Thread: BES870 - Porter St (from Pablo and Rusty)

Question BES870 - Porter St (from Pablo and Rusty)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Gang,

I've been reading these forums quite a bit trying to not only master the art of my morning fix but also to optimise my process to not stuff around.

I've got an BES870 which has just come back from repair after a bad bean blew the grinding gears (but to Breville's credit, they repaired it under warranty!)

Now, when I got my machine from Myer it came with free bean offer through Pablo and Rusty's.

Reading online, tells me a couple of things
    * don't trust the pressure gauge to be 100% accurate
    * set my grind to about "8"
    * set my dose to about 1pm
    * tamp lightly but not crazy

when I do this, the guage is about the 3/4 mark almost to the over extraction range but still is great.

My question now is, because I've burnt a fair bit of bean trying to get this right and to taste great, when I remove the group head, it's not a puck like it was when I was using Grinders that I got when I first bought the machine. (Funnily enough it was the grinders coffee that ate my grinder). When I remove the group head, in the filter basket it's still very "sludgy".

Is the sludgy remains good/bad?
    Have I missed something stupidly fundamental that before you reply you're laughing excessively whilst trying to type your reply between tears of laughter? (psst: it's okay if you are!)
    Or do I need to tweak something?

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by JeneralPain View Post
    My question now is, because I've burnt a fair bit of bean trying to get this right and to taste great
    I don't understand what you mean here

When I remove the group head, in the filter basket it's still very "sludgy".

Is the sludgy remains good/bad?

Thx
    Potentially neither. If anything a slightly wet puck is better than a really dry puck as it means youíre not over dosing. The most important thing is this-

It still tastes great.

Yeah it’s been very sludgy afterward.

as for the “burnt the coffee” as in, wasted beans trying to get the grind/dose/extraction right.

I assume you're using the single wall double basket? How many grams are you dosing?

Correct, the Double basket.

the dose is set to 12 on the dial (ie: it’s pointing at midday).

Correct, the Double basket.

the dose is set to 12 on the dial (ie: itís pointing at midday).
    I have the same machine, I learnt that all grinders are different, all beans require a different setting, as the bean ages you need to grind finer to maintain the pressure in the sweet spot.

I bought an ebay scale that measures 0.01 of a gram (less than $30) and weigh my shots to roughly 18grams. It makes things easier basically locking one variable.

Quote Originally Posted by lestone View Post
    I have the same machine, I learnt that all grinders are different, all beans require a different setting, as the bean ages you need to grind finer to maintain the pressure in the sweet spot.

I bought an ebay scale that measures 0.01 of a gram (less than $30) and weigh my shots to roughly 18grams. It makes things easier basically locking one variable.
    So, do you "pre-weigh" before adding the beans to the hopper?

In that, you weigh, then add to the hopper for the grinder to "grind just that amount"?

In that, you weigh, then add to the hopper for the grinder to "grind just that amount"?
    Yeh mate thats what i do, i weigh out a few in advance, then dump them in when i want a coffee.

FYI this is called "single dosing." Whether you weigh before or after grinding the important amount is what's in the basket (ground coffee weight). Some grinders will give you an inconsistent amount out every time even if you put the same amount in (sometimes a bit will get held back, other times that held back bit will come out with the next batch).