Thread: Bes920 and k3 set up help

Bes920 and k3 set up help

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys.

Just got my bes920 and Compak k3 touch today and was trying to set them up.

struggled with a few things:

when brewing the coffee couldnít get the pressure to get to 9bar. During the pre infusion was getting coffee coming out. Played with the grinder settings and also used the dual layer. Couldnít extract a nice long pour would have to cut it short as it was very watery towards the end.

Played with the grinder to make it finer and it helped but still had issues of a watery pour at the end but got pressure to 7bar. I have turned the grinder about 45 degrees and grind was a little clumpy but not to bad. Should I just keep going?

Also the 30sec pour from the bes920 seems very long perhaps itís just coming out too fast?

Also the k3 touch when set to manual on the grinder just keeps grinding even without the switch depressed by the portafilter?

Any my thoughts would be great

regards ben.

Yes you need to keep grinding finer to slow the shot down, you can stop using the double wall baskets, they're only going to hurt you in the long run. If clumping becomes an issue you may need to do something like WDT to break up the clumps prior to tamping.

By default the 920 is set to deliver a 30s shot in timed mode, you can reprogram that time or switch to volumetric programmed shots. The wateriness at the end of the shot is due to your grind being too coarse, fix that and this week become a lot better (you can fine tune more later if required). I would suggest sticking to manual mode (you start and stop the shot using the Manual button) until you get it dialled in properly then programming it.

Are you using a set of 0.1g scales to measure dose (ground coffee in) and yield (liquid coffee out)? If you need a starting point aim for 18g dose and 36g yield, then adjust your grind to make that take 27-30s.

As for the grinder, does it work normally in timed mode? I haven't heard of the issue you're having.

Hi Ben.

If you grind is getting clumpy and the flow is nearly right, you should only need to then make small adjustments like about one dot or less on the adjustment ring. I normally line up the dots with the vertical edge of the black plastic where it meets the alloy grinder body on the left side. (use it like a pointer). I actually use a Liquid Paper pen to place a white dot on the adjustment ring at the "pointer" once I have correct flow so I can easily fine tune as beans age. This can also vary one or two dots (or 3 occasionally) between bean batches or varieties.

Try to vary your dose also. If it's too low it can gush through. Initially aim for a dose that when tamped is just short of contacting the shower screen. Search on CS for "5 cent test". If you vary dose, you may need to adjust grind again to suit. Once you get the grind / dose right you should see around the 9 bar.

The Compak K3 Touch switch toggles back and forward. One way is Grind on demand so when you remove the portafilter it should stop. In the other position it's a timed grind once you push on the Silver "tongue". If you remove the portafilter it will still continue to grind for the set time. Maybe that's what's happening to you? You may need to adjust the timed grind duration if you intend to use it. The newer models with the timed grind function have the adjustment on the front whereas the older models had it under the base (real handy!).

If you don't have it here's the instruction manual - http://www.compakgrinders.com.au/doc...anced_M_EN.pdf
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:14 PM. Reason: Corrections.

Thanks guys.

The k3 switched to manual just keeps running without the silver tongue being touched. Strange. It’s a newer one as I literally bought it from jet black today. So dial is on the front.

The dose amount and yield amount I am not sure what these are I’m a bit green at this. I have scales and will try and get the dose amount coming out around that range. Didn’t know about the yield amount either. That’s something I will have a play with.

I will look up the5c test as well.

Seems like Ike a lot of coffee wasted to get it dialed in. at least my garden will be happy.

I'd call JetBlack about the grinder tomorrow, if there's something wrong with it they need to be the ones to sort it out. Could be as simple as explaining something to you over the phone.

Do your scales measure to 0.1g or only to 1g? If they only go to 1g you'll probably have trouble fine tuning the last 10-20%. You can do the 5c test if you want but your machine and the single wall double basket that comes with it are known to work well together with 18.0-20.0g of coffee. When running the shots manually, keep the dose the same every time and stop the shot when you'll hit the target yield (on my machine I press stop 2g before I want and it's usually right), don't stop it based on time you need to change the grind to change the time. By keeping the dose and yield consistent every time it will be much easier to get the right extraction because all you need to change is the grind setting.

Another thing to note, whenever you change the grind setting on the grinder always have it running while you're changing it. And remember after you change the grind setting there will still be a couple of grams of the old grind setting left in the grinder. E.g. of your shot is running at 24s, you adjust the grind a bit finer then make another shot it might come out at 26s, if you make another shot it might come out at 27s and each shot after that might be 27-28s. Because there was still some coffee left from the 24s grind setting it made the next shot or two slightly faster. So once you get close to the right time don't change the setting every shot, if it tastes good enough to drink just adjust it every 3 shots or so. The more times you do this you're brain will start to know how much to account for the previous setting. The other option is to discard a few grams of coffee every time you change the setting. That same amount of left over coffee will be there when you first use the grinder reach fine and will slightly affect the shot time as well (make it run a bit fast).

Also keep the level of the beans in the grinder hopper consistent while you're getting used to the grinder. Most grinders have invisible lines in the hopper that when the level of beans cross the line it will affect the grind size and therefore shot time without changing the grind setting. Start by assuming the lines are at 1/3 and 2/3 of the height of the hopper above the neck of the grinder, keep adding more beans so that the level status between those two lines. E.g. with the hopper 100% full you might get a shot that runs for 33s, with the hopper 75% full 33s, 50% full 31s, 25% full 29s. So if before it gets down to 33% you add more beans up to about 60% the only thing that should change the grind size is the grind setting.

I know it seems like wasting a lot of coffee, but as you get used to your grinder and your machine, and just to making espresso in general you won't go through quite as much when dialling in.

Quote Originally Posted by Costo View Post
    The k3 switched to manual just keeps running without the silver tongue being touched. Strange. It’s a newer one as I literally bought it from jet black today. So dial is on the front.
    Section 9.2 on Page 18 of the manual (Link in earlier post) shows that position "I" on the switch gives continuous grind and position "II" is the Timed grind for the K3 Touch. It appears that yours might be working correctly as per position "I" with continuous grind when switched to this position.

Section 9.3 shows the slight difference for the K3 Touch Advanced model for positiom M and T on the switch.

These videos might help explain the dialing in process -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwHdm5GtNHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57UqPDirHoU

This photo shows the black plastic vertical edge that serves as a "pointer" against the grind collar dots. Mark a reference position (liquid paper pen or tape and a pen) to help make fine tuning adjustments easier.

K3 pointer.jpg