Thread: getting used to my new 6910 - but I have some Qs.

DIG

getting used to my new 6910 - but I have some Qs.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have just upgraded from my old cafe roma with a home-modified basket (non-pressurised), to a EM6910. What a different machine! It is a fair bit more complicated, but I am starting to get the hang of it and now I have at least equaled the quality of the brews my cafe roma could produce, but so far I am not sure I would be able to tell the difference in a blind test. The main advantage so far is that the milk steaming is much faster. I have a few questions that I hope someone can help with:

1. my puck is never dry like it used to be in the breville cafe roma. Do others get a nice dry puck from the 6910?
    2. With my current grind setting and tamp pressure, the pressure gauge tends to go to about 3:00 oclock, then eases back about half way through the pour to about 2:00 or 2:30 . Is it normal that it doesnt stay constant and should I be more concerned about where it starts or where it ends (not counting when it drops back to zero).
    3. When I switch on the hot water dispenser (right hand nozzle), hot water also runs out of the group head. Is this a fault? (seems to be).
    4. Should I remove the filter basket from the PF after each use to clean it, or is it sufficient just to flush water through it, and any tricks on how to remove it (This might seem like a dumb question, but I find it is jammed in pretty hard (much harder than the Breville) and typically when I prise it off with a teaspoon, it flys across the kitchen).
    5. When I turn the PF all the way to the right to seal it on, the two spouts are crooked to the machine and dont line up with the two holes in the tray. Is that normal or am I twisting it more than necessary.

Thanks in advance. DIG

Re: getting used to my new 6910 - but I have some

Hi DIG,

Some fair questions there...

My EM6910, the spouts dont line up either... I wouldnt be concerned about that.

The dry puck, or lack thereof... is because you are under dosing - how about going a tad courser and dosing up... this will "tighten" the PF sooner in the group..... Which leads to your other question about the gauge, which again is indicating you are under dosing... up the dose and youll find the gauge stays in the specific area, just past the point of black..say... 2:30-3:00 oclock

The dripping hotwater spout - mine does the same thing... tighten the knob just a little bit more and it stops..

Hope this helps....

Question for you - how are you dosing into the PF?

DIG

Thanks alot MarcS
    I am dosing into the PD directly via the spout on my grinder (0480). This is a bit messy as you would probably know with coffee grounds not all landing in the PF. I top it up to brimming over, then gently tamp, then another top up, then firm tamp (probably about 10kg). Typically the top of the coffee is about 8mm below the lip of the basket after the firm tamp. My silly sunbeam tamper doesnt fit down into the basket below about 8mm anyway because the plastic handle is slightly wider than the metal base so if I dont top it up enough I cant tamp it very firmly at all. Might be time for a pullman...

A couple of times I found the puck stayed stuck to the shower screen when I pulled the PF off. Not sure what this indicates.

It is not so mch that the hot water spout drips, the problem is that hot water also comes out of the central group head when I activate the hot water spout. I dont use it much or probably not at all typically, so it doesnt pose much of a problem, I was just curious cos it doesnt seem right.

How about question 4. Am I breaking all the rules and being terribly lazy by not removing the basket and washing out the PF every time?
    Cheers
    DIG

8 mm below the tip is way under dosed!... You want 2-3mil at the most! This is why it is also sticking to the Shower screen.

Q4: Id get into the habit of cleaning it with water at least every day... not after making a coffee though... way too common... you need to "bed-in" the circlip in the PF so that it becomes easier to remove the basket... it does get better...

DIG

Ok thanks, but the only way I will get it that high up after a firm tamp is to do the light tamp routine a couple of times I think. Maybe I am tamping too hard (but I read that most people seem to recommend 15kg and I checked this on the bathroom scale) Anyway, I will give it a try and thanks for the tip. Obviously I will also have to make it a couple of clicks courser or the pressure will be way too high.

No, still tamp with pressure...dont change this...

What you need to do is this..

Dose, filling the basket well, then collapse with a light few taps on the bench and light tamp if you so desire , then dose again filling the basket well... then using your fingers press down and level the grinds.. then do your hard final tamp... you should have 2-3mil clearance...

DIG

OK, I got it to 3 ml clearance after my hard tamp. And...choke. The pressure needle went right into the red and hardly anything came out. My 0480 grinder is set on 16 (I used to have it on 12 with my old Cafe Roma) but I guess the main difference here is that there is a lot more coffee for the water to get through with the larger basket of the EM6910. So, I ditched that brew and started again (but did note a fairly solid puck which was one achievement). This time I set the grinder on 18 (and maybe subconciously I tamped a bit softer but it was still a pretty firm tamp). This time the brew ran too quickly (I was so distracted I forgot to time it) and pressure didnt get high enough (roughly 1 oclock). It blonded a bit at the end of the pour too (i use the double espresso pre-set button), but it had much better crema than I have had before on this machine and the coffee tasted good (and less bitter I think, although with my standard 1 sugar it is a bit hard to tell). The puck was solid but a bit soft and wet compared to the last one. So, somewhere in the middle should do it - tomorrow morning Ill have the grinder set on 17, with everything else the same, and will hopefully get pretty close.

r u using double basket? try getting it all going on the single first (use single shot button to start with also for ease of use).
    I get rock hard dry pucks every shot, always pumping in the black zone. I OVERdose 10mm! then tamp light, tap light to get the grinds back in, the TAMP HARD.
    My grinder is on 10 although i start at 12 with a fresh batch of beans generally.
    I leave the basket in until my routine overhaul cleans, but after every shot, i bang out, then rinse under hot tap (im next to sink), then purge shower with manual button, and wipe quickly shower, then purge with PF under/in.
    This system is working very well for me,,,, hope i give u some ideas.. water spout? to slow even to bother with especiallly is you got a hot tap next to machine :-)

I use the manual button only on the 6910 at work and have convinced everyone to taste without sugar first and they all then decided it didnt need any.

DIG

Thanks for the additional advice Gaggiaboy. I always make coffee for two, and hate making two consecutively, which is why I use the double basket into two latte glasses, but I will try a single basket as well. Missing those nice dry pucks.

TG - I am a bit of a sweet tooth. I read your suggestion about not needing sugar with a good espresso once before. I tried this with my previous machine....blyacchh. Too bitter for me (maybe overextracted therefore), but, once I have things working a bit better on my 6910 (good pressure, good timing, nice consistency etc, I will give it another go.

One sugar is not a sweet tooth.

My boss tried his espresso without his one sugar.
    Made on the 6910.
    So its possible.

Remember to use the manual button.

yep, use the manual button as TG has said... you have more control over it...

Looks like your getting there with the dosage... good stuff!

To be honest youll probably find the results more consistent with the double basket; singles can be a bit finnicky due to their more complicated profile, so Id suggest the reverse of gaggiaboys advice. Youll definitely have to adjust the grinder from what the old machine had; different baskets, pressures, temperatures etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pullman link=1188823103/0#12 date=1188955064
    To be honest youll probably find the results more consistent with the double basket; singles can be a bit finnicky due to their more complicated profile, so Id suggest the reverse of gaggiaboys advice. Youll definitely have to adjust the grinder from what the old machine had; different baskets, pressures, temperatures etc.
    I second that! ;) Sorry gaggiaboy... The double basket will be much easier for you to get the hang of than the single. Plus it seems you are making for two anyway so there wont be any wasted :)

DIG

Ok, good. I rarely use the single basket so I would prefer to work out the optimal conditions on the double. Although, that said, when I updose to the point where the double is nearly full after tamping, there is so much coffee in the basket that it is pretty strong. I have also read here that the 6910 baskets are unusually large capacity. At risk of sounding like a coffee wimp, I am starting to wonder if I can get two decent lattes out of an uploaded single basket (which probably holds a similar amount to the old double basket of my cafe roma). Do any of you folks use a single basket to produce two coffees, or should I be ashamed of myself for suggesting such a thing. I realise that this would mean that the volume of coffee would be only about 15ml in each glass, but if it is as strong as it has been, then it will still probably make a decent strength latte once topped up with milk.

PS. Still tinkering with optimal grind settings, I am not quite there yet but am confident that I will be soon.

Everyone is different DIG. I think if you start on the single you will find yourself getting used to the strength and then go to the double basket. Also depends on the beans you buy. I have a Di Bella atm the moment and a double shot latte is perfect for me!

IMO its all about what make you happy because its you that has to enjoy it.

Sue

DIG

Yes, very true Sue. I think I tend toward stronger rather than weaker coffee but I think two decent strength Lattes might be achievable using the single basket (which holds a similar amount to the double basket on my old cafe roma). Was just curious to see if others do this, but you are right, if it works for me, that is really all that matters. I am currently using fresh locally roasted beans from Coffea in Elizabeth St Melbourne. It is called Fidels Blend and it is rich and full bodied and very much suited to my taste.

Yeah each to his own. My advice was from my experience, and single has made my system HEAPS more consistent than double which i started off with in the 6910, and can i add used ALWAYS the double on my classic.... mmm its a strange world we live in!