Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By noidle22

Thread: Breville BES860 shutting down upon extraction

Breville BES860 shutting down upon extraction

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello folks.
    As the title says, I have a Breville BES860 that shuts down immediately after pressing either 1 or 2 cup extraction buttons. I am lucky to get a few drops of water come out.
    Steam and grinder work fine.

Any clues or fixes would be appreciated. Cheers 🙂

Define "shuts down". Doe the machine turn itself off or just return to the ready state?

If possible, take a video. A lot easier to judge that way.

It turns itself off.

I will swap some parts over from my BES870 to trouble shoot and see what failed. Hopefully I don't kill the 870 in the process ��

It sounds like it could be control board related, I don't know if the control boards are interchangeable. If you made a video like noidle22 suggested he'll likely be able to diagnose it, he's a repair tech.

I will take a video later today.
    When no water is in the tank, it runs longer if that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by AshMate View Post
    I will take a video later today.
    When no water is in the tank, it runs longer if that helps?
    Unsure why that would change the behavior, this machine has no water level sensing function. May be a coincidence.

I think the possibilities in your machine are a faulty two way solenoid or faulty circuit board. As the machine functions normally for steam operation (the thermocoil and pump work at least), the solenoid would seem more likely.

When the coffee function is used, the two way solenoid energises to close the relief to the drip tray. Once the shot has finished, the solenoid opens to release group head pressure.
    The three way solenoid remains un-energised during brewing, directing water to the group. When steaming, the three way solenoid energises to direct steam to the steam valve. The two way solenoid does not energise during steaming so if it had a problem, it would not be apparent here.

If the solenoid coil has shorted or is drawing too much current, the machine could shut down. If this isn't the case, there could just be a random fault on the circuit board.

Very difficult to diagnose further without getting inside the machine and performing some tests.
    AshMate likes this.

Thank you for the reply.
    The solenoids were my first thought. I was going to swap them over this weekend but didn't have time unfortunately. Busy busy.
    I will try to get onto it this week and if the problem persists, I will take a video and post it up. Cheers guys ��

Well I just swapped over solenoids from my BES870 and the old 860 worked as it should. Time to hunt down a new solenoid.