too much coffee not ground fine enough. I had to recalibrate their grinder because setting 1 just wasn't fine enough. After recalibrating setting 4 was producing a good shot with 16g in the double basket to roughly 32g in the cup in about 25-27s from memory.

You say grinding finer chokes it more, this is good and means you can dose less and grind finer. What setting are you on now for the grinder? How many grams are you putting in the basket?
    Thanks, I'm on setting 4 on the grinder and weighing exactly 18g of ground coffee into double filter.

I read that 18g is what I should be doing... Should I go for less?

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    You've got to weigh the beans, so single dosing is a must and see if that improves anything. This is better than filling the hopper and the beans heating up and going stale quicker, also I don't think the dispenser is very accurate. Mine always overdosed even on the minimum setting, so it was necessary to single dose and then started getting good results.
    Thanks, I weigh the ground coffee, not the whole beans..... but I could definitely give that a go as well.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Adam76 View Post
    Thanks, I'm on setting 4 on the grinder and weighing exactly 18g of ground coffee into double filter.

I read that 18g is what I should be doing... Should I go for less?
    My advice would be try moving the dose lower and the grind finer, because what you're describing above sounds like grinding too coarse and putting too much in the basket. Try 16g and see how you go, don't think 16g is the absolute right answer though. If it's still running too fast at the end of the shot and you can grind a bit finer try and see (or coarser of required). Experiment with a few different settings and see what tastes best. I never tried single dosing, just removed the hopper and put the beans back in the bag, then purged a few grams the next time I used it.