Like Tree12Likes
  • 10 Post By gonzob
  • 2 Post By noidle22

Thread: La Pav boiler nut tool

La Pav boiler nut tool

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All.

My La Pav Pro boiler started to turn relative to the base. I looked up solutions and discovered that the brass nut on the bottom needed to be tightened. Now this might have been simple at the factory when the unit is just a boiler and a base to be assembled, but once it has all the wiring, pressure gauge, sight glass, etc attached it then becomes difficult to do without damaging something, or doing a completed disassembly.

Solutions included getting a punch and hammer and tapping the odd-shaped nut in a clockwise direction. Easy to break something.

So, I made a tool:

It would have been nicer if it were round, but I didn't have any circular tube that big. You need 85mm ID. This RHS was close enough.

The large cut-outs at the bottom are to clear the tabs and pressure sensor pipe. The tiny cut-outs at the bottom engage the brass ribs in the nut, and actually do the tightening.The round holes are for putting a socket bar through to get leverage.

It was still awkward to do, but it worked. If I really try hard I can still turn the boiler, but it's much better.

Hope this helps someone else...

Gonzo

nice work

This is a real design flaw in the La Pavoni (Italian engineering...) I've tried the hammer option and ended up warping one of the holes and had to retap it .. the brass is quite soft, I might try and do something similar with plumbing pipe .

Quote Originally Posted by gonzob View Post
    Hi All.

My La Pav Pro boiler started to turn relative to the base. I looked up solutions and discovered that the brass nut on the bottom needed to be tightened. Now this might have been simple at the factory when the unit is just a boiler and a base to be assembled, but once it has all the wiring, pressure gauge, sight glass, etc attached it then becomes difficult to do without damaging something, or doing a completed disassembly.

Solutions included getting a punch and hammer and tapping the odd-shaped nut in a clockwise direction. Easy to break something.

So, I made a tool:

It would have been nicer if it were round, but I didn't have any circular tube that big. You need 85mm ID. This RHS was close enough.

The large cut-outs at the bottom are to clear the tabs and pressure sensor pipe. The tiny cut-outs at the bottom engage the brass ribs in the nut, and actually do the tightening.The round holes are for putting a socket bar through to get leverage.

It was still awkward to do, but it worked. If I really try hard I can still turn the boiler, but it's much better.

Hope this helps someone else...

Gonzo

Can just use one of these oil wrenches, the three jaws lock into place on the three rounded parts on the large brass nut. Have to be careful that it's nice and secure before applying too much force but as it's not an impact or a sharp object, there's minimal chance of damage occurring. The worst case is it slips off and hits something important.

Dimal and magnafunk like this.