• 1 Post By Lyrebird
  • 3 Post By Dimal
  • 3 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By Stavros

Thread: Rancilio Audrey Makeover

Rancilio Audrey Makeover

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,

Earlier this year, I was poking around the shed, looking for a ‘project’ and spied ‘Audrey #3’ or ‘spare Audrey’ or ‘travel Audrey’. While she was in working condition, as a neglected second-hand purchase, she was a bit of an unknown inside, and could probably do with a strip and clean, and a few new seals etc. There was also, as with most Audreys, corrosion of the base and lower body, with peeling paint. I swear that I was just going to clean it up, but then decided to go the whole hog, getting her powder-coated, fitted an Auber PID kit, and some boiler insulation.

After stripping her down to the individual components, I cleaned all the brass and copper parts by boiling them in a citric acid solution, which dissolved the substantial deposits in the boiler and ports. There was also a lot of black gunge in the group head.

IMG_1939.JPG

Audrey was bead-blasted and powder-coated at a local company in Queanbeyan, who despite agreeing to do her in a bright orange, coated her in a red, as “that was what we had in the gun, and we didn’t have time to cleanup and change the powder today.” So she is now known as ‘Red Audrey’.

I got some 6mm silicone foam sheet, and insulated the boiler, and the top of the group head. I also put some 3mm cork gasket material between the boiler mount and frame, as I couldn’t see the point of bolting an insulated boiler to what is effectively a large aluminium heatsink. While she was in parts, all the seals, tubing, heating element, and the Ulca pump were replaced.

IMG_1996.JPG

The decision to PIDerise Audrey was a tricky one. For years I’ve been happy with the coffee the Audreys produce, and never understood the need for better temperature control. Then one month I changed from my usual darker roast beans from Alstonville, to a well-regarded, medium roast bean from Fyshwick. I knew it was very nice coffee, because I always have a couple when I’m over that way. But I struggled with these beans - I really had to work hard to get the best out of them, including a coarser grind and surfing the temperature, (something I normally don’t bother with). That convinced me to get a PID.

Anyway, Red Audrey is up and running and producing lovely shots again. She should be good for another twenty years, (or until they make coffee illegal). I’m still playing with the brew temperature setting, and my wife, (who has a better taste buds than me), is providing critical feedback.

IMG_2197.JPG

Cheers, Steve

PS. I didn't have any Rancilio decals, so used the next best Italian theme ones I had. Bene!
    Dimal, flynnaus, Javaphile and 7 others like this.

Great work Stavros!

Wonderful rebuild. Hopefully you get plenty of good coffee out of it now.

I feel a little nostalgia and sadness thinking about (my white) Audrey I got as a 21st birthday present many years ago. First coffee machine, but clueless me without a coffee grinder or fresh beans (and finances). It never really got a chance to live up to any its potential.

Hopefully you can post up some pictures soon of some tasty coffees from all your hard work.

Mmmm...
    Moto Laverda - Wonderful bikes...

The Audrey is pretty good too, of course.

Mal.

Looks fantastic in red and the Laverda stickers are nice way to highlight and pay tribute to a great brand. The Jota was dream bike for me at one stage, but unfortunately could never afford one. Do you have one in that workshop of your Steve?

My first espresso kit. Loved my Audrey.

Guys,

I love the look and sound of the Jota - what a classic. They were released when I was in my teens, and made a big impression. I would love to have one, but you know - too much $$$. And I would probably kill myself on it!

IMG_1994.JPG

I do however, still have my first bike, which I've had for 40 years. It's at the other end of the spectrum - a 1974 Yamaha DT250A trail bike. I gave it a makeover ten years ago, and thrashed it around the town leaving streams of two-stroke smoke behind me. The local dogs absolutely hate the RING-BING-DING-DING-RRRRRRRRRINGGGG noise when I fire it up.

Maybe one day, I'll get Audrey #2 professionally painted in the same colour as the Jota. Can you put a twist throttle on a coffee machine?

Cheers, Steve.
    Dimal, matth3wh and 338 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Can you put a twist throttle on a coffee machine?
    Yep.

My Izzo project has potentiometer control of pump flow / pressure. It would be easy to make it twist grip.
    Dimal likes this.

Very nice rebuild. Miss Audrey never looked better I bet, even in her prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    Yep.

My Izzo project has potentiometer control of pump flow / pressure. It would be easy to make it twist grip.
    Of course, you would need to incorporate the muffled roar of an accelerating Jota to complete the experience...

Mal.
    magnafunk, 338 and Lyrebird like this.

Java "Or buy a trombone " phile
    Dimal, level3ninja and 338 like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

"Hopefully you can post up some pictures soon of some tasty coffees from all your hard work."

As requested, link to a shot from a 21 gram basket. Not too bad for 6 week old beans.

Cheers, Steve
    level3ninja likes this.