• 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 2 Post By Paisley
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By tannyboy

Thread: Gaggia Baby 06 Resurrection

Gaggia Baby 06 Resurrection

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, long time lurker here. :-)

I have an old Gaggia New Baby 06 (2007) that has been in storage for a few years. My Son has recently gotten his Barista Certificate, so I thought I'd pull it out & get it up & running for him.
    When I tried it out; the pump ran, but there was no flow from either the grouphead or steam wand. The most obvious thing was a blockage of some sort, so I thought I'd have my first crack at pulling a Machine apart & cleaning it up.
    I started with the solenoid; it took a bit to get the nut off the top, but once I did it didn't seem too bad, save for a bit of calcification in one of the vents. I soaked it in descaling solution & then proceeded to pull the Boiler out.
    This was a different story; it was completely caked up inside & had about an inch of calcified crystals sitting in the bottom of it! I gave this a good soak as well & cleaned it up as best I could then put it all back together.

So now I can get water flow & steam from the steam wand, but there's still no flow from the grouphead. From other posts I've read on here, would I be right in thinking this could be an issue with the solenoid? I thought the solenoid cleaned up pretty well (both vents on the bottom were clear; the valve was clean & moved freely inside the shaft); also I put a multimeter over the coil & there was continuity there.

Could there be something else there that I missed?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
    Hi all, long time lurker here. :-) So now I can get water flow & steam from the steam wand, but there's still no flow from the grouphead. From other posts I've read on here, would I be right in thinking this could be an issue with the solenoid? I thought the solenoid cleaned up pretty well (both vents on the bottom were clear; the valve was clean & moved freely inside the shaft); also I put a multimeter over the coil & there was continuity there. Could there be something else there that I missed? Cheers.
    I could be the solenoid. If it is not operating, the water from the boiler will not be directed into the group head when the brew switch is turned on.

Alternatively, the grouphead might be blocked. It could be the passages in the upper section, or the area just above the shower screen.

You haven't mentioned any cleaning or descaling of the group head, so if this was not done, I suspect it's more likely to be the cause of the problem than the solenoid.

You might find this site helpful Reference Library

The forum is closed to discussion, but there's lots of useful info still available there.
    Paisley likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deegee View Post
    I could be the solenoid. If it is not operating, the water from the boiler will not be directed into the group head when the brew switch is turned on.

Alternatively, the grouphead might be blocked. It could be the passages in the upper section, or the area just above the shower screen.

You haven't mentioned any cleaning or descaling of the group head, so if this was not done, I suspect it's more likely to be the cause of the problem than the solenoid.

You might find this site helpful Reference Library

The forum is closed to discussion, but there's lots of useful info still available there.
    Thanks for the reply; and thanks also for that link, some handy info there.

Yes I did descale the grouphead & shower screen; I also soaked the grouphead/boiler base assembly in descaling solution for a couple of hours. Having said that, I just realised tonight that one thing I didn't check was whether the small passage from the solenoid to the grouphead was free of blockages or not. I'll do that tomorrow & see if I have any joy; otherwise it might be worth trying a new solenoid.
    Cheers!

I have a spare solenoid that you could have for a small fee if you want it. Just note that itís been modified to allow for full disassembly.
    Paisley likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    I have a spare solenoid that you could have for a small fee if you want it. Just note that it’s been modified to allow for full disassembly.
    Hi, thanks for the offer. However I've managed to get the machine going now; it ended up being a blockage in the base of the solenoid after all!
    There was obviously some gunk that was trapped in the vent that leads from the tiny centre hole inside to the water inlet hole. It escaped me the first time I cleaned it, as I used a syringe to flush water through the centre hole to test for blockages; the gunk had dislodged from the centre hole, but must have remained in the vent. It wasn't until I tried flushing water in the other direction (from the inlet hole) that it showed up; about 2 ml of water came out, then the thing blocked solid!
    I gave the solenoid base a bit more of a rigorous clean, & it's all working now.
    Dimal and deegee like this.

Yeah thatís pretty common - some scale gets dislodged from one spot and stuck in another, and itís usually the deepest corner of the solenoid valve. I used to fully disassemble them to clean them properly.
    Paisley likes this.

Ah looks like you've solved it - but yes - i was going t osay the solenoid.

I've in the process of cleaning up my baby at the moment (my spare machine).

After the deeper clean of the boiler; seems like im getting a bit more joy out of the machine.

If you haven't yet - try installing the silvia want on the Baby, some writeups say you can't. but I managed to get it done when I first received my machine. Might actually have an older write up on here somewhere
    Paisley likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tannyboy View Post
    If you haven't yet - try installing the silvia want on the Baby, some writeups say you can't. but I managed to get it done when I first received my machine. Might actually have an older write up on here somewhere
    Sounds interesting; funnily enough, I actually have a Silvia wand here that I found when I was pulling the Baby out of storage!
    Many years ago I had a Gaggia Classic & bought the wand for that. I can't remember the exact reason why (whether I had the wrong adaptor or not maybe?), but I could never get it installed properly; had a couple of goes at fitting it & eventually gave up.
    The Classic got moved on years ago; I obviously forgot I had the wand, otherwise I've have probably thrown it in with the Classic when I sold it (I had a laugh).