Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree24Likes
  • 3 Post By Bosco_Lever
  • 1 Post By woodhouse
  • 1 Post By rodeoclown
  • 2 Post By level3ninja
  • 2 Post By TampIt
  • 5 Post By Bosco_Lever
  • 3 Post By Dimal
  • 5 Post By coolie21
  • 2 Post By rodeoclown

Thread: Critque my equipment shortlist

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4

    Critque my equipment shortlist

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I’d like some feedback on the below options I am considering. I’ve done enough research to know that I need to stop!


    My requirements:


    • This is my first machine ( I can’t count the capsule machine), so something that is newbie friendly but will not disappoint as experience improves
    • Make cafe grade coffee! 2 coffees a day, almost always long blacks but I wouldn’t rule out the occasional need to steam milk
    • Decent quality equipment that can last up to 10 years without creating the urge upgrade too soon
    • Well supported and serviceable
    • And lastly, the grinder and machine won't be purchased at the same time, so the grinder must be able to grind for an aeropress



    All this with a budget of $2,000 (machine and seperate grinder, budget can push to $2,500 at a stretch.

    So, having read many posts on this forum, and understanding that the grinder is the most crucial component, what are your opinions on the below?


    1. Sette 270wi & Lelit PL41TEMD - ~$1,600
    2. Mahlkonig Vario & Lelit PL41TEMD - ~$1,700
    3. Sette 270wi & ECM Classika - ~$2700
    4. Mahlkonig Vario & ECM Classika - $3,000 


    I’m leaning towards option 2, (even though the ECM looks so nice), how much of a difference is there between a Lelit P14TEMD and ECM Classika, and is the additional $1,000 noticeable and justified?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    122
    Niche Zero
    Profitec Pro 500

    Budgets are made to be broken


    If not, and it needs to be new: Lelit Victoria or NS Oscar (HX)

    Best option is 2nd hand, could get a decent grinder and HX machine for $2500...

  3. #3
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,461
    No need for a Hx if you're only steaming milk occasionally. rodeoclown what's your location? Seeing them in the flesh and having a play with them yourself is a good idea before laying out this much cash. Nothing wrong with second hand either.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4
    I’m Sydney based. I am planning to drop into one of the site sponsors very soon but wanted a personal short list before going in

  5. #5
    Member LauriG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Cairns, FNQ
    Posts
    68
    4. Mahlkonig Vario & ECM Classika - $3,000
    Or
    2. Mahlkonig Vario & Lelit PL41TEMD - ~$1,700

    Yes, the ECM Classica looks nice!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    372
    Spend you money on a great grinder and see whatís left for the shiny box. I had a Nuova Simonelli Oscar 2, Rocket Mozzafiato R and a DiBartoli Lumina (ECM Mechenika) the more expensive machine as nicer to use and look nicer but arenít twice as good.
    A great grinder will make sure your off the a good start of producing the maximum the beans can give you.
    hope that makes sense.
    If I had $2.5k to spend, Niche zero and second hand HX (I mainly make 1-4 milk based drinks ina go) with the $1.2-1.3k remaining

    if you like the Niche grinder there is one for sale
    https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-ha...o-grinder.html

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bosco_Lever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    441
    Spend most of your money on a good machine so you will not want to upgrade it for quite a few years.
    Buy a second hand grinder, there are plenty about , with some great bargains to be had. You will upgrade your grinder in the future, and there will be plenty of new models out that are more efficient and user friendly than current ones. Trick is, you have to have quite a bit of experience under your belt to get your coffee making technique perfect. Once that happens you can work out the type of grinder that suits you.
    Some people prefer to single dose straight into the grinder, rather than having a hopper full of beans. There are many reasons for this ( I do this as I have 3-4 SO's to choose from at any time, and am constantly coming up with different blends and ratios) and each person develops their own work routine. Your technique will also change as your experience and confidence grows.
    Spending $1000 on a grinder at this stage of your journey is not recommended as you may end up hating it and selling it.
    Some people grind into the basket while others grind into a cup, weigh, WDT and then tip into the basket and tamp.
    I have had the same grinder for 7 years and the only reason for my upcoming upgrade is that there is finally a grinder that suits my household and will make the process simpler for everyone. New grinders now offer advantages such as grinding by weight (not time), minimal grind retention and minimal mess.
    Do not get sucked into the Conical vs flat burr discussion......................
    Dimal, Yelta and CafeLotta like this.

  8. #8
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,769
    Love your thinking B_L...

    Mal.

  9. #9
    Senior Member woodhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    297
    if you’re getting the grinder first, the niche will be excellent. haven’t tried it for coarser settings like pour over but i’ve read that it’s great. it will work great for aeropress. hell it’ll probably hold you over long enough that you’ll end up waiting longer to save for a machine.
    Dimal likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member CafeLotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Aust.
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by rodeoclown View Post
    I’m leaning towards option 2, (even though the ECM looks so nice), how much of a difference is there between a Lelit P14TEMD and ECM Classika, and is the additional $1,000 noticeable and justified?
    With the requirements you've listed, option 3 seems like a really good fit for you. ECM build quality is amongst the best and you probably won't be upgrading anytime soon if you end up buying it. All comes down to budget I suppose.

    Niche Zero is very popular at the moment due to it's next to no grind retention and ease of single dosing if that's what you're after. Here's some more user reviews that provide additional observations -

    https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/436...-zero-grinder/

    There is a number of reviews here on CS for the Baratza Sette 270Wi including this one -

    https://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/...tte-270wi.html

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    Niche Zero is very popular at the moment due to it's next to no grind retention and ease of single dosing if that's what you're after. Here's some more user reviews that provide additional observations -
    Indeed it is...sure makes decision making difficult. Spend the money on a Nice Zero now and wait a while to save for a machine, or buy a great machine and a second hand grinder. Decisions, decisions.
    Simplyhuman likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,461
    If you want to test run a Niche I'm in West Hoxton. I'm aware of one other Sydney based CSer with a Niche, he lives a bit closer to the city.

    I also have a Eureka Atom on the bench (currently for sale) that you're welcome to try as well.
    Dimal and CafeLotta like this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rockingham W.A.
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco_Lever View Post
    Spend most of your money on a good machine so you will not want to upgrade it for quite a few years.
    Buy a second hand grinder, there are plenty about , with some great bargains to be had. You will upgrade your grinder in the future, and there will be plenty of new models out that are more efficient and user friendly than current ones. Trick is, you have to have quite a bit of experience under your belt to get your coffee making technique perfect. Once that happens you can work out the type of grinder that suits you.
    Some people prefer to single dose straight into the grinder, rather than having a hopper full of beans. There are many reasons for this ( I do this as I have 3-4 SO's to choose from at any time, and am constantly coming up with different blends and ratios) and each person develops their own work routine. Your technique will also change as your experience and confidence grows.
    Spending $1000 on a grinder at this stage of your journey is not recommended as you may end up hating it and selling it.
    Some people grind into the basket while others grind into a cup, weigh, WDT and then tip into the basket and tamp.
    I have had the same grinder for 7 years and the only reason for my upcoming upgrade is that there is finally a grinder that suits my household and will make the process simpler for everyone. New grinders now offer advantages such as grinding by weight (not time), minimal grind retention and minimal mess.
    Do not get sucked into the Conical vs flat burr discussion......................
    G'day Bosco_Lever

    I could not disagree more. The grinder is way important as it is earlier in the coffee making chain. A poor grinder means the resulting cuppa is not able to be saved regardless of machine tech. Also, Machines like the Slayer and the Decent are rapidly changing the whole thinking behind espresso machines, so this is a good time to hold off until that type of toy, er, I mean machine, gets more competition and gets cheaper. IMO, grinders have pretty well bottomed out in terms of quality and value.

    Yep, I am biased - I have three Mahlkonig Varios. One has the $40 steel burrs option, which will make the best aeropress (modified stirrer plunger / Rommelsbacher et al) / worst espresso. The other two have (very) long lasting ceramic burrs for Turkish espresso use - and the oldest one has now done well over 300Kg with no discernible wear on anything, burrs included.

    The "Do not get sucked into the Conical vs flat burr discussion" is an attempt to avoid the observable fact that all conicals have a "twin peak" particle spread with too many fines to do a "VST espresso" (i.e. finer grind / higher flow rate / higher extraction ratio) without going bitter too early. That is why good flat burr grinders with low retention and even particle spread like the Vario / EK43 (and its ancestors, which I know from the mid '80's) produce more clarity and higher extraction ratios than any conical. Ditto Ditting augers.

    Machines - dime a dozen IMO, and even the so called "long lasting" espresso machines needs servicing and spares far too often in most environments. As a previous manual lever owner (Electra "eagle") and also many other machines including a Miss S and a GS3 my machine take is pretty simple. Today I would suggest the OP either buys a low end "true espresso machine", an Olympia Cremina (best manual lever I know of, and I spent 18 months with a friend's one once) or get a Decent DE1 and have the kind of control that no other current machine can deliver. My DE1Pro has not had any issue in the last 6 months (i.e. too early for any long term reliability comment) but it keeps itself cleaner than any other past machine and is also unique in that my rainwater still tastes the same whether it has gone through the DE1 or not.

    Message for the OP: Try comparing "in and out" water with a good original source and you will be amazed how much boiler taint is out there. Every future cuppa will start with that taint... (shudder).

    Just my 2 cents worth.

    Enjoy your preferred style of cuppa - that is the critical factor.

    TampIt
    level3ninja and SanderP like this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member CafeLotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Aust.
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    That is why good flat burr grinders with low retention and even particle spread like the Vario / EK43 (and its ancestors, which I know from the mid '80's) produce more clarity and higher extraction ratios than any conical.
    Have you had anything to do with the Eureka Mignon Specialita? Seems to get a good rap as a very low retention flat burr grinder (1 gram or less).

    https://www.eureka.co.it/en/catalogo...aneo/1/20.aspx

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_eWwZbEhrI
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:46 AM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Bosco_Lever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    G'day Bosco_Lever

    I could not disagree more. The grinder is way important as it is earlier in the coffee making chain. A poor grinder means the resulting cuppa is not able to be saved regardless of machine tech. Also, Machines like the Slayer and the Decent are rapidly changing the whole thinking behind espresso machines, so this is a good time to hold off until that type of toy, er, I mean machine, gets more competition and gets cheaper. IMO, grinders have pretty well bottomed out in terms of quality and value.

    Yep, I am biased - I have three Mahlkonig Varios. One has the $40 steel burrs option, which will make the best aeropress (modified stirrer plunger / Rommelsbacher et al) / worst espresso. The other two have (very) long lasting ceramic burrs for Turkish espresso use - and the oldest one has now done well over 300Kg with no discernible wear on anything, burrs included.

    The "Do not get sucked into the Conical vs flat burr discussion" is an attempt to avoid the observable fact that all conicals have a "twin peak" particle spread with too many fines to do a "VST espresso" (i.e. finer grind / higher flow rate / higher extraction ratio) without going bitter too early. That is why good flat burr grinders with low retention and even particle spread like the Vario / EK43 (and its ancestors, which I know from the mid '80's) produce more clarity and higher extraction ratios than any conical. Ditto Ditting augers.

    Machines - dime a dozen IMO, and even the so called "long lasting" espresso machines needs servicing and spares far too often in most environments. As a previous manual lever owner (Electra "eagle") and also many other machines including a Miss S and a GS3 my machine take is pretty simple. Today I would suggest the OP either buys a low end "true espresso machine", an Olympia Cremina (best manual lever I know of, and I spent 18 months with a friend's one once) or get a Decent DE1 and have the kind of control that no other current machine can deliver. My DE1Pro has not had any issue in the last 6 months (i.e. too early for any long term reliability comment) but it keeps itself cleaner than any other past machine and is also unique in that my rainwater still tastes the same whether it has gone through the DE1 or not.

    Message for the OP: Try comparing "in and out" water with a good original source and you will be amazed how much boiler taint is out there. Every future cuppa will start with that taint... (shudder).

    Just my 2 cents worth.

    Enjoy your preferred style of cuppa - that is the critical factor.

    TampIt
    Thank you for your opinion, you are entitled to it in the same way that everyone else is entitled to theirs.
    I disagree with your opinion. I do not discourage you from making it in any shape or form, as rigorous debate usually prompts a wealth of advice.
    Your post is reminiscent of the majority of what you post on this forum. The same old referral to the same old Vario grinders, and the same old machines. You like light roasted coffee from a particular source and you use single baskets to make a shot etc, etc, etc. The only new thing is your current love with the DE machine. There is nothing wrong with this view or your opinion, and some will agree as their taste is similar to yours. Everyone is different and that is what makes the world so interesting.
    How about we qualify what the OP is seeking? It is their first machine, they are new to coffee and as yet relatively inexperienced in using a machine, grinder and the whole routine to make coffee. Your opinions tend to be skewed to your preferences, but what you like is not necessarily what the majority of people like. Also, what you recommend may only suit a minority. Hence it is always good to consider as many opinions and options as possible
    The OP drinks long blacks. They do not state any other preference. Do they prefer light, fruity highly acidic coffees or a balanced well rounded espresso? What are the preferences of coffee that their partner (if they currently have one) has? The requirement to steam milk shows that one type of coffee will not always be the goal. Light roasted coffees do not make pleasant milk based drinks.
    Why complicate and confuse the matter by quoting completely unrealistic pieces of equipment? Slayer? GS3? Decent? Electra Eagle? The OP wants the same thing that most people in their position seek. A reliable machine that will last a while, and be fun to start their coffee journey on. Easy to maintain and use. $2k is a realistic budget.

    As to grinders.
    You brought up the conical vs flat, I said to stay away from it. Here is my take on the debate.
    Buy a grinder that is easy to use and clean. Try and get one with minimal grind retention. I don't care how good a grinder is supposed to be, if it has high grinds retention it will pose a huge problem to a novice user. The same goes for a dirty grinder. Regular cleaning (removal of top burr and a thorough clean of every nook and cranny) is essential.
    Grinders have not changed much until recently, they were either designed for low use (home) or cafe use (light, med, heavy). Grinders such as the Kony and Robur have solid reputations in high traffic areas, and naturally became the holy grail for home users. Personally I find them unsuitable for my home use, regardless of any proven or perceived improvement in the cup. I have 3 other members in my household who use my equipment, so ease of use is paramount. I know they would hate to use a large conical.
    I (and many others that I know of) started off with a Gino Rossi grinder, (purchased second hand in the $250-400) bracket. Great value long lasting cafe grinder. If you cannot make a decent espresso with this grinder, then you need retraining. There is an abundance of second hand grinders on the market, so a top notch grinder to learn on for a small outlay is easily achieved. Once technique is honed and your own personal idiosyncrasies worked out, you can then upgrade to a grinder more suitable to your workflow. Your original one can be kept for filter/pourover duties.

    Tampit, your comment on grinders having bottomed is something I strongly disagree with. Recently we have had a huge improvement in grinder quality. Starting from hand held units to large conicals, the improvements keep coming. The HG, Versalab, Monolith, Niche and Etzmax to name a few, represent many new advances in this arena. Better built and smaller grinders for the home user and light cafe are experiencing a surge in popularity, and their are many on the drawing board still to come.
    Have a look at the Etzmax grinder as an example. Small footprint, grind by weight, almost zero retention, non messy and best of all, quick and easy to clean. An absolute dream piece of equipment. A large price tag, but it will not be long before others copy the concept.

    Simplicity is the key to being able to make good espresso. A good machine and grinder is the start. Grinders grind coffee. Parts are easy to change, hence why so many old units are still in use. The satisfaction of using a nice machine at the start of your journey will contribute to your enjoyment of the experience, hence my advice. The grinder will be upgraded sooner or later, speak to many on this forum and they will concur. Therefore, try to minimize the impact by buying a 2nd hand unit at the beginning.
    Last edited by Bosco_Lever; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:26 PM.
    Dimal, kofekitt, Yelta and 2 others like this.

  16. #16
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,769
    Agree once again with your viewpoint B_L...

    If the Niche or something similar was around many years ago when I bought our current grinder, I dare say that is where our money would have gone. Decisions though, should always be based on what suits your requirements in the here and now, and right now, we are surrounded by a wonderful array of very attractive, high quality home grinders.

    Grinders are still the key piece of equipment they always have been and should not be skimped on...

    Mal.
    Bosco_Lever, coolie21 and LauriG like this.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco_Lever View Post
    How about we qualify what the OP is seeking? It is their first machine, they are new to coffee and as yet relatively inexperienced in using a machine, grinder and the whole routine to make coffee.
    This. Its easy to get away from the point, but the fact is the OP has 2K and everything to learn. A decent 2nd hand grinder could be had for not much money, leaving plenty for a solid new machine. Many love the Breville DB here and it is a great starter machine (and got me going) but not in my view a long term prospect unless you are an appliance whisperer. There are plenty of options however. As an example in the last 6 months I picked up a one year old Compak K3 for $250 and an Expobar Office Control for $1K, as a second kit. The Expobar blows away my Profitek 700 in steam power. The Compak has nothing complicated to go wrong. The point is, its very possible to make a start within the OPs limits without getting completely carried away. By all means aspire to esoteric kit, but first figure out if you actually enjoy using an espresso machine (and maintaining it) before you remortgage the house!

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    4
    Crikey, what have I started!?

    Thank you for your replies. I'm currently deciding between a Profitec Pro 300 or a Profitec Pro 500 to accompany my Niche Zero

    The 300 seems to tick most boxes, the 500 definitely does and has great looks to match.
    Dimal and gordons like this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •