Thread: EM6910 steam pump on as soon as connected to mains power (triac replacement?)

EM6910 steam pump on as soon as connected to mains power (triac replacement?)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all. I did a collar replacement on my current main EM6910 last week (second or third time I've done it for this particular unit). After reassembling everything I did the usual power check before putting all the body screws etc back in place, only to be greeted by the steam pump starting as soon as I switched the mains power on (machine power still off)...

Naturally I jumped straight on coffeesnobs and found a few similar posts which seem to point towards a faulty steam-pump TRIAC. The posts I've read seem to blame this on water damage to the relevant TRIAC switch, and I even read that someone fixed the same issue by placing a heat-lamp over their control-board for half an hour. I couldn't see any evidence of water damage and am sure I didn't spill any water in the process of collar replacement, see pics below. Even so, I figured a bit of a blow-dry couldn't hurt and was surprised to find after 5 mins under the hairdryer the steam-pump no longer came on of its own accord. I then left the unit for half an hour and checked again, but problem had returned. So now I'm a bit suspect, is it normal for the TRIACs to be heat sensitive, or does this sound like it could be a different issue...?

https://imgur.com/a/P0VY1KO
    https://imgur.com/a/SIuZD7u

Change the triac and see?
    Do you have another board to rob the triacs out of.. they are available, im sure you have seen that in other posts. Mouser, or somewhere

Hi Jackster. Yeah that's my current plan, have ordered a couple from RS Components, as despite having two other candidate part machines at hand it's not worth the hour+ of fiddling around to extract a used TRIAC compared to getting a new one for $1.50.

I was just concerned that this might not be the actual problem, given the apparent heat sensitivity. Will report back when done...