Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By noidle22
  • 4 Post By Javaphile
  • 4 Post By level3ninja
  • 4 Post By Bazwp

Thread: Breville Dual Boiler BES920 & Eureka Mignon Specialita Grinder

Question Breville Dual Boiler BES920 & Eureka Mignon Specialita Grinder

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have Googled and Googled and have a basic understanding of the process for extracting a good coffe shot, but cant make it work with Breville Dual boiler and Eureka Grinder when using single wall portafilter basket.

If I use the double wall filter double shot basket I can get a reasonable 60ml shot in about 30 seconds using about 16grams of coffee, the machine will only hit about 7-8 bar at best but a reasonable result.

As soon as I use the Single wall Double filter basket with about 18g of coffee with a 30 second shot time I get 120ml of sour rubbish. I have greatly reduced the grind size with little change. The machine only gets to about 3-4 bar during the shot. Do I just keep going finer on the Grind ? Almost heading towards "0" on the grinding scale on the Grinder ?

I have ensured a nice flat even tamp etc but No success.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

What beans are you using? Do you know the roast date?

Once we have this information, we can decide if it's likely a grinder or machine issue after that.
    Dimal and level3ninja like this.

Hi and welcome Bazwp.

With your double wall--which induces an artificial crema-- you are waaaay over extracting.

Sixteen grams of ground coffee should give you about 30 grams/mls in the cup for a half-decent espresso. About 25 would be better.

With the single-wall, if 18 grams is producing a 120 ml gusher, then you must grind finer. What grinder are you using?

Tamping pressure also comes into it.

A good firm tamp, and be consistent with that irrespective of how coarse or fine you grind.

So....

Grind a consistent amount, say 18 grams.

Vary the grind --but never the tamp --to get your extraction in the high 20's seconds to very low 30's seconds.

Throw the double walled basket in the far back of your deepest, darkest drawer and never use it again.

Then buy some freshly roasted coffee and store it properly.

Java "Gotta have good beans to make good coffee!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bazwp View Post
    As soon as I use the Single wall Double filter basket with about 18g of coffee with a 30 second shot time I get 120ml of sour rubbish. I have greatly reduced the grind size with little change. The machine only gets to about 3-4 bar during the shot. Do I just keep going finer on the Grind ? Almost heading towards "0" on the grinding scale on the Grinder ?
    It sounds like you're almost there and you just need a couple of tweaks to get your over the line. Firstly you're beans need to be freshly roasted, once they're 6+ weeks after the roast date forget getting a good shot out of them. (Most people will tell you 3 weeks, I would tend to agree but you can usually still get something drinkable for a little while after that.) If the bag does not have a roast date but has an expiry date they are most likely already too old by the time they get to you.

Secondly, with regard to grinding finer, yes you do keep grinding finer if the shot is too fast. I haven't used a Specialita but if it's like my old Eureka Atom the 0 on the dial is just a reference point and the dial spins around multiple times before the adjustment bottoms out (never actually did bottom it out on the Atom).

So let us know what beans you're using, and keep grinding finer. You'll have liquid gold in no time!
    Brewster, Dimal, Javaphile and 1 others like this.

I think the last advice on the dial adjustment on the Grinder is likely the issue - I assumed "wrongly" the dial went from 0 - 5 in 360 degrees of turn - the reality is that I wound in in about 3 times around the dial to zero it.

So I think I start again on the coffee grind testing journey. Bought some beans today that have been roasted locally at Rush Coffee Bowral - roasting date of 19 August 2019 so should be in the window of freshness. I will try again and see how I go with some more tweaking of the grind.

Thanks for the advice - I will post back how I go.
    Brewster, Dimal, Javaphile and 1 others like this.

I have exactly the same setup - BES920 with Specialita. Good choice.
    Although I don't have experience other people got.

With good enough beans you should not have any problem ( should be able to choke the machine ).

I agree with Javaphile - ignore double wall basket - you got pressure from the basket but not from the coffee.
    I agree with evel3ninja too - the grinder got "endless" adjustment. So 0 is just a reference point for small adjustments - ignore these numbers, they are useless.

One important thing a lot of people are forgetting (or not aware of): you can dial to finer ("Fine") when grinder is running ONLY. Otherwise you will be jamming ground coffee in the burr and stressing adjustment mechanism - you can probably even break it if you push it too hard.

Another important (but less dangerous) thing: Specialita doses by time. As long as you keep changing grind size you will be getting different amount of ground coffee for the same time on the grinder control panel. This makes the process a bit more spontaneous - you adjust grinder finer but you get less coffee. So it doesn't mean your extraction will go slower.
    To "make it right" you have to adjust weight (grinder timer) every time you change the grind size.
    To make this process a lot easier 0.1g kitchen scales are highly recommended.